Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: On No, They Didn't!! :: Things You Don't Like About Shojo Beat :.
Ten things I hate about Nana Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Agree or want me to shut up?
  Agree!
  Shaddup!
  GOLD!
View Results

sara-ane

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:16 pm
(in no order)
1. It's mostly about girls. I AM a girl I want to look at GUYS not girls!
2. I didn't like the main character straight off. If I found out I was dating a married man I would KILL the guy and send his sausage to the wife with an explaination. I would NOT pine after the B-tard
3. I don't like music manga, never have.
4. I'm not too fond of art manga either.
5. Too much sleeping around! One would think that the little idiot would have learned her lesson after she found out about the married man!
6. BOTH NANAs are bad examples. I teach kids and some of my FOURTH GRADERS like the manga.
7. The art just isn't my style. I like softer lines.
8. With very few exceptions, real life mangas just aren't my thing.
9. It doesn't seem to have a clear plot.
10. Everyone else I know likes it! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:36 am
It's the parents responsibility to make sure they know what their fourth grader is reading.  

PrinceElly
Crew

nativehoney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:54 pm
you really hurt my feelings emo Nanas the best! twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 pm
I enjoy reading it. I think the characters are like people I've known in my life (I had a ditzy friend who slept around--who hasn't known someone like that?) so I think the female characterizations are pretty true.

I think a lot of manga readers expect all the heroines in manga to be strong, independent, role models, and all that crap. I don't think they all have to be. In fact, manga would be really boring if they all were.  

hana211

PyroGothica

4,675 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm
crying crying crying i am going to cry now so just leave me in my pitty crying  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:18 pm
I dont know. At one point I decided I should look into it, but then I decided not to. pirate  

RoboSquee5000

Clean Genius

3,450 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Millionaire 200

Shadow Queen Megami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:16 am
Nana is one of the best seires in the Shojo Beat! IF YOU JUST WANT TO SEE GUYS THEN GET SHOUNEN JUMP NOT SHOJO BEAT!! AND FOR PETE SAKES! THERE ARE GUYS IN NANA! HEELLLLOOOO!! REN, TAKUMI, NOBU, SHIN, AND ALMOST ALL THE OTHER BAND MEMBERS ARE GUYS!!! *calms down* besides, just about everysingle shojo beat manga has a girl for the main character as well as a guy main character.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:02 pm
i think she is a prep....  

[memory_keeper]

leeannen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:05 pm
How could you not love nana, idk, maybe its just me, I love NANA and Sensual Phrase so im a sucker for stories like that,hehe. But yeah i LOVE NANA so much, its my fave, but i do think hachiko is kind of dumb.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 pm
Typically, my favorite series are not ones that revolve around romance. However, I never really thought NANA was about romance. To me it is about 2 girls with the same name, whose destinies become intertwined and their lives together as friends and their trials and tribulations. Although, I am a huge fan of music manga and slice-of-life manga. So, just because NANA isn't for you, doesn't make it not a great series. Also, not everyone is as smart as you might think. A lot of people take a lot to get through love, let alone life. The fact that Hachi has relationship troubles and falls in love with every guy she meets is realistic. There really are people like that in the world.

Also, I've never met a fourth grader who even knows what manga is.....O.O That is surprising. But, I don't think either Nana is supposed to really be a role model. They're just your average college girls. Not the next Hilary Clinton or other random women's figure. That's why the manga is so great is because the reality of it.  

Not a Jellyfish

Dapper Fatcat

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

Sweena101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:48 pm
everything you said is true and hachi is a ditz but the other nana is cool
and there are alot of guys the nana's, junko, and trapnests lead singer are the only girls

and music manga rocks like SENSUAL PHRASE is my FAV manga along with hana-kimi but still  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:52 pm
I gotta agree, i dun like nana all that much.

simply because it just didn't click with me, you know how mangas just "Click"  

KindledIiwi

Mira_Russ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm
Whoa, I think there was a lot of hostility towards the first post, and I'll admit I enjoy reading manga, but I think sara-ane makes several good points. I too was annoyed that Hachi didn't seem to be upset about the fact that the guy she was dating was engaged/married. And even if Hachi's ditzy, ditzy doesn't necessarily need to correlate with "slut." I think Hachi sleeps around a little too much. Regardless of that, though, I do like the fact that, as Not a Jellyfish put it, the girls' "destinies become intertwined..." I know a lot of people like this manga and from what I know, Nana is the most popular shojo manga in Japan currently, but I also think that there are better reads out there.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:01 pm

.: ♫ :: 永遠を夢見てた安保頃の僕らはいつまでも離れずに抱き合って笑ってた

Nana is my personal Favorite Manga.
I know girls and guys like every character,
like in Hachi's case there are a lot of girls who have sex because they think that will make men love them, and I have a friend who went with a married guy, she knew he was married but did it anyway.

Have dreamed of eternity I of security time forever without leaving, to hold, you have laughed :: ♫ :.

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

sakara maxter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 pm
Mira_Russ
Whoa, I think there was a lot of hostility towards the first post, and I'll admit I enjoy reading manga, but I think sara-ane makes several good points. I too was annoyed that Hachi didn't seem to be upset about the fact that the guy she was dating was engaged/married. And even if Hachi's ditzy, ditzy doesn't necessarily need to correlate with "slut." I think Hachi sleeps around a little too much. Regardless of that, though, I do like the fact that, as Not a Jellyfish put it, the girls' "destinies become intertwined..." I know a lot of people like this manga and from what I know, Nana is the most popular shojo manga in Japan currently, but I also think that there are better reads out there.
while i agree that Hachi is a ditz i also have to stand up for her. i believe she was just too stunned to understand what just happened to her. keep in mind that she really has no experience with men in her life being that she has sisters. so far we know nothing of the father.... so for Hachi... it may be all she's known.

and as for that... a bit of personal reason to stand up to it. I have never had that great best friend like hachi has. the manga is about a pair of girls with only their names in common and how they share the bond of friendship. and honestly,... at some points it does seem yuri... but think of your best friend in the entire world... wouldn't you act that way with your bud? they act almost as sisters...
I've also been compared to Hachi... not because of the sleeping around... but personality wise. It's hard to explain but a lot of our reactions match with each situation...

However i respect any opinion on the series...  
.: On No, They Didn't!! :: Things You Don't Like About Shojo Beat :.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games