Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Song Titles... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should artists use proper spelling for song titles?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

raucous rae

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:54 am
I don't understand why artists feel the need to use "txt tlk" in song titles. :/

I'll be a fan of the song, but then find out the title and truthfully not want to listen to it as much, no matter how much I like it. ._.;

For example - Pink's 'new' song, "U+UR Hand"

Or Gwen Stefani's song "U Started It"

I'm tempted to change the titles to the proper spelling on iTunes.

The problem is, I have both a pet peeve for having the correct name and a pet peeve for proper spelling, capitalization, etc.

It seems that it happens more with "mainstream" artists, or the people on the "hit list" rather than bands such as My Chemical Romance (whom are quite literate and take spelling into consideration) and The Used.

I don't really mind when bands use slang, such as Hinder's song "Shoulda." That's understandable, it's being written as it's said.

Other than that, it's sheer laziness. x_x;

I'm just baffled. ;;

[Edit] : Oh my. I thought this was going in the "txt tlk" section.

My apologies. D;

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 am
I agree, they should spell out their song titles. The one that sticks in my head is the Pussycat Dolls, ( or whatever they named themselves. Sounds vulgar to me.) "Stickwitu" or something like that. It's just rediculous.  

Sighren

Frankendoll.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:56 am
Yeah... It's annoying when anyone uses it, but when it's used for song titles it just blows it out of the water. Having text talk used in such a public way will surely make more people use the irritating and moronic form of English. >_< Annoying as!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:13 pm
I think that artist's should use proper spelling and such for their song titles. The one that is bothering me the most at the moment is '2U'...  

xAvenirYuinax

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 pm
That you judge a song by its title is truly pathetic.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:54 pm
Actually, they tend to pique my curiosity. -shrugs- It's not my fault that I don't like most of the pop music these days, though.  

xAvenirYuinax

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:00 pm
I agree with 'Ezra Pound', but...

I approve of improper grammar or spelling in song titles only when it is used in a way to better portray their true intent and feelings. One of my old English teachers referred to it as 'poetic license'.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:09 pm
Of course it annoys me! D:
However, just as a writer expresses him/herself in writing, a songwriter does the same as well. I have learned to respect that after so many grammar mistakes in the media around me.. wink

The One and Only Guardian

Cintax Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:14 pm
It's quite simple. If they don't have the time or energy to type it out in a title, then it's not worth it. Doesn't apply to me, I don't like any pop. surprised So I don't have to deal with it. REAL music uses REAL words. talk2hand

/End story

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:16 pm
Cintax Error
It's quite simple. If they don't have the time or energy to type it out in a title, then it's not worth it. Doesn't apply to me, I don't like any pop. surprised So I don't have to deal with it. REAL music uses REAL words. talk2hand

/End story

please do not make me cite numerous counterexamples.  

The Man who was Thursday

Cintax Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 pm
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error

/End story

Actually, I'd like to see an example. Please show me? =o  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error

/End story

"I Got It Bad (And It Ain't Good)" - horrible grammar, and the general consensus here is that "ain't" ain't a word.

That song is by the great Duke Ellington.

"Biaxident".

A song by Liquid Tension Experiment.

"Ummagumma". Album by Pink Floyd.

"Mysterons" by Portishead.  

The Man who was Thursday

Cintax Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error

/End story

"I Got It Bad (And It Ain't Good)" - horrible grammar, and the general consensus here is that "ain't" ain't a word.

"Biaxident".

Seems we simply have different tastes in music. I'd love to say a bit more, but it may be taken as an insult. I don't want to cause any issues. =P  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error

/End story

"Biaxident".

Seems we simply have different tastes in music. I'd love to say a bit more, but it may be taken as an insult. I don't want to cause any issues. =P

None of those are pop.  

The Man who was Thursday

Cintax Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 pm
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error
Ezra Pound
Cintax Error

/End story

"Biaxident".

None of those are pop.
True, but I'm quite picky with music. It's simply that none of those appeal to me. Listening to a song where one word or more is incorrectly spelled in the title will bother me. I'm highly opposed to anyone who uses an abbreviation, while I simply dislike a random word. It's a mere difference in degree.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff