Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Color/Colour Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:56 am
Normal people spell colour exactly like that! With an added "u". Is it only the Americans that spell it without? My Browser picked up colour as being wrong. I guess it's American.

I understand it being spelled "Color" for pronounciation-(spelling?) purposes, but if you were going to pronounce it the way it was spelled surely "cula" would be more appropriate?

I very much dislike the spelling as "color" and Gaia doesn't help with its Americanised BBcode!

(Sorry for the big rant, I'm tired and needed a big rant about something!)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 am
I second that! Color is American, while I know that colour is at least used in the U.K. (I'm not sure about other anglophone places), and I know there are some other words that suffer the same fate. I prefer colour as well, and it's annoying when Microsoft wants to change it.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 am
It's the same with honor/honour, armor/armour, labor/labour...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:55 am

This debate tends to annoy me to no end. I'm American, and I spell the word color. British people have every right to spell it colour, but I don't see as they can claim it to be more "correct" than our spelling. As far as I'm concerned, both spellings are acceptable, and that's the way it should stay.

EDIT: Same goes for the s/z debate.

Starting Once Again

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:23 am
We studied this in school. All this derived from the American Revolution. The Americans wanted to separate themselves as far from the Brits as possible. So, when the the first Webster's American Dictionary came out, they changed the spelling of the "our" words. I think it was because they found the "u" superfluous to the spelling.

Smoozle
I understand it being spelled "Color" for pronounciation-(spelling?) purposes, but if you were going to pronounce it the way it was spelled surely "cula" would be more appropriate?

We don't pronounce it "cula" (unless we speak in Ebonics) We pronounce it or at least I do. Ca-ler  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:15 am
tree of meh

This debate tends to annoy me to no end. I'm American, and I spell the word color. British people have every right to spell it colour, but I don't see as they can claim it to be more "correct" than our spelling. As far as I'm concerned, both spellings are acceptable, and that's the way it should stay.

EDIT: Same goes for the s/z debate.

I agree completely.  

Aubrey Nicole

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:33 am
Niccea Majeare
We studied this in school. All this derived from the American Revolution. The Americans wanted to separate themselves as far from the Brits as possible. So, when the the first Webster's American Dictionary came out, they changed the spelling of the "our" words. I think it was because they found the "u" superfluous to the spelling.

Smoozle

We don't pronounce it "cula" (unless we speak in Ebonics) We pronounce it or at least I do. Ca-ler

Thank you! Please don't think your spelling is better than mine. I have heard English classified as American English and English. (Not English English, that sounds weird.) I live in america and spell it color, becuase that is how I was tuaght to spell it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:02 pm
Masamune no Hi
Niccea Majeare

Smoozle

Thank you! Please don't think your spelling is better than mine. I have heard English classified as American English and English. (Not English English, that sounds weird.) I live in america and spell it color, becuase that is how I was tuaght to spell it.
I'm Texan I have a whole other way of pronouncing things.  

Niccea Majeare

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:55 pm
When it comes to sheer numbers and the age of the language, you are correct. British English is of course, much older than American English. Our way of spelling those words is the simplified (read: dumbed down) way.

As for Firefox and Word, I'm pretty certain both have alternative dictionaries for British, Canadian and Australian English available for download. I'd check out Mozilla.com because I know I saw other dictionaries available for download.

Addendum: You can get the British version of Firefox here. Just scroll down till you come to "English".  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:02 pm
I wonder why everyone instantly thought I was British?

I'M NOT BRITISH!!

OK, we may use the English language but that doesn't make me British! It also annoys me that if I imply I'm not American you automatically assume that I'm: British or in some cases Australian... (Someone thought I was an Eskimo stare ) Has NOBODY heard of New Zealand?  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

limp dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:07 pm
Honestly, it doesn't bother me much.
It's seems to me that the lone vowel doesn't really make a difference.

I do admit that us, Americans, have done away with a lot of the formality of the English language, but we can't help it.

We're annoying that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:15 pm
limp d**k

We're annoying that way.

I'll say!  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:40 pm
I never said you were British. We just said that British English is different from American English. And of course I've heard of New Zealand. I've been through Elementary school.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:59 pm
I've found myself typing colour on more than one occassion. Well, actually it was "armour," and on one occassion, "honour," but it's the same concept. We Americans seem to shaft the letter "U" for some reason.  

Luxx Aeternam

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 pm
[x]
I'm just going to speak up for the Canadians here and say that we also spell it "Colour". American English is pretty ********, in my opinion.

Don't worry Smoozle, I know you're not from England. You're Australian right? mrgreen

*Ducks and runs for cover.*

~
Pyrite
[x]

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items