Gold?
Nahhhhhhhhhh
100%
 100%  [ 85 ]
Total Votes : 85

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Beware the Jabberwock my son!
The Jaws that bite, the claws that snatch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!

What's a fashion goth? 8.
Show pictures please. Also, a "hippie" goth and a "vampire goth" and industrial goth. O.o

The wolf waits below, hungry and lonely
And Cries to the moon
If only, if only

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:37 am
Industrial goth everyone here should know - Trent Reznor.

The other two, I'm just as confused as you mate.  

Rellik San
Crew

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 am
Gur, I can't be botherd getting pictures.

Dx

Well, fashion goths, as how I percieve them, are either one of two of these:

1. Are interested in the stereotypical dress of goths. i.e. Take in interest in dressing in a trench coat + new rocks, or have cyber goth hair and fluroscent thingies, yet are not actually interested in the actual goth subculture in which the fashion had actually started from.
2. Are gothic in nature, but enjoy fashion.

I dunno, I think I'll go for 1., but hey, that's just the way I see it.

I could be completely wrong or have gaps missing from my knowledge.

o_O

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:07 pm
Fashion goth could likely be a "skin goth" as NikiPaprika mentioned (someone who only dresses the part; would only raise an eyebrow in confusion if you said "Bela Lugosi's Dead"), or you could probably mean a romanti-goth - someone who dresses in elaborate victorian fashions (there are other definitions for romanti-goth, but since you are only refering to fashion, I won't mention the rest)

Hippie goth is most likely someone who has interest in animal rights and visits places such as churches or cemeteries to feel either spiritual connection or relaxation *raises his hand for everything after "and"*

Vampire goth is almost too easy to describe: someone who has an interest (or perhaps obsession) with vampires, enjoys novels by Anne Rice and Bram Stoker, has an interest in wearing plastic fangs, and uses bloodletting/drinking with others for sexual excitement. They also tend to dress in romanti-goth fashions.

Industrial goth, as evidenced by the former word, listens to a lot of industrial rock/metal in addition to goth rock. This means bands like NIN and (in some cases) Alien Sex Fiend.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Nami678

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:23 pm
What type am I?

-I dress in the style
-I listen to metal and nu-metal and a little bit of gothic-rock
-Interested in the subculture
-Interested in dark things
-Has large interest in sexual things.

Answer.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:33 pm
Child of Gravemind
What type am I?

-I dress in the style

Answer.

Baby bat, most likely. (One new to the subculture; that's not an insult, though... I'm still sort of coming out of that phase, myself)  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:50 pm
Dead Ed
Child of Gravemind
What type am I?

-I dress in the style

Answer.

Baby bat, most likely. (One new to the subculture; that's not an insult, though... I'm still sort of coming out of that phase, myself)

I was a babybat!.....but then I kinda springed out and smacked into the metal wall.....kinda got embedded all the way into the (symphonic) black and death metal layers eek  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:54 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Dead Ed
Child of Gravemind
What type am I?

-I dress in the style

Answer.

I was a babybat!.....but then I kinda springed out and smacked into the metal wall.....kinda got embedded all the way into the (symphonic) black and death metal layers eek

Lol, so you kinda lost interest in goth rock, huh. smile
Ah well, to each his/her own.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm
CrimsonThanatos

What's a fashion goth? 8.
Show pictures please. Also, a "hippie" goth and a "vampire goth" and industrial goth. O.o

Hippie goth: think hippy only attracted to eyeliner and black gypsy tops and black motif match-work trousers/pants

Vampire goth: likes capes, wears fake fangs, believes can fly and turn into bat at at will (ok, j/k, likes vampire imagery, ramanticism of vampirism, may partake in blood drinking/blood play/ blood sports/ whatever the hell you wanna call it when you cut someone open and drink the red liquid filling)

Industrial goth: likes dreads, strobe lighting, music that goes beep a lot, attracted to flourescent lighting  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm
Dead Ed

Industrial goth, as evidenced by the former word, listens to a lot of industrial rock/metal in addition to goth rock. This means bands like NIN and (in some cases) Alien Sex Fiend.

Or Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire, SOME Einsturzende Neubauten, and Ministry.

I've got a thing for industrial.

-Isel-

Mz.Wiggles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:59 pm
Child of Gravemind
What type am I?

-I dress in the style

Answer.
A child who likes to play dress up with moms funeral dresses.
I'm sorry but I had respect for you before I read the last part.
The fact that you're way younger than me and interested in "sexual things" disturbs me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:05 pm
Mz.Wiggles
Child of Gravemind
What type am I?

-I dress in the style

Answer.
A child who likes to play dress up with moms funeral dresses.
I'm sorry but I had respect for you before I read the last part.
The fact that you're way younger than me and interested in "sexual things" disturbs me.

Human nature to have 'interest' in sex. Sex creates babies, furthers human race.

Onset of puberty makes Hormones pesky little things. Nothing abnormal whatsoever in that, call it your bodies way of saying "I'm ready to have kids! come'on gimmie one!"

As for what you 'are' Child of Gravemind, I'd say finding your way, give it a couple years once you've settled, and realised that it really don't matter what you are, just that you're comfortable with it ^^  

Isobel Bellamy

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:00 pm
sweatdrop

Posted this a while ago.

GilAskan
Ignoring the definition of someone who is just a "plain" goth, here are some major sub-divisions of the culture:

Cyber-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and futurist (also known as "cyber"; see below) subculture. Cybergoths dress in futuristically inspired outfits (as opposed to the typically victorian influence outfits) and typically listen to darkwave (a combination of goth-rock and electronica), such as the Cruxshadows.

RomantiGoth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and New Romantic subcultures, or draws influence from either movement. Romantigoths dress in turn-of-the-century style wear, drawing strong influence from Victorian, Edwardian, Baroque, and even Renaissance fashion. Romantigoths are sometimes mockingly called "mopey goths". Romantigoths listen to music with such influences, such as Voltaire.

Industrial-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and industrial subcultures. Industrial goths take on more abrasive fashion, drawing influence from rivet-head (industrial fans) fashion, as well as militaristic influence. Industrial-goths regularly listen to darkwave (see above) and EBM (a blend of industrial and techno), such as Nitzer Ebb.

Punk-Goth/Classic Goth
Goths devoted to the early scene (which grew out of punk, obviously). These goths tend to be older, and wear fashions of the time (tight black jeans, leather jackets, black aviators, Robert-Smith-hair, etc.). They likewise listen to early goth bands and proto-goth bands, like Adam Ant or Gloria Mundi.

Deathrock-Scene
Deathrock (not to be confused with death-metal) was a dark, ominous form of punk which grew alongside goth in the early 80's. Mostly develeoped in America by a handful of bands (most noteably Christian Death). The death-rock scene has wild, violent fashion, drawing influence from glam and punk, as well as from old horror movies. The scene was eventually absorbed into the goth culture.

Psychobilly
The odd blend of goth and rockabilly subcultures. Pioneered by such bands as the Meteors and the Cramps, the style of music has a small following, which has essentially been absorbed entirely into the goth-culture. Very similar to the death-rock scene, fashion wise.

New/Neo Romantics
The New Romantic movement was a fashion and philosohy movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Equipped with effeminate, glam-inspired fashion, the New Romantics (as the original romantics did) primarily believed that science and logic only made life worse, and that faith, love, and artistic expression would make for a better life.

Futurists
The Futurist movement was a musical and philosophical movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Musically, the futurists embraced progressed, experimental synthesized music. Philosophically (in opposition to the new romantics), Futurists believed in forward-thinking and innovation, and that these things would allow for new artistic and eccumenic expression.

Neo-Goth
"Neo-goths" as a whole aren't goths, but instead, are a new wave of club-goers who wear goth-influenced fashion. Neo-goth fashion is typical club fashion, though, with a darker twist. Neo-goths listen primarily to darkwave music, leaning more towards that which is more electronic in nature, such as VNV Nation.

GRaver
GRaver is a simple portmanteau of "goth raver". GRavers are much like neo-goths, and are, rather simply, ravers who draw inspiration from the goth culture.

EGA/EGL
This pair of acroymns stands for "Elegant Gothic Aristocrat" and "Elegant Gothic Lolita" respectively. Not so much an actual culture as it is a Japanese varient of goth fashion, followers of EGA and EGL will listen to darkwave as well as symphonic metal; the group Malice Mizer (who popularized the fashion) is particularly popular. The fashion revolves around a style which makes it's wearers look similar to Victorian porcelain dolls.

As for the others you've mentioned, they aren't really subcultures of goth (which is a full fledged culture in itself), but are general styles which have some limited following.

"Vampire goth" is a term many people use for romantigoths or goths who follow certain Victorian fashions. The term is also used as slang amongst goths for delusional teenaged mallgoths who literally believe that they ARE vampires.

Goth-rock in itself is a fairly experimental and progressive genre, and "Hippie Goths" tend to be hippies and fans of psychedelic music who have gotten into goth for the progressive elements of the music. "Hippie goths" can also be goths (fans of goth-rock, that is) which believe in the hippie lifestyle and values (particularly, communes).

Industrial goth - See above. Not always to be confused with rivetheads.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 pm

Beware the Jabberwock my son!
The Jaws that bite, the claws that snatch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!

sweatdrop Oh, I'm sorry I'd never noticed that.

Anyway, I think I'm a mix between those. smile I like the Romanti-Goth, Hippie Goth, Industrial Goth, and Punk Rock. smile

The wolf waits below, hungry and lonely
And Cries to the moon
If only, if only

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:16 pm
I just so happen to have a picture of what a Hippie Goth looks like.

User Image  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces