Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Alter waste? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:18 am
My friend told me last night that "Alters are for people who are idiots who dont realise that the god and goddess are everywhere"

I dont understand why he said that, calling alters a waste. I didnt get to aurgue back with him, but I will as soon as I see him agian....

What is everyone's view's on what he said?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:31 am
First of all, it's spelt altar. Secondly, we know the god and goddess don't live in the altar. It's simply a place in the circle that you can place your tools and such upon while doing a rit. It also helps create a focal point in the center if you're consecrating something.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

purplekitty

Tipsy Tipper

7,500 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:12 am
He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Yes the god and goddess are everywhere but that doesn't mean that an AlTaR is a waste. Its there to asist you in mediatitions/prayers/circle casting/spells and so on. Just like what Nihilistic Seraph said, its there to "creat a focal point."

So basically he is the idiot domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 am
I wouldn't say he's an idiot (being a bit harsh, aren't we?)

The speaker has his point. A whole lot of people get caught up on physical objects and spending lots of money for tools when none of that is really needed. They serve as focuses, and often that's their only function. So as others have said, an Altar acts as a focus.  

Starlock
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:31 pm
Altars act as a focus, yes, but they also serve as permanent sacred space, when they're able to be left intact. I know I make use of mine quite often for an energy boost after a particularly trying and tiring day. Yes, the god and the goddess are everywhere, but sometimes it's nice to have a formal place to allow the energy to settle in a greater volume.

Your friend seems to be, firstly, a bit mislead, and secondly on a bit of a power trip after having done some very limited research. It's not worth arguing the point with him, since he is entitled to his opinion. But it doesn't mean he gets to cram it down your throat, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:28 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
First of all, it's spelt altar. Secondly, we know the god and goddess don't live in the altar. It's simply a place in the circle that you can place your tools and such upon while doing a rit. It also helps create a focal point in the center if you're consecrating something.
I thought I had spelled it wrong XD. Well thats a true statement :3. I tried to tell him...  

QueenCrystal

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:31 pm
Starlock
I wouldn't say he's an idiot (being a bit harsh, aren't we?)

The speaker has his point. A whole lot of people get caught up on physical objects and spending lots of money for tools when none of that is really needed. They serve as focuses, and often that's their only function. So as others have said, an Altar acts as a focus.
Thats true, but for my altar, I spend as less as possible, I dont worry about all the fancy stuff ETC...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:33 pm
purplekitty
He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Yes the god and goddess are everywhere but that doesn't mean that an AlTaR is a waste. Its there to asist you in mediatitions/prayers/circle casting/spells and so on. Just like what Nihilistic Seraph said, its there to "creat a focal point."

I wouldnt call him an idiot either XD but I do think he has researched so less that hes just throwing things in there.  

QueenCrystal

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:38 pm
Gypsy Blue
Altars act as a focus, yes, but they also serve as permanent sacred space, when they're able to be left intact. I know I make use of mine quite often for an energy boost after a particularly trying and tiring day. Yes, the god and the goddess are everywhere, but sometimes it's nice to have a formal place to allow the energy to settle in a greater volume.

Your friend seems to be, firstly, a bit mislead, and secondly on a bit of a power trip after having done some very limited research. It's not worth arguing the point with him, since he is entitled to his opinion. But it doesn't mean he gets to cram it down your throat, either.
So true. I know it isnt. He's not A Wiccan, but he's considered one because of what he's capiable of. He calls the elements "Wind, Thunder, Fire Water" I dunno what the hell's in his head, but he is capiable of doing much, w/o having an alter.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:42 pm
I don't have an altar, but I don't think it's a stupid waste. If anything, creating your own space brings comfort, peace, predictability, and all of those comforting ideas. I like what the others said about a "focal point".  

Grip of Death

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:48 pm
Grip of Death
I don't have an altar, but I don't think it's a stupid waste. If anything, creating your own space brings comfort, peace, predictability, and all of those comforting ideas. I like what the others said about a "focal point".
*Nods agreeingly*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:00 pm
I have a question, also. To represent the god and goddess on my altar, Can I have a Gold angel, bowwing, as the god, and a Silver angel bowwing as the goddess. I think that if I let the god and goddess know then its alright, right?  

QueenCrystal

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:07 pm
QueenCrystal
I have a question, also. To represent the god and goddess on my altar, Can I have a Gold angel, bowwing, as the god, and a Silver angel bowwing as the goddess. I think that if I let the god and goddess know then its alright, right?
The gold and silver for god and goddess respectively sounds good. As for having the figurines as angels, I'm not to sure. While the gods can take whatever shape you imagine them to be, angels are historically inferior to deities, being spirits themselves, so it might be a bit disprespectful. Bottom line, I'm not sure, ask someone else xd blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:43 pm
i will agree with every one that ur friend is a moron. however i do not have an altar, as that i cant have one. my parents would find it and freak out. so i opt not to use one  

Akwila

purplekitty

Tipsy Tipper

7,500 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 am
QueenCrystal
purplekitty

I wouldnt call him an idiot either XD but I do think he has researched so less that hes just throwing things in there.
heheh...yadda..sorry just got all worked up. sweatdrop  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces