Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
A bed on the floor? Stupid broken frame! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

This is what I get for buying a frame used for $50.
  Can we fix it?
  Yes we can!
  (Bob the Builder is so annoying, don't you think?)
View Results

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:23 am
I know I'm posting these things like crazy, but you guys have no idea how much you've helped me with the kitchen accents and the Christmas tree decorations. I've written down all of your suggestions, and I'm slowly but surely incorporating them into my new house. Thank you all so much! Perhaps you'll bear with me with another issue?

The frame for our bed is horribly old and bent, and we tossed it the other day. Now we have three mattresses and no other option but to throw them on the floor on top of one another. Besides covering the bed with pretty throws and a nice comforter and some decorative pillows, is there anything I can do to make it look nicer? Is there some way to attach a dust ruffle to a bed with no frame? Can anyone think of any way that I can make the bed look like it has a frame without actually having a frame?

Once again, thanks for your input, guys.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:07 pm
I don't know how well it would work, but i'm willing to give my suggestion.

I would think that if you put like... straps... across where it goes over the bottom/second mattress.... going both horizontally and vertically... then put it ontop of the mattress then put the other one ontop? i dunno how well it would work.

My mommy, back when i had a dust ruffle on my bed, put velcro on my boxspring and ruffle to keep it in place.

You could try putting a bookcase at the head of the bed and a chest at the bottom? or different sized book cases on either side?

On one of the decorating shows i was watching, they mounted a cushioned head board to the wall. They took a piece of plywood or something and covered it in batting then fabric and hung it on the wall. Of coarse, this would work best if you aren't going to want to move the bed.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:09 pm
Mikono
I don't know how well it would work, but i'm willing to give my suggestion.

I would think that if you put like... straps... across where it goes over the bottom/second mattress.... going both horizontally and vertically... then put it ontop of the mattress then put the other one ontop? i dunno how well it would work.

My mommy, back when i had a dust ruffle on my bed, put velcro on my boxspring and ruffle to keep it in place.

You could try putting a bookcase at the head of the bed and a chest at the bottom? or different sized book cases on either side?

On one of the decorating shows i was watching, they mounted a cushioned head board to the wall. They took a piece of plywood or something and covered it in batting then fabric and hung it on the wall. Of coarse, this would work best if you aren't going to want to move the bed.

I like that idea. I don't know how well I could carry it out, but I'm willing to try. Once I'm a little more settled in, that is. The room is small enough that there's really only one place for the bed, so I wouldn't be moving anything anytime soon.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:23 pm
You can do as my mom has done.. Put a Mirror in a picture frame above the bed against the wall (not the ceiling! xd unless your going for the las vegas look)... useful to have interchangable frames for which ever bedspread you decide to use that week or when ever.

As for the sides of the bed.. I like her idea, except for little dressers I used end tables from a garage sale and put them on either side of the bed. As for the foor board: You can go to homedepot and get to pieces of wood and nail them together at one side to make an L shape, cover in fabric of your choice with a nail or staple gun and then slip the bottom of the L under the bed... this process can also be used for the headboard ^-^. hope my lame suggestions helped.. sweatdrop

Gothic Alice

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm
I sleep on matresses on the floor and I don't think it looks bad at all, but that may be just because I am used to the look of it. I think it makes me look like some poor student, wich is what I was. (now I am just poor)
I haven't had a bedframe for a really long time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 pm
I be me
I sleep on matresses on the floor and I don't think it looks bad at all, but that may be just because I am used to the look of it. I think it makes me look like some poor student, wich is what I was. (now I am just poor)
I haven't had a bedframe for a really long time.

Well, right now, I'm the poor student. But I'm tired of my house looking like a dorm, you know? In the past two years I've moved three times, and all of my previous places were sparsely decorated and everything that was decorated was done so pretty half-assed. And that's not me at all--I'm a home accent FREAK.

I can't live like that anymore! gonk  

Volatile Rainbow

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:20 pm
Gothic Alice
You can do as my mom has done.. Put a Mirror in a picture frame above the bed against the wall (not the ceiling! xd unless your going for the las vegas look)... useful to have interchangable frames for which ever bedspread you decide to use that week or when ever.

As for the sides of the bed.. I like her idea, except for little dressers I used end tables from a garage sale and put them on either side of the bed. As for the foor board: You can go to homedepot and get to pieces of wood and nail them together at one side to make an L shape, cover in fabric of your choice with a nail or staple gun and then slip the bottom of the L under the bed... this process can also be used for the headboard ^-^. hope my lame suggestions helped.. sweatdrop

No suggestion here is lame, m'dear. I appreciate and consider them ALL.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:46 pm
lol
I can understand that, but I am a bit the opposite way.
I love to have empty looking rooms, they are just easier to keep clean I guess.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Sir Camm

150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 pm

You can always go for an Oriental/Asian look.
Get a cheap head board and decorate it yourself. Then stack tons of pillows on your bed. Use bed and pillow coverings in rich hues.
And if you like the idea, attach some rods to your ceiling and hang a sheer fabric around your bed like those canopy beds (I'm not quite sure what its called).

Love the floor. Be the floor
blaugh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:02 am
Sir Camm

You can always go for an Oriental/Asian look.
Get a cheap head board and decorate it yourself. Then stack tons of pillows on your bed. Use bed and pillow coverings in rich hues.
And if you like the idea, attach some rods to your ceiling and hang a sheer fabric around your bed like those canopy beds (I'm not quite sure what its called).

Love the floor. Be the floor
blaugh

I like the idea of a canopy bed, but my walls and my ceiling aren't drywall, but beatboard (sp?), and I'm afraid if I try to attach anything to my ceiling that the boards will splinter.  

Volatile Rainbow

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:11 am
Volatile Rainbow

I like the idea of a canopy bed, but my walls and my ceiling aren't drywall, but beatboard (sp?), and I'm afraid if I try to attach anything to my ceiling that the boards will splinter.

We have paneling in our house and putting stuff up is just a matter of finding the studs. Nail a flatish board across the studs to use to anchor anything you want to put up. Ceilings have studs too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:34 pm
You can get MDF board, particle board, and 2X4's pretty cheap at just about any homedespot-esque place. You could just build a new frame. 2X4's and heavy duty screws should work just fine for a simple, get-it-off-the-ground project, and can be painted or hid by a bed skirt of your choosing. MDF or Particle board could be nailed into a box to slip under the bed, possibly with drawers if your feeling adventurous?

I and my mother are personally fond of the local goodwill/St Vincent DePaul/Snooty Fox locations for cheap furniture solutions. 3nodding  

Silvander

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm
Assuming you don't have a hardwood floor, there's always the standby of cinderblocks and one big sheet of plywood. Although personally I think bedframes are hideous and enjoy the floor thing...

If you, or your spouse/mate/wtfyouwanttocallit [[Small conservative town and all that jazz. Family diversity naming things still don't make sense to me.]] is handy with a saw and finish, you can get some cheap wooden chairs from the goodwill or salvation army, saw off the backs and shorten the legs and prop your bed up on those. It may be a tad high though... I don't know. It might look cool. But then there's the stability issue that I of course, didn't even think about.

Alternately, if you're up for a hippy pad, Get craploads of tulle or webbed cloth in a color that matches your decor, a huge embroidery hoop, a ceiling hook, and some string, and make yourself a lovely canopy typey thing. I've seen people that had these with the bottom edges somehow attached to mattresses on the floor, and I thought it looked pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:38 am
The canopy thing with the bed on the floor is probably how my first bedroom when I move out is oging o go. I think its an awesome solution to no bed frame. An added bonus to no bed frame- theres no squeak then. I HATE squeaky bed frames- everytime you roll over in the middle of the night, your awoken by nice loud squeak. ><  

Silver Mist

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:12 am
Silver Mist
The canopy thing with the bed on the floor is probably how my first bedroom when I move out is oging o go. I think its an awesome solution to no bed frame. An added bonus to no bed frame- theres no squeak then. I HATE squeaky bed frames- everytime you roll over in the middle of the night, your awoken by nice loud squeak. ><

Yuck. I totally agree, I hate squeaky beds. Mine doesn't squeak, but it's not a solid frame because it's a futon, so when it's set as a bed(rather than a couch) if I sit to hard the edges of the bed come off and hit the rest of the frame, which is loud.

Umm. I'd say just make a new frame. It doesn't have to be extravagent, just simple and sturdy.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff