Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Bridal Sewing? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have wedding craft ideas?
  Yes, and I'll share!
  Yes, but I'm not telling!
  No, I just want gold.
View Results

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:37 pm
He proposed last night and I said yes! heart We're planning on a long engagement - ie, the wedding will likely be next spring or summer.

So part of me is thinking of sewing my own wedding dress - I'll likely buy the bridesmaids' dresses. (We're having a semiformal outdoor wedding, so I'd probably make a short-sleeved gown with no train)

Has anyone ever sewn a bridal dress before? Any pointers?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:49 pm
I recomend making the bridesmaids dresses. Make them out of the same basic pattern as the bridal gown but make them more simple if you know what I mean.
Like where you have floor length they have knee length, where you have a row of white roses they have a ribbon, you have a bit of a bustle thing goin' on and they don't, and obviously you have white and they have color.
and make the mens ties out of the same fabric as the bridesmaids dresses.
But if you are going to do that it helps if you have bridesmaids who can sew.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:09 pm
I like that idea of modifying the pattern for the bridesmaids - who knows, I might try that!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:01 pm
Congratulations!! 4laugh I agree with I be me, if you have bridesmaids who sew or who have family members that can sew, put em to work! That being said, if you have more than say, 4 bridesmaids, it might be too much work sweatdrop But hey, you got time!

And DEFINITELY make your veil, even if you buy your dress. Those things are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced.  

gemini6184

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:30 am
Congrats. 3nodding

But geez, if a year sounds like a long engagement, then I don't know what mine is. Infinite engagement? I got engaged two years ago, and we're not getting married for at least another year or so. It'll probably be longer, given how our life things have worked out.

I haven't sewn my own dress, but I've known people who have. Their dresses were always nicer than something you could buy at the store.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:22 pm
Thanks, y'all. biggrin

Actually, after looking at the prices of bridal satin...I've decided to just buy my dress. (I know, I'm a traitor as a crafter...and especially as a sewer...I be me, please don't kill me!)

I agre with gemini, I'm definitely making my veil. And I'll probably hot-glue some pearls, lace, or flowers to a pair of shoes to make them unique. Does anybody have any other small wedding craft ideas like that? I admit, I'd like to make my fiance something to wear with his suit...  

Brunette_Star

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:53 pm
If you can make jewlery I recomend doing that as bridesmaids gifts. (do it well ahead of time)
And if you have a scrapbooker I recomend getting them to do your wedding invites (unless you have like five hundred people)

And deffinatly get premarital counceling and follow it up by agreeing to se a marage councelor every six months so things don't get bad. Your wedding will last a day but your marrage should last forever.
(advice given to me by my mother who had one failed marrage and another that lasted fifteen years so far and is still running)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:43 am
I say definitely make your jewlrey and the bridesmaids pieces. Its a lovely touch to add. ^^ Make your garter, also. I mean, the whole world sees the brides garter at an american wedding, might as well have a pretty one! ^^  

Silver Mist

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 am
i went to my cousin's wedding and she showed me her shoes. She didn't want to walk around in her high heels all day so she sewed pearls onto her flipflops so that they looked better.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:12 pm
Wow...everyone has good ideas! I dabble a bit in jewelry making, so maybe I can do that for my bridesmaids. And we're heading out Sunday to talk to a priest and start talking about dates for premarital counseling.

I like the invitation idea - I see the kits at Staples and Michaels, and that seems like such a better alternative than paying a professional four digits to print them!

(Keep the ideas coming - I have a year and a half to plan this!)  

Brunette_Star

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:30 am
Depending on where you want your reception, you can make your own center peices. If youre haviing the reception somewhere like the church or a small restaurant, it would help make it more fancy, and you can have the guests at the table raffle them off at the end of the night. If youre going to have it someplace fancy like a catering place, they have their own and will decorate to what you want, but those places are far more expensive. Silk flowers in dollar store vases is the way to go 3nodding But wait til you know what your color is and how many tables you have.

Placecards are also something printers will rip you off on. Just print your own off the computer, and use business cards if you cant find a 'placecard' template at office supply stores.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:42 am
OOooh, nice centerpiece idea, Gemini! *jots this down as well*  

Brunette_Star

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:14 am
Brunette_Star
OOooh, nice centerpiece idea, Gemini! *jots this down as well*
Those lil glass thingies in the bottom will keep the flowers straight and make them look more professional too 3nodding

and my roommate who used to work at a craft store says to look at outlets for ribbon for pew bows - the one near where shes from sells it in industrial spools. and if you cant do that, use tulle in the middle of bows to make them look bulkier, so you can buy more expensive ribbon and use less  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:27 pm
Gemi that's some awesome advice, why haven't you been telling me all this stuff! rofl

i might have missed this, but are you going to have a theme to your wedding?

Merissa Hino

Mewling Muse

14,625 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

CassieConnors11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:41 pm
Okay great idea find a bridal show. There are ways to save so much money. like making your own candle holders, um definatly the center pieces, oo the gift bags those are fun.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff