Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Slang - Will It Take Over?! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you want slang to be "Regular English Grammar"?
  Yes! Go Slang!
  Boo! We want regular grammar!
  I can deal with both
View Results

wolfsrainlvr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:45 pm
In my class, there are many girls and boys who say "That pencil is mine's!" and/or "You is so stupid!"
Will everyone start speaking slang?! Will it take over all the schools?! Reply with your thoughts only!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:03 pm
Seriously now, what has our world come to?

Not only does that sound wrong, it is wrong.

And dear lord, I hope slang won't take over. That would be terrifying. I seriously doubt that it will, I mean, what is English class for anyways?

(Though, being in GT, my class doesn't do anything but colour on blocks of wood to 'express' ourself.)  

Holy Smuckwaffen

FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:20 pm
I remember before I graduated, I moved from New York to South Carolina. When I started school I was asked questions like "How old you is?" and I had to have them repeat the questions until someone came to translate for me. I remember one freshman who, every time a teacher would call her name, would yell out "I didn't did nuttin!" which, as you could probably guess, was enough to make me want to hurt someone and the teachers didn't even acknowledge it as incorrect.

I believe it will probably take over very soon in many parts of the country (It has already taken the South-East US), but not everywhere.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:36 pm
There will always be dignified people who prefer proper english. I don't think it will take over.  

americananimefan

ririnyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm
The (sad?) thing is, though, this is how language evolves. This is why we're not talking the same style of English as Shakespeare or, even further back, Chaucer. Slang is irritating, yes, but it's part of the progression of the language.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:59 pm
Exactly, ririnyan. Except, I don't really consider it sad or irritating.  

The Man who was Thursday

MuchAdo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 am
I think if slang does take over I would blame it on teachers. I would blame it on teachers because many teachers use slang and they don't correct children.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 am
Slang is horrible. I hate it. Sometimes I use it jokingly, but never seriously. :: shudders ::  

Chase Keyhole

Sweet Blushes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:35 am
Slang truly is a destructive force. Not only is a disgrace to society, but it a bad reputation to everybody. Not everyone enjoys to use such language, and truthfully, "slang" is something I find very idotic.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:37 am
I think there is a difference between slang and bad grammar. Slang is: yo, wassup, sup, etc.
Bad grammar is: You is stupid, Give its Back.

Boo to bad grammar.
Slang I can handle.  

saotomi5102

Starting Once Again

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:49 am

Every time I see stuff like that, I am increasingly encouraged to write my own language.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:43 am
To me bad grammar and slang are corroding the very fiber of language. It is true that every language evolves but this time words are turning for the worst.  

ramforce

diabloking378

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:45 pm
scream I think that most of the people in America use slang. Me personally I don't use it, but many people in my classes use it and it drives me nuts.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:07 pm
Slang in its self, isn't all that bad. It is when people begin to incorporate bad grammar with it and call it slang it's stupid and immature and yet people of all ages do it.

I had a band teacher who once said, "That's hot" to the class.  

~TangibleChaos~

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:22 pm
~TangibleChaos~
Slang in its self, isn't all that bad. It is when people begin to incorporate bad grammar with it and call it slang it's stupid and immature and yet people of all ages do it.

I had a band teacher who once said, "That's hot" to the class.

... So?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces