Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Gothy Decorating Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

infektionxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:05 am
Ideas/projects or tips on/about gothy deco/decorating!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:48 am
Personally, I'm a fan of stringing little white faerie lights everywhere. They give a nice, muted glow to a room that looks a lot more soft and magical than regular ceiling lights. If you can find some good quality fake ivy, you can twine them together and make lighted garlands.

Candles make great lighting too. I like Illuminations, and it's a great place to look just after Halloween. That's when their creepiest candleholders and accents go on sale. Also, try scrounging around in your local charity shops. You never know when gothy-looking candlesticks will show up on the cheap.

I love medieval tapestries and a nice one can add a fantastic touch to even the barest room. There are some gorgeous ones here if you want to admire some high-ticket items. (Check out the Medieval and William Morris sections!) But if the pricetag's daunting, the next best thing is a block-printed bedsheet from India. They come in all sorts of colours and patterns, and some will look gothy in the right setting. I had a dark, blood red one with a vine print in my dorm room. Click here for a bunch, or take a look at some Celtic options!  

Veruniel
Crew

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:01 am
Where exactly can one get little white faerie lights, Veru? That's a really awesome idea.

My friend is going to splatter-paint one of her walls with black and white.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:05 am
amber christmas lights give a nice glow to the room if they are hung along the tops of the walls and black curtains (mine are actually theater curtains from a highschool that burned down) they keep the light out and it makes the amber lights look even cooler.  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:08 am
I've found that painting your room a nice, light gray color helps to add a hazy, vaguely gloomy feel.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 am
a really cool colour that is good too is a nice dark foresty green colour... or a nice dark blue (like a midnight blue)  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:08 am
Seeing that I just finished re-decorating my room, I've got a few decent tips on decor. 3nodding

If you want your room to look like it's not in a state of complete entropy and confusion, then it may be good to think of a sort of theme or style for your room to be modelled after (for example, I decided to make my room like a Victorian room, and borrowed my color scheme form one which is common in many Victorian studies/libraries).

Once you have a vague idea of what you want your room to be like, I'd suggust shopping around for things for your room. I would highly reccomend going to thrift shops, flea markets, yard sales, discount shops, and estate sales. For furniture, websites such as craigslist and freecycle may be helpful. Between estate sales, yard sales, discount shops, and Craigslist, I was able to refurnish almost my entire bedroom for about $150... I managed to snag a genuine victorian cherry bed, a cherry nighgthstand, a chair, a bookcase, a coat rack, and a WWII army trunk for that price. I still need a new carpet and a new bearu, but I'll get those eventually.
I've also found some really nice accessories at thrift shops and discount stores. I have tons of candle holders, figurines, antique books, art prints, and other such things which I've obtained fairly inexpensively.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:29 am
EvFaerAshlynn
Where exactly can one get little white faerie lights, Veru? That's a really awesome idea.

Oops. Some people may not know this... Faerie lights are what we call Christmas lights around here. It's the term for the small size, the ones people usually put on their trees.

During the holidays, you can find both white and multicoloured ones at almost any hardware store. I don't know if big places like Lowe's or Eagle Hardware carry them all year, but it'd be worth a look. Wallmart and K-mart are good places to check, too.  

Veruniel
Crew

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:40 pm
dragons, fairys, candles, incencse, idk...I put up a lot of stuff at random. A blacklight is a goodthing to put in a room. I love my blacklight, it brightens the room with purple. mrgreen and they have red ones too. And dark drapes and curtins for the windows, ya notice i like the rooms to be dark.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:50 pm
Candles everywhere and either a deep red or grey for paint. It also looks really cool when you use the clear sparkly paint as a top-coat over those colors. I makes the room look kind of like it has stars on the walls when you have on a soft light on or are burning candles.  

Corpse_Bride_131

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:00 pm
I have a lot of artwork and black and white photographs on my wall as a collage. I think velvet or lace curtains are a nice touch, I have a velvet quilt from the Victorian Trading Company (who have alot of Victorian decorations, hats, and stuffz).
Dried roses and other flowers are cool too I suppose.
I guess it depends on the look you're going for of course.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:27 pm
As with goth make-up, the number one rule to goth decorating is "Don't go overboard". Keep it simple and it'll look good. Force TOO much in and it'll come off as a gimmick, or as tacky collecting.

Go for a nice Victorian-floral or vertical-stripe wall paper, in deep purple or green. Dark-stained hardwood floors look gorgeous in combination with the wallpaper. Tie it all together with floor, crown, and chair molding and it'll look amazing. For some atmosphere, keep the light low.

Also, some singular suggestions:

- Never make anything black, only dark colors.
- Don't use too many gargoyles or stone-pieces. Too many will look tacky, like you collect them the way old ladies collect cat-statuettes or garden-gnomes.
- Floral and ivy patterns look great, but make sure all the colors work well together. Don't have a bright blue and pink couch up against a dark purple ivy-pattern wall.
- Book shelves look intelligent only if you have intelligent books to fill them.
- If you must put up posters (such as those of bands or movies), frame them. It WILL make a difference.
- Light CAN be a good thing. Don't cut your room off from all light. Little or dim light hurts some people's eyes as well.
- If you're going to hang paintings and photographs, again, make sure they fit (in color scheme) where they're going.
- Don't mix goth styles in one room. Cyber-goth and victorian goth styles don't mix well in decoration.
- Creatively hide modern appliances, if you feel they're out of place. Draping a nice sheet or clothe is an inexpensive solution, or, if you have the money, keep your electronics (TV, DVD player, etc.) in a big wood armoire that matches the other wood in the room.  

GilAskan
Crew

ketchakik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 pm
i want a coffin as a coffee table  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:25 am
OK! Oh-so appropriate!! heart  

infektionxx

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff