Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
If I'm the only one... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free gold for you.
  yay. : ]]
View Results

The Rock ~n~ Roll Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:50 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageFrom Yesterday,I'll remember you,from tommorrow,I'll forget you...

I want to know if I'm not the only one doing this...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT...

Sometimes, when I'm bored, I like looking up words in the dictionary.

I'll look through it, and learn more and more new words...

I just love it.

And also, when I type something, I will check through the words atleast 5 times.

Does anybody else do it?

If not, then I'm probably the world's biggest dumbass.

From Today and so on...Let's just make every little good thing last forever
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:07 pm
Only time I use a dictionary is when I'm not sure a word means what I think it does. This happens.. more often than I'd like, since a large chunk of my vocabulary is from context.

Also: Spaces after commas.  

The Man who was Thursday

rain-one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 pm
Tee hee, I do that too. I love words. I've learned some of my favourite that way.
Also, I am somewhat obsessed with not using new words incorrectly and so find myself spending inordinate amounts of time with my head in the dictionary (or dictionary.com) to make sure that no one can mock me. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm
I happily waste hours thumbing through dictionaries and other reference works just for a little bit of self-improvement. I think it's a perfectly commendable activity if you enjoy it!  

ririnyan

Ishita_Kanzar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 am
I don't browse through dictionaries, but if I'm online and I come across a new word (happens quite a lot with all the ebooks I read), Dictionary.com is my saviour.

And when I type something, I check as I type, not after I've typed it. Most of the times, I catch all the typos I make, and a cursory 'beta' afterwards is enough to catch the rest. Of course, this is something I built up to over time... as my typing became more accurate, the less time I spent (and spend) checking what I'd typed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:42 am
I read a dictionary during reading time. I was still on A though when it was over.  

SinnyStar

Invisible Star

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 am
Ishita_Kanzar
I don't browse through dictionaries, but if I'm online and I come across a new word (happens quite a lot with all the ebooks I read), Dictionary.com is my saviour.

Dictionary.com is the greatest website EVAR!
Apart from IMDB, because that's the greatest website EVAR!

So Dictionary.com is the second best website.. I won't say it.

Dictionary.co.uk has let me down too many times.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:53 am
Hey Rock ~n~ Roll Bunny,
Have you ever seen the movie The Baxter?
It is hilarious! It's definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.
You made me think of the movie because the main character and his "love interest" find that they both have the same hobby of reading the Dictionary. He asks her, "Have you gotten to 'G' yet? It's the best!" Haha!
Clicky on the IMDB link  

daisy4given

felicityvalentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:19 am
I do that too. Last summer, every night I crack open my dictionary and read until midnight. I also write down the words that I find nice, like mignonette and tourniquet. (French words are awesome!)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:55 pm
I do flip randomly through the dictionary sometimes; I've found some great words that way! It's a good way to expand your vocabulary.  

Woodnut

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:02 pm
SinnySpid
I read a dictionary during reading time. I was still on A though when it was over.

I remember doing that before because I forgot to bring a book.

I was the one to joke about the name of the session too. It was called "Drop Everything And Read", or DEAR for short, so I would pick something up, drop it, and then say "let's read". (I know, that's not funny.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:17 pm
Dictionary? Ha.
Such an inferior book is insulting to my vocabulary.  

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

DemonessRose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 am
Plenty of people do it... let's face it, the dictionary is practically the bible. A lot of people I know look up words just to impress others... although it can be quite funny when they use the words in the wrong context.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:39 am
Ezra Pound
Only time I use a dictionary is when I'm not sure a word means what I think it does. This happens.. more often than I'd like, since a large chunk of my vocabulary is from context.

Also: Spaces after commas.

Heh, same here. sweatdrop I have enough difficulties with vocabulary what with learning 5 languages and all, so I don't spend so much time with my English vocabulary, and school certainly doesn't bother me about it.  

kyuuketsuki4

diabloking378

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm
The only time I ever use the dictionary is when I'm in French class. BUMP  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items