Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The benefits of "Txt-talk" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is it?
  *shrugs* I haven't a clue.
  Some kind of phone lanuage, does anyone really know?
  *points and laughs8 YOUR DYSLEXIC!!
View Results

Jesus_is_kings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:47 am
Okay, so what are they? Why woud people abuse the English language in such a way?

I have never used this txt-talk, because of two main reasons: 1) It baffles me
2) I'm dsylexic so braking down words and sounds of words has all ways bemused me.

Could some one please help me to understand this new language?? I haven't a clue about it, why it is and where it came from...Thank you.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 am
1. Faster.
2. Capable of expressing different things.
3. At times more logical than English.  

The Man who was Thursday

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:46 am
Ezra Pound basically got it all. I think it also stems from people being just plain lazy, too lazy and still in too much of a hurry to bother hitting the shift key or punctuation keys; with time they also became too lazy to bother with all the vowels or going back to correct their mistakes.

I can understand not bothering with capitalism or punctuation all the time in instant messages, I did it myself for a long while and have just recently begun to start using it again.. sweatdrop But when you are posting a whole text on, say, a forum or a blog, you really should bother and if you're not sure, you can use a spell checker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:40 pm
On top of that, say someone is leaving a text message on a cell phone, every letter costs so many cents, so by toning the words down, you are saving less.

Also, when you are talking on msn for a long time, your fingers can really get tired from the work out, so instead of writing laugh out loud, to simply write lol is more convenient.

Text talk isn't quite abusing the english language... not when it's on msn but when it becomes a person's vocabulary is when texting can become a problem.  

DemonessRose

Unknowncreepychick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:05 pm
I guess it's a matter of preferance, but in my opinion, it's not as expressive as real english. So I tend not to use it, unless rushed for time.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:08 pm
Personally, I believe that people who participate in text talk are simply too lazy to type out their words!  

Vitoria-Chan

Angel80272

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:28 pm
ljosberinn
...if you're not sure, you can use a spell checker.

Don't most browsers now come with spell-checkers built in anyway?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:21 am
Its very much only noobs or people in a hurry that use text talk.
I tend to use lol or omg, even wtf because its quicker and I find it sounds better.
Just out of intrest....Is using smileys like this ^_^ text talk?
I'm not so sure.

Violet the mystical

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:16 pm
I never use "txt tlk" if I can help it. Sometimes in chat rooms though, it's more efficient to get your message across to other people. Alot of people use it because the messages go SOO fast when you have 50 people on 1 screen. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:32 am
Thank you guys! i didn't mean things like "lol" or "roflmao" because those make it easier to type with out your fingers getting tierd out, i meant things like, taking out Vowels and leaving out some parts of a word....thats what i don't understand.
Yes, it's faster, easier and a lot easier to spell but it looks so wierd and not at all beautiful....I feel the English language has been written a certain way for a certain reason, and all though English is a ever changing medium of language, it still helps if people use the common, wider understood version of it, yes?  

Jesus_is_kings

Seabutcher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:01 am
I think it was first intended to make it easier and faster to type long messages, but it has since become a pain to read. There's now THOUSANDS of acronyms for different things, and it takes a lot more time just to look up what the darn things mean...
AND the fact that the lack of grammer can completely unintentionally change the meaning of a sentence.
I sometimes use "lol", "brb" and "g2g", but those are pretty universal, pretty much everyone knows what they mean.

Still, at least acronym abuse isn't as bad as AlTeRnAtInG cAsEs, which REALLY hurt my eyes after a while. Where the heck did THAT come from? And WHY?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:04 am
Quote:
all though English is a ever changing medium of language, it still helps if people use the common, wider understood version of it, yes?

Yeah, at the rate it's going, I think foreigners seem to understand it better than most Brits razz

I also remember hearing that stuff like the Bible, and the works of Shakespere are being translated into "txt tlk". For instance: "2B? NT2B?". That was a headline in a paper sometime last year, I think....  

Seabutcher

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:14 am
Seabutcher

Yeah, at the rate it's going, I think foreigners seem to understand it better than most Brits razz

I also remember hearing that stuff like the Bible, and the works of Shakespere are being translated into "txt tlk". For instance: "2B? NT2B?". That was a headline in a paper sometime last year, I think....

Yeah, there was an article on that in the guild last year. *is too lazy to search for it* Honestly, I'd have more trouble reading those works in text form than in regular form.

As for why "txt tlk" came along: Laziness and the fact that many people can't touch type.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:21 am
Angel80272
ljosberinn
...if you're not sure, you can use a spell checker.

Don't most browsers now come with spell-checkers built in anyway?

Do they? I didn't know.. and I doubt many people care..

Seabutcher
Still, at least acronym abuse isn't as bad as AlTeRnAtInG cAsEs, which REALLY hurt my eyes after a while. Where the heck did THAT come from? And WHY?

Oh God yes, where the hell did that come from?? It's both more difficult to write and to read! D:

Seabutcher

Yeah, I remember that as well. I'd understand translating it into modern English maybe, since the old English can be a bit difficult to understand (albeit not too difficult if you put a little thought into it neutral ) but TXT-TALK? Why?? emo

ljosberinn

Jesus_is_kings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:41 am
Seabutcher
I think it was first intended to make it easier and faster to type long messages, but it has since become a pain to read. There's now THOUSANDS of acronyms for different things, and it takes a lot more time just to look up what the darn things mean...
AND the fact that the lack of grammer can completely unintentionally change the meaning of a sentence.
I sometimes use "lol", "brb" and "g2g", but those are pretty universal, pretty much everyone knows what they mean.

Ah man! I Just delete those type of messages and ask them to send me one in English... xp I am considered by my mom and dad to be an old fasioned person, that jsut makes me feel old.. neutral  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff