Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Sentence diagrams. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:43 pm
Does anybody do these anymore?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:41 pm
I remember how to do them. I used to have to do a sentence diagram of the preamble(?) of the Declaration of Indepence. xp  

Zealot of Insanity

Angel80272

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:17 pm
I always hated doing those in school, but once I moved from a private school to a public one, I noticed that I was the only person that even knew what a sentence diagram was. Even the teachers were clueless.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:40 pm
tiger80272
I always hated doing those in school, but once I moved from a private school to a public one, I noticed that I was the only person that even knew what a sentence diagram was. Even the teachers were clueless.

Huh. I learned them in a public school.

Granted, my English teacher at the time (8th grade) was awesome.  

The Man who was Thursday

Angel80272

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:21 pm
You started in 8th grade? I was diagramming sentences from third grade to eighth grade. I still don't understand the point, but it was rather fun once you got to compound-complex sentences with prepositional phrases and adverbs describing adverbs.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 am
tiger80272
You started in 8th grade? I was diagramming sentences from third grade to eighth grade. I still don't understand the point, but it was rather fun once you got to compound-complex sentences with prepositional phrases and adverbs describing adverbs.

Started and finished.

Actually, come to think of it, I might've done them at some point in elementary school, but I don't remember.

The point was to understand the function of each and every word in the sentence.  

The Man who was Thursday

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:06 pm
I remember learning them in middle school and then having to do them every now and again in jr high... but I never use them anymore. I guess they helped me to learn how to form a sentance, but I really do think that they're somewhat pointless.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:12 pm
I've heard of sentence diagrams, but have never actually done them.

Indepence Independence, sentance sentence

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:55 pm
I learned how to do them in a grammar class at my college. I had no idea about such things before then, so I am surprised that people actually learned them much earlier in school.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:00 am
Well, my school prided itself in the quality of education that it delivered; they were a full year ahead of public schools when comparing grade levels. I don't use diagrams anymore, but I guess I do see why we had to learn them. Seeing exactly where every word in a sentence fits really helps you obtain a larger grasp on the English language.  

Angel80272

limp dick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 pm
Yes, I remember those.
I remember learning all of the different structural sentences and all that jazz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:19 pm
I learned them in my public school in seventh grade. We spent an entire term doing them, but not all class. My school district is considered one of the best in the state, and my state is high in the national rank, as well.  

Sachiko13

xBSJGx

Liberal Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:16 am
Wow, I though my school didn't learn anything I need to know.
But I learned diagrams for sentences.
It can really help you know how to write a sentence correctly, and
know the parts of speeches, and everything esle like that.

But I wish I knew more. And I only learn it in 10th grade. Im still in 10th grade.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm
Is there a Wiki for this? I've seen them, but I've never been taught how to do them. I kind of want to learn just for the heck of it.  

Ellis Bell Esq.

Thirteenth Partier

400 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:06 pm
XBSGJ: though thought, Im I'm

OK, enough talking about it. Let's do it.

Jerry walked with Terri up the grocery store and bought some apples.

That seems like a nice, simple sentence. I've never diagrammed a sentence, so please don't kill me if I'm incorrect.

Jerry and Terri are the subjects. Walked is the verb. The grocery store is the... target?

OK, I give up. Someone who actually knows what they're doing please take over.

i am very literate
You are? Well that's funny, because to me, it looks like you're missing something.
yeah what
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized. All you need to do is hold down the Shift key while typing the letter.

When you write the letter "I" in reference to yourself, it is always supposed to be uppercase (same as capitalized).

Oh, I didn't know that Am I literate now
Almost. There's just one more thing you need.
What else
Punctuation. When your sentence comes to an end, it needs either a period (.), exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) (for questions only). Otherwise, it's not complete.
Oh, I get it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I'm truly literate!
it's not a problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Capitalize those I's! Punctuate that sentence's posterior. Not capitalizing a sentence's first letter is the same as decapitating it.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff