Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Funner" is never going to be a word Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rutoh-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:35 am
How many people out there have heard people using "funner" as an actual word? How many other words have you run into that are not really words, but are just people being lazy? Have you ever had a teacher, particularly an English teacher, use a word that was not real?

My English teacher in nineth grade said that "funner" was a word. I was very dissapointed in my school systems. What do they teach aspiring teachers in college?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:44 am
Funner should be a word, according to the rules, but the one rule about English that always applies is that rules don't mean jack s**t.

::shrug::

The language center of my brain refuses to permit me to ever say funner without absolutely intending to (as above).  

The Man who was Thursday

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Yeah, the rules to English make it the most difficult language in the world to learn. Like that "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, like in neighbor or weigh." What about science, sufficient, agencies, financier, their, foreign, being, neither, neither, weird, vein, and seize? There are others... Anyway, I'd never use funner.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:58 pm
The best English teacher I ever had said that funner was a word that didn't sound like it should be one. I'll have to forgive him, though. He's the only teacher I ever had who played Magic: The Gathering.  

Luxx Aeternam

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:00 pm
Ah, Magic. I shouldn't get off topic, but I love that game...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:20 am
I must say that in real life I say many grammatically incorrect things. Funner just occasionally happens to be one of them. I also have the horrible (and possibly just American) habit of saying "like" after everything, as though we have to compare everything to something else. XP

Are you going to smite me? Are you possibly going to shove a stake through my heart? sweatdrop crying  

chrystalclear

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:12 am
"Funner" sounds like something they would say in 1984 (the book, not the year) along with "+good" and "++ungood". *shivers*

No, we don't want to stake you in the heart. I've used "like" in that way myself and am still trying to break the habit.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:10 am
My sixth grade math teacher used to say "funnerer". It annoyed me to no end.  

Aubrey Nicole

The_0ther_Account

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 am
I don't generally like to say the word, funner, but sometimes even I get lazy...sorry!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 pm
So, does anyone else have any others words that their teachers have used that are not really words?  

Rutoh-Chan

WatermelonLove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:55 pm
User Image

Not unintentionally.

I say funner when I like to joke around speaking n00b in real life, along with "bestest" and "goodest". Only as a joke, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:59 pm
I cannot imagine "funner" ever escaping my mouth. It just reminds me of something the characters in movies like "Legally Blonde" and "Clueless" would say. In fact, in "Legally Blonde" I believe Reese Witherspoon's character does say it.  

Cinnamon_Kitty

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:07 pm
Yes she does. On some preschooler shows, they say "funner" and "funnest"
It makes me want to cover my little 3-year-old brother's ears and change the channel.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:34 pm
I say it all the time on accident, even type it some times, but I can't help it XD

Rolling Box

Obsessive Garbage

33,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Expert Skill 150

+.Dreaming.of.a.Place.+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:49 pm
I always make up new words, it's fun and it makes explaining things alot easier. 3nodding
And I like the word funner, even if it's not one. (that didn't make sense)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff