Discussion: Set Items Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Perverse

Big Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm
I've been a regular/semi-reg in AT since early 2004, and back then layering options were a lot more limited than they are now. Back then it was usually deemed to be acceptable if you wore up to two items of a set but no more. I even remember seeing something about it in one of the stickies. However, someone castigated me today for wearing two items and told me it was frowned-upon in AT.

Just how many items from a set are you allowed to wear without being marked away for it? Why is it that some users can wear an entire set and still get marked high for it while others get super-low marks for it? Does your personal opinion differ from what seems to be the accepted norm?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:36 pm
[x]
In early 2004 I came into the AT in with a jacket and pants of the same set and asked for a rate. I got huge flames in response, only one poster took the time to explain why to me. I didn't come back to the AT for a few months after that. Now in days if you have two set items and make it work well, I'll just mention that you're using a set in my rate. I have yet to see anyone ask for a rate while wearing a full set or more than two items.

I avoid set items like rape, I think it makes avatar creation too easy. But that's a personal philosophy I don't hold to others.

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Perverse

Big Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 pm
I mentioned the full set mostly due to Barbieslave. She once used an entire set (I forget which one) and still managed to get 10s from almost all the raters.

Is it due to popularity?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:25 pm
I usually allow up to 2 items from one set before I claim it at setting.
I sometimes use more than one item, myself, but it's usually Medical gloves along with something else.
It also depends on what else will work.
My current outfit has 3 items from one set, but other white shows cover the socks, other white gloves don't layer, and other white skirts's shades are wrong and don't go with the wool top or bone helm.

I'm more likely to allow setting on an avvie with lots of items, or unless there's nothing that it could be swapped for. If you can in with 4 items, 3 of which were from a set, then no. =\

About Barbieslave: Yes, most likely. That, and because she is a purple-namer.

Saffrin

Qwannah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 pm
heart

Just how many items from a set are you allowed to wear without being marked away for it? - 1. Cha' First time I come into the AT. I was marked with; 1/10, set/10. Actually I can give you link also.
Why is it that some users can wear an entire set and still get marked high for it while others get super-low marks for it? - Popularity. Pshaw. I do not give anyone with a set a 10/10.
Does your personal opinion differ from what seems to be the accepted norm? - Heck yes >.<. Totally more into the fashionrealisticlifestylewithadashofflow instead of LOLZBBQMATCHMATCHMATCH!, which most people in the AT rate with. <3.

Actually I can get you the link of that rating thread up there <3.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:32 pm
It might have something to do with popularity, but really now.
What is popularity in the AT?
A regular who is able to build well-thought and creative avatars.

If a popular person can still get 9's and 10's even with multiple items from a set, it's more likely that they made it creative and different, as opposed to someone just throwing on a set and some starter hair and asking for a rate.
The general populace of the AT also know that the "popular" person they are rating that has a set on knows that he/she has a set and is purposely doing it to obtain a certain effect.
They aren't doing it blindly like some do.

I dislike whole sets, but I don't count out for two items from the same set as long as they are set further apart from each other.
A coat and pants from the same set bother me, as they are placed so close together and kind of make it obvious that the person couldn't manage with any other items.
However, it depends on their theme and stuffs.

WinRAR

Lucca Ashtear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:53 pm
Some sets work better than others when it comes to using lots of items with a creative avatar. Using the 70s set is almost a recipe for an avatar that can't possibly be creative, because it covers your whole body and doesn't leave much room for customization... but the cat set isn't nearly so bad. Why? Because some sets are composed near-entirely of accessories.

It also helps to use different colors within the same set, if you do use a set.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:13 pm
WinRAR
It might have something to do with popularity, but really now.
What is popularity in the AT?
A regular who is able to build well-thought and creative avatars.

If a popular person can still get 9's and 10's even with multiple items from a set, it's more likely that they made it creative and different, as opposed to someone just throwing on a set and some starter hair and asking for a rate.
The general populace of the AT also know that the "popular" person they are rating that has a set on knows that he/she has a set and is purposely doing it to obtain a certain effect.
They aren't doing it blindly like some do.

I dislike whole sets, but I don't count out for two items from the same set as long as they are set further apart from each other.
A coat and pants from the same set bother me, as they are placed so close together and kind of make it obvious that the person couldn't manage with any other items.
However, it depends on their theme and stuffs.

Popularity, to me, is all based on perception.

Just because someone is known for making good avatars it shouldn't give them a label that all their avatars are good by default. Since when does reputation substitute for actually expending effort to create an avatar? I just don't think it's fair to hold certain people to these ridiculously high standards while breezing by them for others who are well-known. And just because they were aiming for a look doesn't mean they couldn't find other items to use. If someone is using a whole set then it just seems like they were cutting corners to me, no matter who it is.

Popularity isn't solely based on good creative abilities either. I've made quite a few high-rated avatars during my time in AT and I'm nowhere near the status of "popular".

Perverse

Big Member

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 pm
To me it depends on the set, and how it is executed.
I've used various set items in the past something just need to go together sometimes. Not to mention these days some sets don't even look like sets.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:49 am
-[User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. domokun User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]-

User Image

It's all personal opinion. I believe that if it works well, then there is no need to lower the score.

And I do think there is an element of popularity. Take a thread made by [K!ng] or (Omnimoderate) for example. They usually get a good amount of rates in a short amount of time. Then compare that with the amount of time it took a few of my friends to get a single rate and.......yeah. xD
But for a good amount, popularity doesn't effect the score.

-[[Yreka!]]-

Svetlano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:24 am
Perverse
I mentioned the full set mostly due to Barbieslave. She once used an entire set (I forget which one) and still managed to get 10s from almost all the raters.

Is it due to popularity?

Probably.

I think two items isn't that bad if your using a set. I normally take off 1 point or .5 for it. When I started in the AT the sets thing was a big big deal if you did it you were a noob and should be smacked with a rusty nail.

If you can do it then do it and make it look good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:56 am
I believe it was the nurses set Barbie used?
Ive used 3 pieces of the nurses set, skirt, top & hat and received 10's.

AT rates are very biased twords older members who are popular... Mainly because people like to suck up because they think its going to help them become popular or some s**t. When in reality it just makes them look like foolish and n00blike.

Like the other day Joey made a rating thread and her outfit completely sucked... she knew it sucked... She still got 10s. rolleyes  

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Svetlano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am
candycrack

AT rates are very biased twords older members who are popular... Mainly because people like to suck up because they think its going to help them become popular or some s**t. When in reality it just makes them look like foolish and n00blike.

Like the other day Joey made a rating thread and her outfit completely sucked... she knew it sucked... She still got 10s. rolleyes

Was that one look with the fish helmet? I gave that a 10 or close to it. whee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:07 pm
Svetlano
candycrack

Was that one look with the fish helmet? I gave that a 10 or close to it. whee

No it was a different one, I can't even describe it as it was truly one of the worse ones I have ever seen her make. She was having some major creativity block at the time and yeah, horrible. I felt bad even rating her cause I normally love her avs. For the most part only older members and friends told her their honest opinions everyone gave her a 9 or 10.

The suck-up rates are also one of the reasons I don't make rate me threads. I made one yesterday and that was my first in months... sadly all I got was comments that had nothing to do with anything. u.u  

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Risika7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:05 pm
once in a while i will use two items from a set, but most the time its not even caught that i do it. If you use them where its hardly noticable i don't think it matters..but when you use a lot of them...or right next to each other..then its a big deal.  

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games