Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Can "ghetto" talk get anymore annoying?! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ghetto talk?
  HELLZ YEAH,HOMIE G DAWG!!!111!!!
  No.
  What is this "Gheto talk" you speak of?
  I don't even know what they are saying most/half of the time.
  POLL WHORE COMING THROUGH!!!
View Results

The Rock ~n~ Roll Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageFrom Yesterday,I'll remember you,from tommorrow,I'll forget you...

Why are they doing this to us ?

Is this some type of twisted idea to annoy us grammar lovers ?

Let me tell you a not-so-lovely storie about why I hate ghetto talk .

Once upon a time , when I was a little 2nd grader , I was a spelling freak .

I still am today , but more serious about it now .

Why so ?

Well , because , in 2nd grade , there lived a little boy next to my seat .

His name was "Jay-Tee" , but it was really Johny Thompson .

And little boy Johny , or "Jay Tee" , loved to think he was black .

He was one of those so called "Wiggers" , as they like to say .

One day , they were doing a spelling bee practice .

Little boy Johny was called on,and was told to spell "Dog" .

So,Little boy Johny , stood up and said :

"Dog- D-A-W-G -Dog ."

And,well... let's just say the ending for Little boy Johny wasn't so pleasant .

But for I,Little Spelling Girl Freak Alex , It was a BEAUTIFUL ending .

Disscussion:
"Wiggers"
Bad Spellers
& of course
Bad Grammar speakers .

From Today and so on...Let's just make every little good thing last forever
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:49 pm
Y'know what bugs me?
Talking. Like. This.  

The Man who was Thursday

baby_dragonite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:12 pm
I think I've joined the wrong guild. So far I've made every grammatical error known to this guild. And ghetto talk is actually easy to understand . . . once you get used to it. Although even I run into some people I just can't understand. It's kind of fun when you want to screw around with your parents.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:41 pm
Baby_dragon.06
I think I've joined the wrong guild. So far I've made every grammatical error known to this guild. And ghetto talk is actually easy to understand . . . once you get used to it. Although even I run into some people I just can't understand. It's kind of fun when you want to screw around with your parents.
Making the error doesn't making you out of place here, it's the kind of people who don't care about such errors, or do it to be cool that we (or at least I) resent.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Clearly Opaque

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:05 am
Baby_dragon.06

I don't have a problem with some errors and some grammatical things, I'm not a G.N. about it. But I feel it is important to keep one code speak out of the other, aka, speak clear and fluent English when in an English speaking country; When In Rome, as they say. If you want to talk ebonix with your friends, fine, as long as you understand that outside of your group, that type of speech is NOT welcome amongst most other English speaking parties.

And as for the comment about "screwing around with your parents" I guess some of us grew out of that. *shrugs* Adults don't normally feel a need to use a barbarisn language to annoy their parents...but then, I used Latin and Greek and Hebrew on mine, languages that are developed and not based on grunts and bad use of language.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:26 am
Yes, it can get more annoying. Trust me *grimace*  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

DemonessRose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 am
I do say, this can become quite the tomfoolery. How and ever the people who use it, do not know better english. So really in a way, their language is the only language they know to communicate with everyone else in a civil society. It is the people who know proper english, but choose to talk in that sence, who make the language a joke. Thus my point stands, they are only trying to communicate in a civil society with what they only know. Who knows... perhaps they are the ones getting tired of our english?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:20 am
That was quite an amusing story.

I use ghetto talk mainly in jest, as I am very white and have a thick southern accent, so when I do say something along the lines of, "Fo' reals, homes, ain't nuttin' but a thang," it's quite hilarious.  

Lady Snoogin

8,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:58 pm
Ebonics (the word meaning ghetto talk) is a whole other language in and of itself. I grew up in a ghetto neighborhood, so I know a little bit of it. One thing that can be said about ebonics is that it is a constantly changing language. I have been out of the ghetto for about 6 years now, and I have heard new words develop since my leave.

It is an ever evolving language.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:41 pm
neutral I think I live in Wigger-Ville. I've come across at least ten of them in the Freshies alone.

Believe me, it can get much, MUCH more annoying than this. They just have to try.

Now THIS is annoying:
I had a Physical Science class last year, and there was this boy, let's call him Cory. He's paler than I am, and I'm pretty flippin' pale to begin with. Our teacher was Filipino, so obviously she had a lovely medium complexion. (I'm jealous of it.) I'll call her Mrs. Tomato.
Now, Cory was very annoying, very loud, and not very bright. His pants fell down every day, so Mrs. Tomato made him keep a belt in her room because it was disgusting and just rude.
One day she got fed up with him never wearing the belt and seeing his boxers every day. She threatened him with a Saturday detention. He yelled at her, "It 'cause I'm black ain't it!"

The only thing that annoys me more about him is that he purposely misspells EVERYTHING he writes, and on his papers he chatspeaks/leetspeaks.  

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

Clearly Opaque

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 am
demented pandora
[...]

The only thing that annoys me more about him is that he purposely misspells EVERYTHING he writes, and on his papers he chatspeaks/leetspeaks.

See, when that kind of thing happened occasionally in my college career. Let's just say I "spent alot of time" in the English department with my class choices, so I heard alot of horror stories, and saw alot of them happen. Two of my favorite teachers of all time are Lit teachers. When that kind of s**t happens in college, where it REALLY counts, a good English teacher won't take it! No Sir'ee!

A fitting story for you that this has plumbed up from the darker recesses of my memory: *Scooby Doo Effect* A few years ago in a British Literature course, mind you, these are required for ANY degree at the University I attended at the time, so we got alot of "lower lifers" as the teachers called them, as group of about three people were giving the teacher s**t. I happen to like this particular teacher as she teachs "odd-ball" courses like Vampire Literature and Gothic Horror (both rarely covering modern novels) so I hold special love for this teacher. These people would talk "Ghetto" around her out of spite, and she would mostly ignore them, or bounce thinly veiled insults off of them that they could not get due to their general lack of broader reading knowledge, which she, I, and some of the other "well read" students would end in stitches about. She told them time and time and time again to write their essays and homework in an "intelligent and literate form" but they insisted they were "ghetto grown and deserved to be graded on their creativity and not their writing skill".

Well, long story short, they were not pleased when their papers were delayed for weeks, nearly to the end of the course, while everyone else's was sent back. Her reply, with a smirk, was "Well, I had to hire a translater who understands ghetto-gibberish to help me!" They thought this a joke and laughed along with the rest of us who know this particular teacher well.

About two weeks before the course ended, she started giving them their papers back. They were nearly all F's. They began to throw a tantrum, of course, feeling gyped. So she replied with "Well, that translater was expensive! I had to go all the way to the Ghetto downstairs in the Foreign Language department for help!"

When the final essays came in, she had been generous and given them D's. Which meant they would then have to repeat the course to graduate! They were FURIOUS. To which she met their streams of curses with: "This is college, where you PAY for your grades, not high school. Here I call the shots, and this is an ENGLISH based course. If you can't speak English, go back to the ghetto and get a job as a crack dealer, cause you won't get a job playing these games in the REAL WORLD!"

The sad thing is, her boyfriend teaches the one of other British Literature courses, and is just as hard. One of the other teachers for it will make more open fun of idiots, but then have them removed by security. And the third and final teacher I would SWEAR is a true "Grammar Nazi"! He even failed one of my papers for having a semi-c where I needed a comma!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:09 am
IEditYourWorld
Ebonics (the word meaning ghetto talk) is a whole other language in and of itself. [ ... ] It is an ever evolving language.
IEditYourWorld

Not saying it is not a "language" any more than "txt tlk" is, but talking in Ebonics will not get you a job outside of Burger King or Hardees, and these only in a place where people can understand what you are saying. Of the people I have met and known over my years who lived in the Ghetto, they all had one thing in mind: Moving Up and OUT of the Ghettos. I think we can safely say that most mothers from the Ghetto want their babies to grow up and move into a good job in a nice neighborhood. Not to grow up and be a crack dealer, which is about the best paying job in the Ghetto there is short of hooker. Go ahead and say I am wrong, but "talking ghetto" does not make people look cool to me, it makes them look like they came out of the Ghetto! Those trying to move up and out in my opinion are given much props from me, but those who are doing this to "look cool" are seriously just some sad individuals who don't understand how this world works and like to wallow in their shame. Call me an elitist...cause I AM!  

Clearly Opaque

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:16 am
Hrm.... well i don't agree with the statement of people "acting black." Now I can see people wanting to be "Ghetto" but just because you're black doesn't mean you're ghetto. Also, I dislike (for lack of a better word)
people who try to associate themselves PURPOSELY with a "race" or a stereotype for attention. I've argued it over in the forums many times before. Also, that one white guy needs a reality check. I would have been offended for that whole race and i'm not even really black. So I guess I kind of took it in the way where people think black people are stupid. But I don't want to turn this into a racial issue so..... Keep that ghetto talkin' leet speak outta here!
*Mmm-wah*  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 am
At my first security post, back in the day, in Tennessee, I was one of two officers manning the back end of a steel-processing plant. The plant manager hired a team of contractors from out of state to come and work on the roof for several months. Unfortunately for them, I was the one in the office the first day they came to work.

Picture, if you will, about fifteen black fellows all lined up, awaiting their contractor-passes bright and early in the morning. They're in a good mood, laughing, joking and whatnot. One of them gets to the window:

Me: "Name?"
Him: "Dawg." (He's so confident)
Me: *stare* *pause*
Me: "..All right, is that with one G, or two?"
Him: *pause* "..Huh?"
Me: "Is that 'dog' with one G or two?"

The rest of the line gets pretty quiet at this point.

Him: *mumbling* "..Francis."
Me: *writing down 'Frank'* "Thank you." *hands over badge*

The other guys ribbed him about it for the rest of the day. I never had any trouble out of them, actually. Decent sorts.  

Setsu-P has stepped out

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 am
Setsu-P
At my first security post, back in the day, in Tennessee, I was one of two officers manning the back end of a steel-processing plant. The plant manager hired a team of contractors from out of state to come and work on the roof for several months. Unfortunately for them, I was the one in the office the first day they came to work.

Picture, if you will, about fifteen black fellows all lined up, awaiting their contractor-passes bright and early in the morning. They're in a good mood, laughing, joking and whatnot. One of them gets to the window:

Me: "Name?"
Him: "Dawg." (He's so confident)
Me: *stare* *pause*
Me: "..All right, is that with one G, or two?"
Him: *pause* "..Huh?"
Me: "Is that 'dog' with one G or two?"

The rest of the line gets pretty quiet at this point.

Him: *mumbling* "..Francis."
Me: *writing down 'Frank'* "Thank you." *hands over badge*

The other guys ribbed him about it for the rest of the day. I never had any trouble out of them, actually. Decent sorts.

HAH! Now THAT is funny. I started to crack up.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff