Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
OMG! I didn't do nothin'! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

?
  !
View Results

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:55 am
Firstly, I'd like to apologise for my use of terrible grammar in the title. -Cries-
I just thought about putting this in, although I'm not 100% sure why.

I really can't stand it when people use double negatives, if that's the right phrase to describe it.
Example: I didn't do nothin'!

This is usually used when someone means to say: I didn't do that. But, the problem is, they are basically saying, it seems, that they did do something.

Say what you mean people!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:56 am
I said something about that around here before. It is very annoying when people use double negatives.  

Masamune no Hi

Roguemagus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:40 pm
You won't believe this, but in Spanish, the double negative is grammatically CORRECT. Seriously.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 am
Roguemagus
You won't believe this, but in Spanish, the double negative is grammatically CORRECT. Seriously.

Well, maybe not as far as gramatically correct, but gramatically accepted. you must undertand that negative statements in English are very different than those in Spanish. Here, let me give you an example:

English: I didn't do anything!
Spanish: Yo no hice nada!

First off, the main difference here is that "didn't" (which stands for Did Not) refers to the time the action was made AND it also defines wether it is a positive or negative action, and it is not the action itself.

In Spanish, the negative action is described by the word "no". the action itself is in reality the word "hice", which is a first person verb for the word "hacer", which means "do" in English, in a past tense.

Can anyone here tell me if I'm right or wrong? at least this is what I remember from my Spanish/English lessons in school, and I must admit, my language skills are not as developed as my father's, anyway.

Edit: I would like to have a set example, if possible, thanks.  

Azraelalpha

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:28 am
Roguemagus

Really? That's.. strange. But, hey, we should respect their language, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:46 am
A teacher of mine told my class that when we use double negatives, it's the same as using a positive. I don't think that's true though  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am
xXSavage NymphXx
A teacher of mine told my class that when we use double negatives, it's the same as using a positive. I don't think that's true though

Well, it's technically true, I suppose. But it's gramatically incorrect. And painful.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:38 am
Tiny Clanger
Firstly, I'd like to apologise for my use of terrible grammar in the title. -Cries-

I really can't stand it when people use double negatives, if that's the right phrase to describe it.

This is usually used when someone means to say: I didn't do that. But, the problem is, they are basically saying, it seems, that they did do something.

That is exactly how I think about that.
If they say "I didnt do nothin", its like "I did do something."
Its like the opposite.
I never say that.
I say, "I didn't do anything", and it sounds better anyways.  

xBSJGx

Liberal Gaian

xBSJGx

Liberal Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:40 am
Roguemagus

Like: "No, no me gusta.." for example.
Is that what you mean?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:44 pm
Double negatives bother me immensely. However, in class when the trouble makers say stuff like "I didn't do nothing, Sir!" I just laugh. I'm sorry, but talking like does a better job of making you seem guilty of something, rather than being innocent. -sigh-  

xAvenirYuinax

Ellis Bell Esq.

Thirteenth Partier

400 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:56 pm
rae-chan-sensei
xXSavage NymphXx

Well, it's technically true, I suppose. But it's gramatically incorrect. And painful.

Actually, I beg to differ, as long as the person using the double negative is 1) doing it on purpose and 2) doing it correctly.

E.g.
Mom: What did you do in school today?
Me: Well, I didn't do nothing, obviously.
Mom: That's new.

But for those "I DIDN'T DO NUTHIN!"s, I consider it a Freudian slip. cool  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 am
Tiny Clanger

Wouldn't you also add an at all to the sentance 'I didn't do nothin'!`so it would be I did not do nothing at all.  

John_Risi

John_Risi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:31 am
Ellis Bell Esq.
rae-chan-sensei
xXSavage NymphXx

Actually, I beg to differ, as long as the person using the double negative is 1) doing it on purpose and 2) doing it correctly.

E.g.

*laughs* If you talk like that no wonder they did not do anything in school. cool  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:22 am
Ellis Bell Esq.
rae-chan-sensei
xXSavage NymphXx

E.g.

As to the technically true... I meant the whole "two negatives equal a positive" thing from math class...

As to the grammatical truth, I was refering to the thread title types of situations as being incorrect and painful. The situation you used is obviously correct, but I don't think that those are what the thread was originally talking about.

So the double negative is correct for certain situations, and incorrect for certain situations. 3nodding  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:36 pm
I laugh too, actually. I do wish I could say something casually when people say this that makes them realise how stupid they are in grammatical terms.
Also, I love using endless negatives, so many infact that it confuses people. For example:

You are not not not not not not etc. [repeated an odd number of times] wonderful/beautiful/compliment etc.

Using a large, odd number of negatives confuses the person, and so they can't tell if you're complimenting them or insulting them. Heh heh heh. twisted

My evil back up trick.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces