Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A Clockwork Orange. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

"A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess
  Loved it.
  Hated it.
  Never read it.
  Never read it, but I saw the movie.
View Results

Z Devotchka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:38 pm
Personally, I liked the story, but in my opinion, I feel that there were too many made-up words. One of the main reasons I like reading is because I enjoy learning new words that I can worm in to an everyday conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you think saying "That movie was real horrorshow" would be a tad bit confusing?
I enjoyed this book, and it gave me a great insight as to what violent children feel, however the horrendous slang used throughout the book sort of distracted me from the whole topic in question.

I give it a 9.

The reason for this post?
I want opinions from anyone who's read it.

<3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:42 pm
EDIT:

Upon further research, I have discovered that Alex's horrendous grammar is actually a made-up language called Nadsat based upon Russian dialect.
But it's still confusing.

Z Devotchka

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm
I was about to say something about it. If you want to know more about anything such as fake words or something, just go to wikipedia.com. It has everything.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm
I had no idea that the movie was based off of a book...  

Subservient Nonentity

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm
I actually enjoy that more.

Bending language to one's will is far more difficult than bending to language's.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:18 pm
*Thinks of Dr. Suess* 3nodding  

The One and Only Guardian

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm

I think of Joyce, but that's just me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 pm
Ezra Pound

Who is this 'Joyce' you speak of? Someone I should know about? Are you cheating on me, mister?! rofl wink  

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:34 pm
Ezra Pound

Who is this 'Joyce' you speak of? Someone I should know about? Are you cheating on me, mister?! rofl wink

James Joyce. Author of, e.g., Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses, and (my favourite) Finnegans Wake.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:36 pm
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound

James Joyce. Author of, e.g., Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Ulysses, and (my favourite) Finnegans Wake.

Oh my! Ulysses/Odyssey? I know there are different versions, but is it the same idea? O: You never answered my question. stare  

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:37 pm
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound

Oh my! Ulysses/Odyssey? I know there are different versions, but is it the same idea? O: You never answered my question. stare

Ulysses is the Latin name of Odysseus, yes.

He modeled the book Ulysses after the Odyssey, to some degree.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:43 pm
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound

My teacher is extremely excited that we're all reading "The Odyssey" for class. She gives us handouts, so I cannot go ahead. The version that my teacher passes out, is, according to her, the best one their is. xD The main character's name is Ulysses in the book we're reading, but in the movie we are going to watch, his name is Odysseus. :3 heart
We're only at the Keeper of the Winds part, so I can't wait until we read to the spider part!! blaugh *feels over-excited* xD

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:46 pm
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound

My teacher is extremely excited that we're all reading "The Odyssey" for class. She gives us handouts, so I cannot go ahead. The version that my teacher passes out, is, according to her, the best one their is. xD The main character's name is Ulysses in the book we're reading, but in the movie we are going to watch, his name is Odysseus. :3 heart
We're only at the Keeper of the Winds part, so I can't wait until we read to the spider part!! blaugh *feels over-excited* xD

Homer wrote The Odyssey. It's not the same as Ulysses.

Ulysses just borrows structural elements from it.

A favourite quote of mine:
"The only thing I ask of my readers is that they devote their entire life to understanding my works." - James Joyce.

Might not be verbatim, but that's the idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound
Ezra Pound

Homer wrote The Odyssey. It's not the same as Ulysses.

Ulysses just borrows structural elements from it.

A favourite quote of mine:
"The only thing I ask of my readers is that they devote their entire life to understanding my works." - James Joyce.

Might not be verbatim, but that's the idea.

Oh, I see. 3nodding
Haha, my favourite quote is:
"I never let my learning interfere with my education." -Albert Einstein.
It never ceases to make me giggle. smile

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:04 pm
Also, for those that don't understand the title of A Clockwork Orange, it isn't really an orange. Orange is actually a pun on Orang, Malay for 'person.'  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff