Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Elizabethan dress Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 pm
So, my most common form of craftting/sewing is well, Elizabethan period sewing. So... I bring forth to share- photos of last years dress! (I made everything I'm wearing- I be the one in green in the front)

User Image

(I am an actor for the Ohio Ren faire- the three ladies played the Maids of Honor of Queen Elizabeth, and the guy is our way to cute to be historical Duc D'Alencon. The running joke was everyone loved the Duc.)

In this case- the evrything I'm wearing includes- bloomers, chemise, corset, bum roll, hoop skirt, underskirt, over skirt, bodice, formal sleeves, supportose, snood, and hat (hate the hat).  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:44 pm
GORGEOUS!!!

you are so teh awesome! how long did it take to make all that?

i've been toying with victorian garb... but so far can't do much more than the underwear. mad props!  

anashenwrath

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:16 am
And who wouldn't love the Duc if he looks like that!

and mundo good job there
I am way impressed

*gives you +3 points in impressive*  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:30 am
Wow, great job with the sewing and authenticity.
I once crocheted a snood made out of ribbon for a Civil War reenactor but she wasn't allowed to wear it at the ball because the ribbon wasn't period. We hadn't seen a problem with using polyester satin ribbon, but the leader of her group threw a hissy fit.

A note on your sig: You've met the wrong people from the SCA. The ones I knew were completely and utterly wonderful people.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:07 am
The only thing that can be said is... wow... and where do you get your fabrics? All I can find around where I live (admittedly not to far from the middle of nowhere) are quilting fabrics... sigh.
The dress is amazing. How long do your creations tend to take you to um... create?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:09 am
blaugh heart 4laugh

All in all, I was rather rushed on it so it would be ready by opening weekend, but we estimate about 70 hours. My dress for next year (which will be started as soon as my trim gets here), will likely take upwards of 100 +.

Fabrics were mainly purchased at Jo-annes. The greens I got on sale from a drapery shop that used to be near my house- the only location left now though is in Cinci, Oh, cause the poeple who work there are mean. ><

And as far as the SCA thing, they're fine- till I mention I'm a rennie. Then my friends and all my interests are mocked and they treat me like s**t. Sorry, but I'm tired of the closemindedness. ><  

Silver Mist

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:06 am
Wow, that is AWESOME! Great job! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:47 am
I wish I had the patterns and cloth to do that stuff.... I've made myself some long skirts because that's all I can bring myself to wear, but I long for something more... Ornate...  

Maer^ier

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:50 am
Wow! Nice job.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 am
Maer^ier
I wish I had the patterns and cloth to do that stuff.... I've made myself some long skirts because that's all I can bring myself to wear, but I long for something more... Ornate...

I only used three patterns- one for the bloomers, one for the chemise (to get the sleeves right) and one for the corset. Everything you actually see cant really be made with a pattern. >< And the chemise patterns and corset apttern came form a hitosical patterning site. (www.alteryears.com- the corset kit the sell is awesome, but if you get one, there are some modifcations worht making to the pattern).

The skirts are rather simple, really (its the trim thats a b***h), and the bodice is custom fitted to the womans corseted size. Thus, a hand drawn pattern for each person.

As far as cloth- its 6 yards of 60" for the overskirt and bodice, 2 yards of 60" for the forepart (visible peice of the underskirt) and sleeves, 2 yards for the chemise, 2 for the bloomers, 1 yard and stuffing for the bum roll, 4 yards for the remainder of the underskirt, and I actually cheated and bought that hoop skirt (ran out of time), so I'm not sure about yardage for it. >< ...wow, thats a lot of cloth xd  

Silver Mist

Beboots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:58 pm
Woah - wicked awesome! XD I am very envious of your sewing skills.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:28 pm
wow eek i wish i could sew but alas my sewing skills are dismal and sewing machines hate me.  

PoppyDadswell

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:50 pm
My mothers machine is a 55 year old Singer. It hated me till I got confindence- which I got off of using a friends newer, rather dummy proof, but still awesome, machine. ^^ Now mummies singer and I like each other. ^^ (and I get moms machine when she dies- its in writing XD- just like she got it from her mom).

Oh! I got pics of details (trims and beading not clear in the distance pic), but I need to stop being lazy and upload them. Ill have them tonight or tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:25 pm
User Image

The beading on the forepart (the gold silk seen in the front on the skirts)

User Image

Close up of the trim that goes down the front and around the bottom of the over skirt. ^^ (its four layers ><)  

Silver Mist

pheonixearth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 pm
I really like it!! Was the hoop skirt heavy?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff