Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Valentine's, Shmalentine's. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valentine's, anyone?
  Give us a kiss!
  I'll be hiding in a flower-free, heart-free, schmoopiekins-free zone.
  Hand me the chocolate and no one will get hurt!
View Results

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:59 am
Yeah, I snark at Valentine's Day as much as anyone. It's crass. It's commercial. It's sappy cards and icksome pastel hearts and a big fat excuse to sell chocolate and diamonds. The way we celebrate it these days, it has more to do with consumerism than with love.

But I like it anyway. Because the day after Valentine's, all the unsold chocolate goes on sale. It's the time to stock up on enough truffle-stuffed red velvet boxes to see you through until the next big pig-out (Easter). And I've got to confess, I sort of like those heart-shaped boxes trimmed with ribbon. I can goth them up with some black cloth roses and use them to stash my jewellery and stitchery stuff.

So, Got Goth Guild, how do you celebrate Valentine's? Do you nibble your chocolates or stuff yourself silly? Are you cynical like me, or do you really, truly love it (points to you if you do!)?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 pm
I dont need a day set aside to remind me to cherish and love the ones who love me

but some people do

just like people need a day set aside to remind them to be thankful( thanksgiving) , and a day set aside to remind them to be charitable towards others (Christmas)

and lets face it they commericalize the hell out of every holiday, not just valentines day  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 pm
It hurts me.

I can't spend it with my lover.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm
I have no one to celebrate Valentine's Day with but I do appreciate the overwhelming waterfall of all things chocolate. Target has aisles upon aisles dedicated to discounted candy just waiting for us the day after Valentine's.  

nerdlover08

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:16 pm
I like, for all its cheese, Valentines Day, its an excuse (not that I need one) to make my love feel special.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:31 pm
I don't really have an opinion of Valentine's Day. I mean, I think it's silly that you can shower your lover with candy and gifts and cheap cards on only certain days. Personally, I don't need a holiday to do sweet things for my love, and I think it's silly how some people do. I normally don't do anything out of the ordinary on Valentine's Day. I think being randomly crazy-sweet to your loved one is a lot more meaningful than being nice because of a lame commercialized holiday.

But I also absolutely adore how the day after all candy prices go down to like dollar store pricing. xd  

Kristoya

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:40 pm
Ag, I hate the commertialisation ofthis (like every other occasion to buy things) Why the hell do you 'have' to buy someone a stuffed bear saying "I heart you" to show your affections? I received one of these once. I promptly burnt it. Anyone that thinks they'll win me over with a bear is barking up the wrong tree.

However, a day of romatic gestures are far more appretiated, they show some thought, caring and effort put into the day, unlike a box of chocolates and a card, just doling out the statutory gifts is taking the easy way out. That's not love, thats being lazy.

I think my best valentines was loosing my man, and having to track him down via notes, to be given a rather nice picnic ^^ treasure-hunt boyfriend; rather original, and much more valued.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:51 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Ag, I hate the commertialisation ofthis (like every other occasion to buy things) Why the hell do you 'have' to buy someone a stuffed bear saying "I heart you" to show your affections? I received one of these once. I promptly burnt it. Anyone that thinks they'll win me over with a bear is barking up the wrong tree.

However, a day of romatic gestures are far more appretiated, they show some thought, caring and effort put into the day, unlike a box of chocolates and a card, just doling out the statutory gifts is taking the easy way out. That's not love, thats being lazy.

I think my best valentines was loosing my man, and having to track him down via notes, to be given a rather nice picnic ^^ treasure-hunt boyfriend; rather original, and much more valued.

Yeah, but I'm a traditionalist, I guess you could say its boring, though I don't go for schlopy valentines specific bears, I usually make it myself. Same with the sweets, and rather then go see some romantic movie, I'll take her out to the mores, to watch the sun set and see the city lights. Then after that we'll go for a meal, where I usually call in a favour and get somewhere all to ourselves.

I go over the top for it, because it gives me an excuse to top myself every year, as opposed to falling into routine. I of course, buy her bears, candy, take her out for meals, or to a movie nearly every week I can.  

Rellik San
Crew

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:00 pm
Everyone knows that valintines day is a sham. However, any day that REQUIRES that tasty chocolates (not those cheap copouts that you buy in a heart-shaped box) are to be given out isn't too much of a bad thing. 3nodding

GIMMEH TEH CHOCOLATE! whee  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 pm
I usually put more focus on the roses rather than chocolate.
I just feel like a pritty wine-red rose says more than candy..  

Athiel

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 pm
I love Valentine's day.

Though, the fact that I work in a Jewelry store may affect this.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:58 pm
eh. i'm just going to go see pan's labyrinth with the girlfriend for valentines day. the reasons given for it these days are false, the story of 'saint valentine' is false. it began as a roman and greek pagan holiday. i hate the fact that christianity has made holidays commercialized and hollow.  

DR490N

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:42 pm
DR490N
eh. i'm just going to go see pan's labyrinth with the girlfriend for valentines day. the reasons given for it these days are false, the story of 'saint valentine' is false. it began as a roman and greek pagan holiday. i hate the fact that christianity has made holidays commercialized and hollow.

Everyone says that Christianity has changed our holidays. Seriously, not every holiday was pagan, and not everything about Paganism was good.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:50 pm
DR490N

Valentine's day isn't really a Christian or pagan holiday. Though the story is based around a Christian, and the date (and general idea) was pagan, the holiday was essentially invented by corporations like Hallmark. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but most evidence points me towards the idea that card, flower, and candy makers all made-up fake traditions to revitalize sales after the Christmas drop-off.  

GilAskan
Crew

The Shadow Puppet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:52 pm
I love the sales too. I really don't mind valentines day. I was bitter about in when I couldn't spend it with my boyfriend, but I no longer have him now. I'm already reminded of that everyday, so valentine's day is no different.

But like every other holiday (With the exception of halloween, which I adore for obvious reasons. And Christmas, which I love for reasons unbeknownst to me.) the only thing it means for me is sales. I can get all the cutesy stuffed animals half off.

Like after easter, I got this HUGE fuzzy blue bunny. He's about 5 feet tall, so as big as me. For about 10 dollars. whee

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff