Cherry
  Blue Berry
  S'mores
  Goth-tart flavored!
View Results

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:41 am
Am I a goth?

The answer is... prolly' not. I'm not a goth, I just play one on TV.
Of course other people will tell you I'm a goth.
You may even go as far to say that I'm a poser-goth. Or as I like have fondly called... a goth-tart. (I got this word from the special eddition halloween poptarts, with the bat shaped sprinkles)

But really, since I'm obviously not a goth, I just wanted to see if people can agree on one definition of goth.

What IS goth to you?

I have read the book What is Goth by Voltaire. I don't think I've ever had more fun reading a book in my life.

To those who have read it, what are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:25 pm
Goth is a state of mind, an awareness and acceptance of the darker parts of yourself and your willingness to accept them.  

Rellik San
Crew

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:34 pm
Silly.Doll
Am I a goth?

The answer is... prolly' not. I'm not a goth, I just play one on TV.
Of course other people will tell you I'm a goth.
You may even go as far to say that I'm a poser-goth. Or as I like have fondly called... a goth-tart. (I got this word from the special eddition halloween poptarts, with the bat shaped sprinkles)

But really, since I'm obviously not a goth, I just wanted to see if people can agree on one definition of goth.

What IS goth to you?

I have read the book What is Goth by Voltaire. I don't think I've ever had more fun reading a book in my life.

To those who have read it, what are your thoughts?

Goth is just the darker parts of a person... Goth is being able to acept the dark parts of you with out question and doubt.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:40 pm
According to Voltaire, Mick Mercer, and many others (including myself)...

A goth is an avid fan of goth-rock (and related genres) and a supporter and follower of the community borne from the music.  

GilAskan
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:45 pm
Silly.Doll
I just wanted to see if people can agree on one definition of goth.

You are kidding right? o.O

That's led to many an argument on here..

there seem to be 2-3 versions or variations on them:

Fan of Goth-Rock

'Dark' personality or state-of-mind/love of 'dark' things

Anyone that wears black and listens to music that isn't of the mainstream (usaully used by those not of 'alternative' subculture/less well informed members of the 'alternative' subcultre)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:48 pm
Goth to me is basically someone who identifies with the subculture, whether it be interest in the music, the fashion, the mindset, or any other part of the culture.

(PS: Do you mean Voltaire as in the Enlightenment era philosophe Voltaire? Because I've been hearing a lot of people talking about different Voltaires and getting all excited only to be disappointed. The newer Voltaires aren't nearly as amazing as the original.)  

Kristoya

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:48 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Anyone that wears black and listens to music that isn't of the mainstream (usaully used by those not of 'alternative' subculture/less well informed members of the 'alternative' subcultre)

There is the alternative 4th view... we are just damn sexy people and love to flaunt it. XD.

Because whats more attractive then a girl suffocating herself in a corset?
Or a guy in tight leather pants?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:53 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

There is the alternative 4th view... we are just damn sexy people and love to flaunt it. XD.

*laughs* darn, can't believe I missed that one!  

Isobel Bellamy

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:57 pm
Tyshia
Goth to me is basically someone who identifies with the subculture, whether it be interest in the music, the fashion, the mindset, or any other part of the culture.

(PS: Do you mean Voltaire as in the Enlightenment era philosophe Voltaire? Because I've been hearing a lot of people talking about different Voltaires and getting all excited only to be disappointed. The newer Voltaires aren't nearly as amazing as the original.)

The Voltaire most commonly referenced to here in goth matters is the multi-talented Voltaire of "oh my Goth!" fame  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:59 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Tyshia

The Voltaire most commonly referenced to here in goth matters is the multi-talented Voltaire of "oh my Goth!" fame

Rawr, disappointment. I have read up on some of that Voltaire's stuff, but I still much prefer the original. sad  

Kristoya

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:02 pm
Tyshia
Isobel Bellamy
Tyshia

Rawr, disappointment. I have read up on some of that Voltaire's stuff, but I still much prefer the original. sad

Ah, sorry hun ^^;

Hrm original Voltaire eh? When I have enough money to get a new book I'll look him up (slight problem in that I don't have enough to eat atm o.O), I'm currently reading Dante at the moment, deliciously pretentious and tutors think you're smart too ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:18 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Well lets be honest, dressing in a typically gothic way can't be comfy, so why else do it?

You and me as metal heads (you said it somewhere before you are I think) have sense to wear clothes with plenty of breathing space.  

Rellik San
Crew

Athiel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:24 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Could not have expressed myself better than that.^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Well lets be honest, dressing in a typically gothic way can't be comfy, so why else do it?

You and me as metal heads (you said it somewhere before you are I think) have sense to wear clothes with plenty of breathing space.

It's easier to get dressed in the dark in an outfit that isn't all complicated and lacy^^

And you're less likely to fall off New rocks than you are in three-inch spike heals. I'm a safety conscious alternative gal xd  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:33 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

It's easier to get dressed in the dark in an outfit that isn't all complicated and lacy^^

And you're less likely to fall off New rocks than you are in three-inch spike heals. I'm a safety conscious alternative gal xd

Don't wanna blow away in the wind.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces