Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar in Schools Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe in better spelling cources in schools?
  Yes, I believe improvement would be a good benefit.
  No, I think that no improvement is nessassary.
View Results

Ban_prevention

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 am
Most kids don't even perfect their spelling by college, and yet all schools are seriously pressuring what I believe to be a pretty mediocre spelling system.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:27 am
I think they should have correct grammar. It doesn't have to be perfect, though. I just like it when I can immediately understand a person when they talk. (I'm pretty slow O.o)  

Cheerfulhope

LarryTheLlama666

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 am
Indubitably.Some kids should really learn how to spell right.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:47 am
Yes we should. You misspelled "necessary" by the way.
I have a friend of mine whose spelling is so bad, I can't figure out what the heck he's saying when we write notes. I think that if the teachers note who is a horrid speller, the people who really need it will be in there.  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

Starting Once Again

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:49 pm

I agree. Spelling needs to be emphasized MUCH more heavily in schools. Bad spelling leads to using spell-check when you get to HS/College, which leads to the wrong words getting in. Heck, I've seen professionally published books which were obviously "spell-checked". Terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:12 pm
Obviously, the spelling programs in schools need to be improved. The proof is in the pudding. Look at all the idiocy we see online; direct evidence that schools aren't doing their jobs. If schools were as they should be, this guild wouldn't be needed.

i am very literate
You are? Well that's funny, because to me, it looks like you're missing something.
yeah what
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized. All you need to do is hold down the Shift key while typing the letter.

When you write the letter "I" in reference to yourself, it is always supposed to be uppercase (same as capitalized).

Oh, I didn't know that Am I literate now
Almost. There's just one more thing you need.
[red]Yeah what
Punctuation. When your sentence comes to an end, it needs either a period (.), exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) (for questions only). Otherwise, it's not complete.
Oh, I get it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I'm truly literate!
it's not a problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Capitalize those I's! Punctuate that sentence's posterior.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:43 pm
You spelled "courses" as "cources." It seems to me there is a bit of hypocricy in this guild. It's okay though. We all make mistakes. I didn't catch onto "to" and "too" until fifth grade.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm
I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy. It was a simple spelling mistake or typo on the poster's part. Thank you for catching it and kindly pointing it out so she will know better in the future.

i am very literate
You are? Well that's funny, because to me, it looks like you're missing something.
yeah what
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized. All you need to do is hold down the Shift key while typing the letter.

When you write the letter "I" in reference to yourself, it is always supposed to be uppercase (same as capitalized).

Oh, I didn't know that Am I literate now
Almost. There's just one more thing you need.
What else
Punctuation. When your sentence comes to an end, it needs either a period (.), exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) (for questions only). Otherwise, it's not complete.
Oh, I get it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I'm truly literate!
it's not a problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Capitalize those I's! Punctuate that sentence's posterior. Not capitalizing a sentence's first letter is the same as decapitating it.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm
Hypocrites? I think you mean wiseasses. But it's hard to know. Maybe harmless jokers or druggies. I can't even speak for myself. Who am I? Who?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:02 pm
I must say I'm not the best speller. And I'm not very literate. But, I try my best to do the best that I can. I make sure most of my sentences make enough sense. But, I must say my school does lack in the grammar department. Mostly because no one in my English class pays much attention. And they kid around way to much.  

-HelloHearts-

MasamuneFFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:06 pm
I have and had basic spelling and grammar courses in school, but I've developed a better vocabulary and typing skills from my own experiences.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 pm
I try to type everything correctly the first time I write it, and then I will re-read it two or three times to make sure it's correct. After posting it I will read it again and if I catch a mistake that somehow I didn't already catch (or find a better way to word a sentence, or an idea I forgot, etc.), I edit my post. On top of that, when other people make grammatical errors, I don't correct them or point it out (unless it's in real life), I simply find the meaning and ignore the error. If I point out other peoples' typos, they'll point out mine. I like more harmonic discussions.  

Malbeur

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm
I have heard that America's English classes are bad but I didn't think it was this bad. When I started Gaia I had no idea what any one was saying they all used chat speak and when people do that it sort of kills the converstaions!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:40 pm
Actually, it has gotten to the point where in my school, a 10th grade English class did horribly on a grammar test...IT WAS ON NOUNS, VERBS, AND ADJECTIVES!!! Then, when the teacher expressed her dissappointment, one person had the nerve to say, "Well, maybe if you had taught it better...,".

To which she replied the following: "Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives are a second grade standard. If you want, I can bring my 7 year old daughter in tomorrow to help you study for Friday's Quiz."

The room remained silent the rest of the period.  

Fenria

limp dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:49 pm
I suppose so. I've had to correct my teacher's grammar on occasion.

Perhaps, it's also the teacher's fault, in some instances.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff