Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The term 1337. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[N]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:46 pm
Does anyone know how the term 1337 originated or what it means? The only thing I can think of is newbs being 1337erate. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:06 pm
1337 (or leet) or supposed to be like elite. How someone got it I have no clue.  

NuclearBatman

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 pm
It origionated from l33t.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:30 pm
1337 = leet = elite.  

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

Kassassin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:37 pm
Elite? Are they retarded? How does typing like that make you "elite"? I think it makes them seem bored and unintelligent. I'd think the elite people would know how to type correctly.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 am
The Madness Combat Flash Series by Krinkels happens to have hundreds of members of 'The 1337 Crew' slaughtered every episode.
Oh yeah, they've got gradient glasses frames, lol.  

MadnessFreak

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:00 am
If that came from "elite", I don't think I wanna live in this world anymore. 1337 is evil.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:19 am
I suppose they consider themselves elite because only they can read what they're typing... I learned it just to flip them off, actually... smile I mean, I knew a bunch of them who liked to, " 5|>34|< +[-]|5 //4`/ ", (that means, "speak this way") while there were people they didn't like around, so that they could talk about those people right in front of them. It was rude and annoying... It was not "elite" at all.  

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

bove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:03 pm
The term 1337 means leet which is short for elite. It originated from gamers because it was easier just use number to type out your words instead of being literate because when your playing Counter- Strike you can't be taking the time to type out all the words.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Kassassin
Elite? Are they retarded? How does typing like that make you "elite"? I think it makes them seem bored and unintelligent. I'd think the elite people would know how to type correctly.
I strongly agree.  

Dr. Killin

Revear Tokoro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:26 pm
If you feel you can trust it:

Quote:
1. 1337
4061 up, 511 down

Hacker "Sp33k" for leet, or elite. Originating from 31337 "eleet", the UDP port used by Dead Cow Cult, a hacker group, to access Windows 95 using Back Orifice, a notorious hacking program.

From the Urban Dictionary.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:53 pm
Elite as in computer skills, not as in grammar skills.
I'm sure they could type just fine if they wanted to, anyway.  

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

Crisp n Tangy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:52 pm
Despite the fact that it means elite I still call it one thousand three hundred thirty-seven if anyone asks.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 pm
If you want a full explenation of it, Check out what I found in Wikipedia: Full explenation of leet a full explanation of leetspeak  

The Mikki

LarryTheLlama666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:56 am
People have to figure out that leet is bad and literacy is good.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff