Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Abomination to Vocabulary: Got Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doesn't that just make you want to...
  find the shovel ?
  cause physical harm to someone ?
  glare someone to death ?
  poll ?!
View Results

FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:06 pm
There are a number of words in the English language that disgust me. Words like "ain't," "y'all," "yet," and a huge number of others -especially those made common by pop culture- are included. Regardless of how much these stain the American (and English) lexicon, the worst, by far, is "got."

Examples: "I've got to go."
"Have you gotten your e-mail set up?"

"Have Got" is the worst of these. If you "got" something, don't you have it ? The use of these two words, together, is not only redundant but makes the impression of a vast cavern located between the ears of the speaker.
Regardless of this, unfortunately, it is one of the most commonly mis-used words in the English language.

I know most of you have your own literary pet-peeves. This one is mine.

-PFC Smith (FWIW), U.S. Army  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:45 pm
I've never really thought about it that much but you are right. It's not a very pretty word.

But yet? I'd like an elaboration on that, if you don't mind :]

ljosberinn

[Painted]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:56 pm
If everyone uses it like that, then is it really a mis-use anymore?
Languages are always changing! *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:31 pm
[Painted]
If everyone uses it like that, then is it really a mis-use anymore?
Languages are always changing! *shrugs*

Bingo.

Also, redundancy is oft used for emphasis.

e.g. I myself don't care for this.  

The Man who was Thursday

FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:56 pm
ljosberinn
I've never really thought about it that much but you are right. It's not a very pretty word.

But yet? I'd like an elaboration on that, if you don't mind :]

The word "yet" bothers me because of some of its uses in the mid-west. I was raised in Central New York where there really is no accent aside from "an American one" and the dialect is by the book. When I moved to Michigan the most common use for that word was this:

"I have to do my homework, yet."
or
"I need to do the laundry, yet."

It may not bother you, but it sure as hell makes me cringe.

I currently live in a place where I need someone to translate half of the time and the other half I just walk away. My COs (Commanding Officers) speak English and that's about it.

-PFC Smith (FWIW), U.S. Army  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:59 pm
It's just a simple reƤrrangement of "I have yet to do my homework."

Yet's an adverb; it can go just about anywhere.  

The Man who was Thursday

The Traveling Pikmin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:10 pm
I use ain't, yet, and got all the time. It's like saying it in real life. They aren't, or should I say ain't, really important to describing something or someone in a story.
I say stuff in life on the internet. It's no fun being a robot.
"I have gotta go." "Whatcha doin'?" etc. etc. It adds more...personality.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:21 pm
With the word "yet," my annoyance has little to do with whether or not it is proper. It just bothers me. Try saying it out loud to yourself. Doesn't it feel unnatural ?  

FWIW

The Traveling Pikmin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:29 pm
FWIW
With the word "yet," my annoyance has little to do with whether or not it is proper. It just bothers me. Try saying it out loud to yourself. Doesn't it feel unnatural ?
Not really. Though, I really don't mind grammar or spelling problems. I have a friends who has a problem where words and numbers are jumble up. I would say the name but I would horridly spell it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm
FWIW

No, but then again, I'm from the Midwest -- which, by the by, is the considered the correct American accent.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ryadcakez McShe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:13 pm
You make a very good point there. o _o;

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:19 am
Wow. I say, " I gotta go" all the time.  

Sighren

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:28 am
alright I have one for you.

"Like"

I live in Callie and I swear to god that I can't go ten steps without hearing that word 20 times.
"Like, lets go to the mall"
"I know it's like...."
"Like, totaly!"

I know some of you would call that sterotyping but I hate to tell you.... this is true.

In my drama club there is a word of the day, every time it is used we scream and shout like it's new years. One day the word of the day was "like". I swear we couldn't make it through one motion without haveing half a dosen new years.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 pm
FWIW

Plenty of perfectly grammatically sound sentences can sound unnatural, such as:

Quote:
She and he are always fighting.

I do agree that the "yet" sentences you used as examples feel unnatural, yet they may be, in fact, grammatically correct.

My own personal pet peeve word is "yeah." Every time I respond to a question in the affirmative, I try to say "yes" but "yeah" is the word that usually comes out.  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

limp dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:58 pm
"Have" is a mere helping verb.

Example: I have done this before.

It's just used with the verb "got" in your case.

I don't see the problem.
Then again, I was taught by a very old-fashioned teacher, and I am possibly wrong.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff