Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goth is...
  as Goth does.
View Results

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:48 am
Attempts to define 'goth' have been flying thick and fast lately, and I'd like to remind people that there is no one right answer. There is no one definition of the word goth. It's been used many times, to mean many different things.

The goths were a northern tribe that invaded Rome (and also Spain).

'Gothic' was a term applied to late medieval architecture by bigoted and very ill-informed 'Enlightenment'-era historians, who thought these buildings were created far earlier than they actually were, and also poked fun at them for being 'barbarous.'

The first use of the word to define a subculture was in the late 1700's, when antiquarians started actually appreciating medieval arichitecture. Back then, a 'goth' was someone who enjoyed dark, romantic literature, had a fondness for ruins, and maybe built their house in gothic style.

Toward the Victorian era, architects got more interested in medieval-styled art that looked authentic, not fantastical. A 'goth' became someone with a scholarly interest in the era.

Many sources (Wikipedia included) claim that the modern goth subculture has its roots in punk. Personally, I think those roots go back far earlier than modern music genres. Earlier gothic movements had a huge influence on things like the modern horror genre, the ideas expressed in a lot of goth music, and even the wearing of black. Without those early gothic novels, the subculture as we know it would not exist.

So yes, it's valid to say that a goth is a person who loves goth music. But it's equally valid to apply the term to someone with a generally 'dark' aesthetic, or someone who adores medieval art.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:44 am
Veruniel
Attempts to define 'goth' have been flying thick and fast lately, and I'd like to remind people that there is no one right answer. There is no one definition of the word goth. It's been used many times, to mean many different things.

'Gothic' was a term applied to late medieval architecture by bigoted and very ill-informed 'Enlightenment'-era historians, who thought these buildings were created far earlier than they actually were, and also poked fun at them for being 'barbarous.'

The first use of the word to define a subculture was in the late 1700's, when antiquarians started actually appreciating medieval arichitecture. Back then, a 'goth' was someone who enjoyed dark, romantic literature, had a fondness for ruins, and maybe built their house in gothic style.

Toward the Victorian era, architects got more interested in medieval-styled art that looked authentic, not fantastical. A 'goth' became someone with a scholarly interest in the era.

Many sources (Wikipedia included) claim that the modern goth subculture has its roots in punk. Personally, I think those roots go back far earlier than modern music genres. Earlier gothic movements had a huge influence on things like the modern horror genre, the ideas expressed in a lot of goth music, and even the wearing of black. Without those early gothic novels, the subculture as we know it would not exist.

So yes, it's valid to say that a goth is a person who loves goth music. But it's equally valid to apply the term to someone with a generally 'dark' aesthetic, or someone who adores medieval art.

Wow I am shocked eek I knew there were many different meanings to goth, but I did not know that it went that far back. You are someone who did there home work on the topic that interests them; not many people do that thank you for that exclaim From what you have found and posted regarding the word goth has increased my knowledge about it, and thank you for that.

Devils_lilboy

Kristoya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:31 am
Veruniel

Wow. That's cool. I knew about the tribe that sacked Rome and the architecture, but I didn't know that back then goth was used to describe people who were interested in the architecture or art. Neat.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:06 pm
Wow well explained my man.... Thanx for the clearing! [nodds]  

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Faren_of_FaelThas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:22 pm
tell me about it. though my personal disgust is aimed at the people just trying to stand up and say: "hey world i'm a Goth!". i doubt anyone really cares. if you are then it is something that you yourself know and accept, not something you should tout around to get attention. *rolls eyes*

how does this factor into the whole "trying to define Goth" thing? well the ones who are typically saying "hey world i'm a Goth!" then add on to that by saying "i'm Goth because of this, this, and that. and that's what Goth is."

if you're Goth then be proud of it. there isn't any need to advertise it if you know who you are. if you just realized that you are Goth then celebrate it. but never, ever, ever use it as a crutch to make yourself a victim to society at large.

the reason why i mention this is because i've seen A LOT of whining around here lately. no one really understands that because you're different and don't fit neatly into somebody's nice little world you're going to be ostracized because of it. so what? goes with the territory. if you don't have a whole lot of people backing you up in something then you have no power and thusly are the weaker. people being people they'll pick on the easy targets they know won't lash out at them (or if the easy targets do try to extract retribution they know it won't harm the popular ones much) just to prove how superior they are to others.

*sigh* sorry folks i just got tired with all the whining and needed to get that off of my chest. *takes a deep breath*

okay Faren ish better now mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 pm
Wow. That's really good. I'm glad that someone posted this. It's interesting ^^

.+Melanthios+.

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:49 pm
Actually you should give more detail on the post-punk Gothic Rock scene. In my opinion, it almost single handedly shaped what Goth is today, in regards to cultural attitude, fashion, art, etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:52 pm
...that is one of the best descriptions I have seen in a while......  

OverlordMMM

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:51 pm
In reference to the poll-

When one does as Err does enough times, one becomes as Err is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:31 am
Quote:

I've never thought of myself as a goth but that passage does descibe me.
Wow, I'm going to have fun going up to my dad and telling him I'm goth.
The look on his face is going to be priceless, then I'll explain it to him and he'll calm down. I've done it before when I informed him the pentagram isn't evil and told him the Wicca version of it. He just looked at me and was like "How do you know this?". I got scared to tell him I had been looking up info on Wicca (just out of curiosity) and was like "Umm...Charmed?". Though he did find it surprising it was also once a Christian symbol used to represent the five wounds of Jesus.

The history of the pentagram intrigues me ( ^_^ )

kykana

Invisible Informer

8,925 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:42 am
History of a lot of things intrigue me. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:53 pm
Devils_lilboy

Wow I am shocked eek I knew there were many different meanings to goth, but I did not know that it went that far back. You are someone who did there home work on the topic that interests them; not many people do that thank you for that exclaim

Thanks! I must confess, though, I didn't go out and read about it just because I was interested in the subculture. I was studying gothic revival architecture and I learned a lot of it in class.

Art history classes are love!  

Veruniel
Crew

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 pm
kykana
Quote:

I've never thought of myself as a goth but that passage does descibe me.
Wow, I'm going to have fun going up to my dad and telling him I'm goth.
The look on his face is going to be priceless, then I'll explain it to him and he'll calm down. I've done it before when I informed him the pentagram isn't evil and told him the Wicca version of it. He just looked at me and was like "How do you know this?". I got scared to tell him I had been looking up info on Wicca (just out of curiosity) and was like "Umm...Charmed?". Though he did find it surprising it was also once a Christian symbol used to represent the five wounds of Jesus.

The history of the pentagram intrigues me ( ^_^ )

I tried telling that to my father, but he didn't believe me and asked me if I was a satanist gonk so yeah......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:39 pm
Oh my gosh. I read that in the dictionary.

I was trying to prove a point when My friend kept saying that in the dictionary the word goth ment person who worhipped satan.

She even said "you can even look in the dictionairy" So i did.  

DJ Database

0-X-Yours_Truly-X-0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:41 pm
thats really interesting. i knew that there was something about an ancient race from germany, but its really interesting that goth has that many roots.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff