Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The admins have stooped lower than usual.......... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Radio Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:56 am
In the new guild spotlight, the word "D'oh" is at the end of the description. D'oh?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:01 am
It's an "endearing" phrase used by Homer.  

Sighren

Frankly Frankie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:23 pm
D'oh I forgot my donut. -grabs donut and bites-

Yeah. I'm never saying that again... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:24 pm
IlianaRodriguez
D'oh I forgot my donut. -grabs donut and bites-

Yeah. I'm never saying that again... sweatdrop

Lol. Oh, excuse me. I meant to say,"Now that tickels my funny bone!"
razz  

Amaya84

SarahT3hPixieV2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:33 pm
A phrase used in the Simpsons....a lot of people I know use that word. It isn't proper English, but hey, what can you do? Yes, I know I ended that sentance in a preposition.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:38 pm
At least it's not as bad as this phrase:

Quote:
Congratulations, a winner is you.

Seriously, what living soul or gaming entity uses that old-school phrase nowadays? confused That is so 8-bit, not to mention really strange to the lot of you. neutral  

Natsuri

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:30 pm
Natsuri

Quote:

Seriously, what living soul or gaming entity uses that old-school phrase nowadays? confused That is so 8-bit, not to mention really strange to the lot of you. neutral

I do.

But I'm lame like that, I guess.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:25 pm
The Simpsons isn't even funny anymore. It's time to give the phrase a rest.  

Spiritually

Palundrium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:50 pm
Armelle_Nebett
A phrase used in the Simpsons....a lot of people I know use that word. It isn't proper English, but hey, what can you do? Yes, I know I ended that sentance in a preposition.

I don't know... it's in the dictionary apparently. At least the Webster's Millennium Dictionary of English, the Macmillan Dictionary for Advanced Learners and the Oxford English Dictionary.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:16 pm
Palundrium
Armelle_Nebett

I don't know... it's in the dictionary apparently. At least the Webster's Millennium Dictionary of English, the Macmillan Dictionary for Advanced Learners and the Oxford English Dictionary.
My god. Is it really? That is the most insane thing I have ever heard. You might as well just put Homer Simpson on the dollar bill.  

EMOSWAK

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:24 pm
EMOSWAK
Palundrium
Armelle_Nebett

My god. Is it really? That is the most insane thing I have ever heard. You might as well just put Homer Simpson on the dollar bill.

Of course. Those are totally comparable.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 pm
How bout this?

Happy 4th anniversary!
Big thanks to out users, without them, Gaia won't be as l33t as it is now.

One of the mods posted this...the sweet irony. Gaia is crawling with l33t now.  

Niccea Majeare

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 pm
Natsuri

Quote:

"ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US."

xD -headdesk- Well, I think it's slightly amusing, though I do go to a rather geeky school... sweatdrop

As for "D'oh," I, for one, dislike The Simpsons (as I tremble in fear at the flames I shall receive), so I don't like this word at all. Not to mention, it begs that we add things like "dude" to this. While "dude" is amusing to say, and most people do think it's a word, it's not grammar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm
"D'oh" is quite fitting for Homer since he's the embodiment of our cultural ignorance and laziness.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

`H A R U H I

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:22 pm
I'm pretty sure "D'oh" is from The Simpsons.
Correct me if I am incorrect.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces