Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Commas are NOT for pauses. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:21 pm
I see people saying that commas are for pauses ALL THE TIME 'round here, and nobody ever listens to me when I frantically try to correct them.

This is a grammar guild, so you should know something about grammar, yeah?

The prescriptive grammar you all cherish so much gives less than a s**t about how whatever you say "sounds". Hence, commas are NOT used when there is a "natural pause" in a sentence.

The are used to:
  • surround appositives. This is perhaps the reason why people think that they are used for "natural pauses"--generally, you pause before and after an appositive.
  • separate clauses in
    • compound sentences always.
    • complex sentences if the subordinate clause is first.

• introduce a sentence with an adverb or adverbial phrase, an interjection, or a vocative.
  • separate elements of a list.
  • introduce a quotiation: "She said, 'I should kill Dan.'"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:23 pm
From MyWord.info:

A word or phrase that clarifies the previous word or phrase and expands meaning. Created to make a statement more clear. Can be set off with commas, dashes or parentheses.

So, some examples of an appositive would be: My dog, a German shepherd, could potentially be a police dog.

"My computer, which was around during the Mesozoic Era, needs more RAM."

In essence, the comma is there not necessarily to pause, but to connect.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:40 pm
That's.. pretty much what I was saying.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 pm
I haven't really commented on what the uses for a comma are.
However, I know all that.
Who would use a comma just because of a natural pause? That makes completely no sense.

Can't they also be used for nonessential clauses that come in the middle of other clauses?
Other than that, I can't really think of any other uses for a comma.

limp dick

Raimyah

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

9,975 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:27 pm
Commas... are totally not for pauses.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:18 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
From MyWord.info:

A word or phrase that clarifies the previous word or phrase and expands meaning. Created to make a statement more clear. Can be set off with commas, dashes or parentheses.

So, some examples of an appositive would be: My dog, a German shepherd, could potentially be a police dog.

"My computer, which was around during the Mesozoic Era, needs more RAM."

In essence, the comma is there not necessarily to pause, but to connect.

Aha, I wrote a story for grade 10 english assignment, and in it I used dashes to expand on a meaning, like said in your first line, and she said it was wrong. Either that or I shouldn't have used them. I can't remember the exact comment. >.>  

[~~Bakky~~]

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:29 pm
Commas aren't for pauses, but you pause when there is a comma (if reading aloud). I completely agree with all of your other sentiments, however, because of the horrendous misuse of the comma (especially in leetspeak and txt-tlk).

"Commas rule the world!"
-Mr. Burden  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Commas are overused.  

Triste

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:48 pm
I don't really understand what any of you are saying. Could someone explain it too me?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:35 pm
When I'm reading a sentence with commas, I usually put a pause there. Nothing major, but a slight stop in the rhythm of the sentence. The same goes for my writing. However, when I want to make a more noticeable pause or break, I use a semicolon; like just now.

To be quite frank, I can see the overuse of commas as a big deal, but overall I think that it pretty much flows for me; which is saying something, as much as I like proper typing. In other words, I don't share the same dislike of comma use as the rest.  

cantchangemynameahhdf

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 pm
The reader, not the comma, inserts pauses. Grammar apparently "doesn't give a s**t." But how something sounds is what language is all about. We're very keen on how "s**t" sounds when we read it, either in our minds or aloud. We're sensitive to this "s**t."

Artemis.Dreamseeker
When I'm reading a sentence with commas, I usually put a pause there. Nothing major, but a slight stop in the rhythm of the sentence. The same goes for my writing. However, when I want to make a more noticeable pause or break, I use a semicolon; like just now.

To be quite frank, I can see the overuse of commas as a big deal, but overall I think that it pretty much flows for me; which is saying something, as much as I like proper typing. In other words, I don't share the same dislike of comma use as the rest.

Not to purposefully bash your writing style, but you over-use commas. I like short sentences. You can still write effectively and with detail. You don't need that many commas or semicolons. Just try it. I read On Writing Well by William Zinser and I think it helped.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 pm
Artemis.Dreamseeker

You are doing exactly what I said was wrong. Especially the semicolon bit.

If you pause naturally in speech, it does NOT indicate that you should use a comma. Yes, you usually pause when you read a comma, but that does not mean pause = comma.

Commas are PURELY syntax.  

The Man who was Thursday

limp dick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:24 am
Syntax?

The only definition I learned for syntax was the job of a designated word. (e.g. predicate nominitive for a noun that is a complement that restates the subject or direct object for a noun that is recieving the action)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 am
limp d**k
Syntax?

The only definition I learned for syntax was the job of a designated word. (e.g. predicate nominitive for a noun that is a complement that restates the subject or direct object for a noun that is recieving the action)

Uh.. nope.

Quote:
a. the study of the rules for the formation of grammatical sentences in a language.
b. the study of the patterns of formation of sentences and phrases from words.
c. the rules or patterns so studied: English syntax.
d. a presentation of these: a syntax of English.
e. an instance of these: the syntax of a sentence.

The Man who was Thursday

Chaotic Nitemare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:33 pm
Triste
Commas are overused.

Yes, they are, really, overused.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers