Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Txt Tlk: When is it acceptable? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chat Speak?
  Texting.
  AIM
  Never.
View Results

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 am
I think when text messaging it is acceptable to use Chat Speak, or "Txt Tlk". When do you think it is acceptable?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 pm
Never. Chat speak or 'txt tlk' is an abomination to the English language. If less people used it, the world might see a general increase of school exam passes. I know that this seems a bit of a long shot, but it could happen. If you use 'txt tlk' then you're just plain stupid.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Kitten_Ember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:03 pm
The only time I think it should EVER be used is when texting on a cell phone that does not have a full alpha-numeric keyboard. Otherwise it's just laziness in my not so humble opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:06 pm
Although, you can still get a full alhpa-numerical set on these phones, it just takes a tiny bit longer to type them out. Hence... Predictive Text.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 pm
Smoozle
Although, you can still get a full alhpa-numerical set on these phones, it just takes a tiny bit longer to type them out. Hence... Predictive Text.

Wanting to type out a completely correct text message is actually going too far. It really is.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:16 pm
I have one word for you:

Why?  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:22 pm
Smoozle
I have one word for you:

Why?

Because first of all, most people don't have time. Second of all, it is really hard, especially on my cell phone, where I have to press many buttons. What I can't stand is when people believe that every single thing that your are ever speaking of has to be completely correct. I have one word too, why?

What is so entirely wrong about using chat speak when text messaging? It's hard, takes a long time, and to just have someone read it once and never pay attention to it again? I think that is completely pointless. But chat speaking with AIM is bad though. Same with email, and other things that involve typing-like forums. That's where I draw the line at chat speak, and you really should use good grammar. But text messaging...

...and I should also tell you another important reason. I have a limit on CHARACTERS. I HAVE to use Chat Speak because I can only say 160 characters and I tend to write seriously long messages. So sometimes you need to cut your words short, and just go chat speak crazy because otherwise you can barely say anything, with typing out every letter and every punctuation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:28 pm
Or you could send another text.

And anyway, why shouldn't people write out in full. If they are texting someone that doesn't know about 'txt tlk' then it may be very hard for that person to understand. I know it takes me a little longer to read a text in 'txt tlk' than it does in English.

Happy first of February by the way.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:01 pm
Smoozle
Or you could send another text.

And anyway, why shouldn't people write out in full. If they are texting someone that doesn't know about 'txt tlk' then it may be very hard for that person to understand. I know it takes me a little longer to read a text in 'txt tlk' than it does in English.

Happy first of February by the way.

I have a limit on texts and if I text too much, then I will get in trouble. There's a reason.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:26 pm
Smoozle
Never. Chat speak or 'txt tlk' is an abomination to the English language. If less people used it, the world might see a general increase of school exam passes. I know that this seems a bit of a long shot, but it could happen. If you use 'txt tlk' then you're just plain stupid.
Fewer.
If fewer people used it...  

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

Lekonua

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 pm
I consider it okay when texting. I mean, who wants to type out words on a cell phone?

Especially when you're typing a really long message.

It is known as "text-talk" after all, right?
neutral

Of course, I don't use it even in text messages. I type fast enough to get my message done reasonably quick and need not worry about shortening my words. An added bonus is the fact that people are guaranteed to understand it quickly without having to decipher a page of txt tlk.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 pm
I don't send many SMS's, but when I do (and they're not just messages that tell someone that I'm almost at the destination or whatever), I tend to shorten several words like too, to and two, then delete the spaces around the number. I also delete the spaces around a punctuation mark, because it's easy enough for the recipient to understand what I'm trying to say and I also save on character count!
However, I don't actually use *much* TXT TLK.
This may be because the people most likely to receive messages from me are my parents, and I doubt they want to read some horrible mangled English when it's their second language.  

Ishita_Kanzar

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:37 pm
I both agree and disagree with Smoozle. I personally never use text-talk, and I tend to get rather annoyed when talking to people that use it alot, but sometimes when sending text messages I do have to shorten the text a little bit, either so it can fit into one message (saves money and I don't really have alot of money!) or so that I can actually send it because of the text limit. I'd feel very weird with sending a full message and then one or two words in a different message. But usually it'd be replacing the 'and's with &s and replacing Icelandic word with shorter English ones, etc.

I do hate the excuse 'it saves tiiiime' though. What is it about time anyway, we have time in abundance and still everybody keeps freaking out because they think they're losing so much of it. Today's society is all about doing things FAST. Whyyyy? D:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:35 pm
The only time I find chat speak to be acceptable is when text messaging on a cell phone. Incidently, I find text messaging fairly inane.  

Astral Sun

SchwickilySargasmicBby

450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:12 pm
Well, I never really use "txt talk," because I can't text on my cell phone anyway, but if I did have text, I would probably use text talk so that I could write more in my messages.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff