conflabitabulous magic spells Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 am
Does it ever strike you as odd when people tell you something means something and you just assume that’s what it is.

For example, I walked into a pagan store and they had various labels on which stones could do what. The pretty blue one could make teh awesome shields and one of the green ones for health and the black one for magical laser beam satellites. (Ok maybe I’m slightly exaggerating but you get the point) They had lots of silly things like the book One Hundred and One love spells, and books with silly things like hexes for enemies and charms for good luck.

Why do so many pagans buy stuff like this?

It seems like junk to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:04 am
You know some of those teenagers that decide they want to become witches because "OMG! Itz sooo kewlzz!! I know magic!!1!1!!"?
Apparently those type of people bring in a lot of business and will buy anything. Even junk.

Though I'm not saying everything there is junk. I'm just saying when there's something like a spell book that tells you how to give your enemies the mind of a frog (seen it), that could definitely be classified as such.  

Seira Relur

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:56 am
Seira Relur
You know some of those teenagers that decide they want to become witches because "OMG! Itz sooo kewlzz!! I know magic!!1!1!!"?
Apparently those type of people bring in a lot of business and will buy anything. Even junk.

Though I'm not saying everything there is junk. I'm just saying when there's something like a spell book that tells you how to give your enemies the mind of a frog (seen it), that could definitely be classified as such.

Well you know those crazy teens and their disposable income. No one need look into anything but cool factor. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:46 am
Aye, I've wondered the same thing while looking at the New Age section in Barnes&Noble just the other day. They had SpellBooks for everything... Love, hate, masturbate (lol, I'm exaggerating too). But, seriously, the only spell book that I would consider even worth buying is one that uses purely natural materials and whose spells are nothing more than herbal remedies. I'm far too skeptical (as of yet) to be sure enough that what I'm looking at is real.  

Curiously Fruity

iolitefire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:05 pm
Well, the reason to buy the books have been explained fairly well already, but I can talk about teh stones!

While stones can seem like junk because of the "properties" that are stuck on them, they are actually pretty nifty. I use them a lot with magik since they don't require me to manipulate energy as much. They are great for focusing agents and can provide an extra oomph to magik.

The trick with stones, is that they work differently for everyone. I use stones completely differently than most pagans and I use stones that most pagans don't even know about (the ones that are more....aggressive). Most stone properties are dumb and they often conflict with each other. Make your own properties for the stones by experimenting. That's the best way for stone magik.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 pm
iolitefire
Well, the reason to buy the books have been explained fairly well already, but I can talk about teh stones!

While stones can seem like junk because of the "properties" that are stuck on them, they are actually pretty nifty. I use them a lot with magik since they don't require me to manipulate energy as much. They are great for focusing agents and can provide an extra oomph to magik.

The trick with stones, is that they work differently for everyone. I use stones completely differently than most pagans and I use stones that most pagans don't even know about (the ones that are more....aggressive). Most stone properties are dumb and they often conflict with each other. Make your own properties for the stones by experimenting. That's the best way for stone magik.

THANK YOU

People always act like they need to be spoon fed religon, and they rarely stop and figure out for themselvs, what does what for them.  

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:26 pm
SiegeDragomon
iolitefire

THANK YOU

People always act like they need to be spoon fed religon, and they rarely stop and figure out for themselvs, what does what for them.

Um... people need basic techniques. How else are they supposed to know what to do, how to act and what to say( if saying anything is required)?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:20 pm
SiegeDragomon

THANK YOU

Hey, everyone needs to start some where and it can be more than a little daunting to start from scratch with no bloody clue where to even start trying to formulate your own ideas and techniques. And some religions do have a set way of doing things; it's not all ecclectic out there.

I personally think it's nice to have a frame work to start from, even if it just gets labled as "most common uses for"; over time and practice, naturally I'm going to figure things out for myself, make changes and discovereies. But to expect someone who's still wet behind the ears and doesn't even know what path they're walking to do the same is a bit much.

blindfaith^_^
Well you know those crazy teens and their disposable income. No one need look into anything but cool factor.

It's not just teens that buy into this, and I think it's an unfair generalization to say so. These books and products, to put it simply, are out there for the uneducated of all ages. They're intended for people who want to dabble in the occult, not practice spirituality.

Scams like this exist in all areas of life, from spirituality to self help, to "get rich quick" schemes. But for some reason, I see them getting far less venom (in any circle) than the questionable and down right laughable books that end up on the New Age/Occult shelves. We react with the utmost abohorance that someone would dare try to make money by exploiting an already marginalized spirituality, and we're quick to make fun of the people who buy these products, but are we as quick to make fun of the unfortunate who's taken in my a telemarketing scam? Are we outraged when a Christian buys a book that's supposed to teach them prayers that will help them win the lottery? No. We're just pissed off when it happens to us. Really, I think it's a good sign in its own, odd and unfortunate way. If someone thinks they can make a quick buck off of us, it means that our numbers are strong enough to present a potential market that's worth taking a risk on.

It's going to mean more work on our part, but it just means we have to try and get the community for what it is out there, and make sure there is adequate information made available.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

iolitefire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:52 pm
Baby steps are fine with religion, but many things aspects of paganism (like elements, stones, herbs, etc.) are multicultural. There will never be a 100% accepted way of using these things since different cultures view them in different ways. Not everyone believes quartz is good for dreams. Not everyone believes there is only 4 elements.

What I argue against is to try and promote one way of using objects and/or doing magik. Religion and its practicies are all quite personal and everyone will practice religion differently (or not practice it at all).
With paganism, there is no *right* way of doing magik, using herbs or stones, castings spells, etc. It will be unique to everyone.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:27 pm
iolitefire
Baby steps are fine with religion, but many things aspects of paganism (like elements, stones, herbs, etc.) are multicultural. There will never be a 100% accepted way of using these things since different cultures view them in different ways. Not everyone believes quartz is good for dreams. Not everyone believes there is only 4 elements.

What I argue against is to try and promote one way of using objects and/or doing magik. Religion and its practicies are all quite personal and everyone will practice religion differently (or not practice it at all).
With paganism, there is no *right* way of doing magik, using herbs or stones, castings spells, etc. It will be unique to everyone.

Agreed, but I still think a person needs to start some where with it. And some times, having a correspondence given to them simply is a good place to start. Once a person gets comfortable, they branch out. They try new things and slowly begin to build on a person practice for magic. But whatever tradition you start in, there are some things that are generally accepted and encouraged and these methods will help an individual come to find what works for them. Better than them trying to start from scratch, say none of it works, and just give up.

The biggest thing is that we need to watch how we word things, and how we interpret them; we have to avoid portraying information as the "aboslute" way of doing something, unless it's trad specific. If a person is ismply going to invent from scratch, why would they even bother seeking out that trad in the first place? Colours, herbs, stones, etc. get listed as corresponding to certain elements, types of magical works, etc. usually because they're the most commonly tried and true; it's like the elemental compas points in so many trads being Earth for North, Air for East, Fire for South, and Water for West.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 am
iolitefire

It still depends on which branch of Paganism you're going with. Because there are some religions within paganism in which you have to do magic one specific way or it won't turn out. Assuming that everything can be done your own way is just as silly as assuming that you can throw out every single moral code involved with your religion and replace them with your own. Without some of those rules and morals can you really call it the religion that it is? You might as well rename it and create a cult of your own.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 am
We are not refering to chosing a religon and following it rules, we mean when you go to a store and say oh well this says burning this special fairy oil will give me good luck. Its clearly just scented oil that you could get anywher else for much cheaper. However people buy it because it has a fancy lable.  

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

iolitefire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:34 pm
.Curiously.Fruity.
iolitefire

It still depends on which branch of Paganism you're going with. Because there are some religions within paganism in which you have to do magic one specific way or it won't turn out. Assuming that everything can be done your own way is just as silly as assuming that you can throw out every single moral code involved with your religion and replace them with your own. Without some of those rules and morals can you really call it the religion that it is? You might as well rename it and create a cult of your own.

And that is what most organized pagan religions sre, cults. Many of these "religions" stress certain moral codes or beliefs that everyone should follow, even those not in the religion itself. If your part of a specific religion that requires magic to be done in a certain way, fine. Just don't assume or force me to do the same thing, too.
Also, I'm not much for cults. I just believe that people should think for themselves when it comes to religious beliefs. People will also work within a religion to make it suit themselves. Thats how religions evolve and change. And all religions go through this, its human nature to do such things.
People should never be trapped in a religion. They should always be allowed to question why those morals are they way they are. If the religious authority can't handle such questioning, then they should perhaps rethink the way the religion is organized.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:24 pm
SiegeDragomon
We are not refering to chosing a religon and following it rules, we mean when you go to a store and say oh well this says burning this special fairy oil will give me good luck. Its clearly just scented oil that you could get anywher else for much cheaper. However people buy it because it has a fancy lable.

You brought up stones, and those do have a role to play in various trads and they have specific correspondences, much like the ones you have listed. The correspondences are listed in a "most commonly used for" sense, and to help a novice find what they're looking for quickly. And books full of love spells or curses; Pagans don't usually buy these things unless it's as a joke, or because they're new and honestly don't know enough to know they're simply gimmicks. And, actually, there are certain oils that do get associated with the fae and it gets burned as an offering. The marketing simply relies on ignorance.

Dabblers buy those kinds of products. I've worked int hat kind of an environment, and you can spot them the minute they walk through the door. A good shop, however, is going to help guide them towards a better product. Lucky fairy oil is usually giftware for nonPagan family and friends.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas