whats with the K Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:11 am
For some odd reason the when people add a K to magic it irks me. It irks me more then it should, it seems to get under my skin to the extent i want to hit my head on the desk.

Anyway..... Why do some people find it neccecery to do this?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 am
I kind of feel the same way. I think its almost pretenious, honestly. Many people say that they aid the extra 'k' to seperate their version of magic from stage magic. Personally, if someone is interested in the occult, they are going to know what kind of magic your talking about regardless of the the k. If someone thinks magic is hogwash, then all the ks in the world won't change their mind.
Yet some people just love that k. I think to some, it must make the word magic even more mystical. What I wonder is if they add an extra to everything?  

iolitefire

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:40 am
Truth be told i did use it when I was young, but to me it seems to just be a way of sounding more important.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 am
SiegeDragomon
Truth be told i did use it when I was young, but to me it seems to just be a way of sounding more important.

I did as well....when I was Wiccan. Most Wiccan books advocate the 'k'.....and we all know that some authors love to feel more important than they really are. When my brief time with Wicca was up, I started dropping the k.  

iolitefire

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 pm
Well magick with a "k" is spelt that way by Crowley because he liked the numerology of six letters over five.

Magic is also sometimes spelty with a k to diferentiate between stage and real mgic, though its not my bag.

Apparently old English also spells magic with a k and some people are taking it back old school.

Me I like the no k just fine for my own purposes.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:31 pm
blindfaith^_^
Well magick with a "k" is spelt that way by Crowley because he liked the numerology of six letters over five.

Magic is also sometimes spelty with a k to diferentiate between stage and real mgic, though its not my bag.

Apparently old English also spells magic with a k and some people are taking it back old school.

I can kind of understand why Crowley did it, but I actually have friends who are almost fluent in Old English and from what they told me, magic was not spelled 'magick' in that language. It was actually spelled 'magik'. No language spelled magic as 'magick'. There was magic, magik, magia, magie, and magique though.  

iolitefire

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:39 pm
iolitefire
blindfaith^_^

I can kind of understand why Crowley did it, but I actually have friends who are almost fluent in Old English and from what they told me, magic was not spelled 'magick' in that language. It was actually spelled 'magik'. No language spelled magic as 'magick'. There was magic, magik, magia, magie, and magique though.

Ah, I'll make of note of that for futrure conversations. Thanks ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:52 pm
I think it's ugly, stupid, and only proves that the user can't spell.

There is already a word that means "magic." Why use another that makes it look like you can't spell?  

Pelta

iolitefire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:05 pm
I just hate it when people have fits that I don't spell it with a 'ck'. Although, I do like the Old English spelling. Magik is a cool word. Magique is cute too but magik sounds more hardcore.

....magik!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:38 pm
iolitefire
....magik!!!
Mahg-Ick? whee

Miguck! Moogick? Migack! Mugwimp! Miggles!

There's all sorts of ways to spell it! xd  

Pelta

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:40 pm
mawgik

meegook

macik

kagick

nagick

magichek  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:59 am
Don't forget majyk.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:12 am
I find the K redundant...

also Magic fits better numerologically what with having the value of 7.
Magick increases the value to 9...

Personally it doesn't matter to me, in my most spoken language it's just "magi" No consonant at the end.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:29 am
Do you want to know why some people still spell it that way? So they can make sure people know the difference between what they do, and stage magic (like a magician who saws people in half). Thats one of the major reasons why.
Personally I don't give two shits if you spell is with a ck, a c, or a k. I spell it magic. I always have, I always will. Its the same damned thing no matter how you spell it.

Winter Black
Crew

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 am
Winter Black
Do you want to know why some people still spell it that way? So they can make sure people know the difference between what they do, and stage magic (like a magician who saws people in half). Thats one of the major reasons why.
But that's still a rather ridiculous reason.

Tear and tear are the same word that mean different things. I don't see anybody tacking extra consonants to the end of them to differentiate between crying and ripping things to shreds...

English is a language quite fond of words with double meanings.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff