Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Anyone ever read... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kinthia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:36 pm
Has anyone ever read The Catcher in the Rye, The Jungle, and Lord of the flies? I've only just started reading them, and well, I know the first two are good, but I'm unsure of Lord of The Flies.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:17 pm
We - my family and I - listened to The Lord of the Flies on tape in the car on the way to and from North Carolina. It was a pretty good book, however parts of it were rather graphic and disturbing, it's not the kind of book that makes you want to read it again. But it is a classic! So I'd recomend it.

I haven't read the other two.  

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 am
I've only read Catcher in the Rye. It was for school and I didn't like it at all. It was so goddamn whiny. stare

Maybe it was just because I had to read it for school though. Don't remember it much.

Have to admit I don't even know the other two >.<

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 pm
I must agree on the whiny part for Catcher in the Rye. It seems he's always complaining about how peole are "morons".  

Kinthia

Jojibear

4,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:51 am
ljosberinn
I've only read Catcher in the Rye. It was for school and I didn't like it at all. It was so goddamn whiny. stare

Maybe it was just because I had to read it for school though. Don't remember it much.

Have to admit I don't even know the other two >.<

I agree with you there. Catcher in the Rye is a very whinny book and it just switched off after a while.

I haven't read the other two.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:49 pm
I've heard Lord of the Flies is good, though I expect that it's graphic.

I've never read any of them, but I plan too.  

Tarantellatears

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:22 pm
I've heard of Lord of the Flies, and want to read it. The others, I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:25 pm
I was forced to read Lord of the Flies last year for school. It was decently written. I would not tell you not to read it, but it wouldn't be my first reccomendation.  

odish42

Obiageli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:34 pm
I am a big fan of Lord of the Flies. I have read it several times. You do not want to know how many times. It is one of those books that you can gain something from every time you read it. I love the allegory and symbolism. If you think it is about little boys on an island, you have not read this book. I love the irony in this book. I enjoy the characters and what they symbolize as well. My favorite character is Simon and who he symbolizes. I cannot stand Roger. I do enjoy Jack and his conflict with Ralph. If you need to read this book for school and have a question that I can help you with. Please send me a PM. I can help. I do know this book very well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:29 pm
I've yet to read Catcher in the Rye, but I have read Lord of the Flies several times and I would recommend it. Just to see what happens to people when there are no rules and nothing gaurding their humanity but themselves! It's really good.  

lady_ruler_of_the_zombies

Aekea Cleric

6,575 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Forum Regular 100

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:05 pm
My sister got me Lord of the Flies as a Christmas. I have yet to read it however since I got fourteen other books as well.

Although I'm determinded to read it before I study it next year in grade eleven. Apparently the English teacher whom studies it is a little bit of a fanatic about the book. It's to the point where reading it becomes horrible.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:27 am
I read Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies. I liked Catcher quite a bit, but I just wanted to slam the characters into walls in Lord of the Flies.  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 am
I read both The Jungle and The Catcher in the Rye, in highschool. That's been a few years ago wink . I have a copy of Catcher that I picked up used at a book sale. Perhaps I should read it again. I remember The Jungle quite well. Upton Sinclair wrote a very vivid story. I'll never forget the horrors of the meat packing plants. It left quite an impression on me, the poverty, the hardships of the times. I would definitely recommend that book. I've never read Lord of the Flies, but I'm pretty sure I saw the movie.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:31 am
Depending on which movie you saw, it could have been awful. The version I watched had me laughing hysterically at the out-of-place music in the backround.  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:07 pm
-Swamp Sparrow-
Depending on which movie you saw, it could have been awful. The version I watched had me laughing hysterically at the out-of-place music in the backround.

I'm thinking I saw the movie back in the 80's and I found it disturbing. About a group of boys who turn all mean and violent?? I should google it. I don't remember watching the whole movie. burning_eyes  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff