Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Aren't English teachers supposed to spell well? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wow.
  :Shock:
  -cough-
  Simple mistake...? -hopes-
  Um yeah, that's sad.
View Results

Frankly Frankie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 pm
Not necessarily, I know. My point is that I've corrected my English teacher twice! On Lightning (spelled lightening) and on another word...that I seem to have forgotten.
On a different subject, I write in a notebook with my two friends and one is fully literate. However, my other friend is very illiterate crying and also cannot spell "again".  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 pm
Can I just say that people aren't always perfect I'm sure (or I hope I'm right) that it was just asimple mistake!  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

jackthepumpkinhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:44 pm
like I said in the other thread, when you're providing the exemplar it isn't acceptable AT ALL to make mistakes.

If you're teaching a student how to perform cpr, is it okay if you accidentally show them the wrong technique which could lead to them killing somebody?

If you're a science teacher explaining how to use a bunsen burner, or perform an experiment involving corrosive chemicals, is it okay to make a mistake in your method which could lead to somebody injuring themselves or another?

Why are people so careless with English? If you're going to teach it, you better hope you have a MASTERFUL grasp of it, otherwise you're not being fair to your students.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:50 pm
jackthepumpkinhead
like I said in the other thread, when you're providing the exemplar it isn't acceptable AT ALL to make mistakes.

If you're teaching a student how to perform cpr, is it okay if you accidentally show them the wrong technique which could lead to them killing somebody?

If you're a science teacher explaining how to use a bunsen burner, or perform an experiment involving corrosive chemicals, is it okay to make a mistake in your method which could lead to somebody injuring themselves or another?

Why are people so careless with English? If you're going to teach it, you better hope you have a MASTERFUL grasp of it, otherwise you're not being fair to your students.

I agree, people just don't understand that.  

kirb-sama

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:44 pm
Yep, I agree. Just wondering...isn't this thread too similar to mine?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:06 pm
I know I forget some of the rules of the English language, but I have the most difficulty remembering my Spanish grammer/spelling. . . I hate those stupid accent marks, and I get all my rules mixed up.  

baby_dragonite

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:44 pm
Congratulations!
You've discovered that the American public education system sucks.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:48 pm
jackthepumpkinhead

I don't think those are fair comparisons. "Misspelling 'lightening' will give you all nasty burns!" Is it really that important? Don't answer that.

Nextly, don't dis your teachers. Hey, are those your diplomas hanging on the back wall? Yeah. I'm your English teacher, not a friggin robot. Thanks. Hey, next mistake you make, I'll remember it on your letter of recommendation. You're on my list.  

Gachetemas

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 pm
Since when did students care, anyway?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:39 pm
Gachetemas
jackthepumpkinhead

I don't think those are fair comparisons. "Misspelling 'lightening' will give you all nasty burns!" Is it really that important? Don't answer that.

Nextly, don't dis your teachers. Hey, are those your diplomas hanging on the back wall? Yeah. I'm your English teacher, not a friggin robot. Thanks. Hey, next mistake you make, I'll remember it on your letter of recommendation. You're on my list.

hey, guess what?

Nextly isn't a word.  

jackthepumpkinhead

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:47 am
jackthepumpkinhead
Gachetemas
jackthepumpkinhead

hey, guess what?

Nextly isn't a word.

Does it matter? You knew what he meant, and if you didn't, you're an idiot.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:16 am
Judas lscariot
jackthepumpkinhead
Gachetemas
jackthepumpkinhead

hey, guess what?

Nextly isn't a word.

Does it matter? You knew what he meant, and if you didn't, you're an idiot.

I knew what he meant, but it shows quite well the kind of mistakes becoming common these days because of a more lax attitude towards the formal rules of English.

I know there's nothing much that can be done about it since the whole education system seems to be following the same trend, but I find it sad that there's such a blase treatment of a subject I think is very important for students to become proficient in.

I mean if your maths teacher taught you that 9x9 is 83 people wouldn't go "meh, everyone's human, everyone makes mistakes", you'd think they were an idiot.  

jackthepumpkinhead

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:19 am
Gachetemas
jackthepumpkinhead

I agree. I mean, to me it would just seem like they'd like their job more. If they suck at spelling but still go through the classes to be an English teacher, then they'd want it more than some of the better spellers, right? Unless they just loved the money. My teachers make mistakes sometimes and teh class corrects them sometimes, but spelling won't kill you.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:32 am
Hmm... it is rather a bit sad although they may be writing a bit too fast and are forgetting they spelt the word wrong. People do make mistakes. There are still exceptions for teachers; they are human after all.  

`Lenzor

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 am
I don't know where everyone gets the idea that English is all about proper grammar and spelling.

:/  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces