Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Please stop! Just stop! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hirashio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am
Deleted.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:21 pm
Deleted.  

Hirashio

Hirashio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:29 pm
Deleted.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:57 pm
I don't understand people that take these words so seriously. But then again, I rarely use them myself. I don't take any personal offense if someone uses gay, or blonde, or fat, or whatever. I understand though that it does sometimes lead to a negative stereotypical image of a group, or at least does nothing to delete a negative stereotype.

Edit: And the edit button is there for a reason..

ljosberinn

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:25 pm
I don't give a s**t about political correctness. I am free to call s**t retarded, gay, or whatever I wish.

And the racial comparison doesn't work on me. A s**c is a s**c and a ******'s a ******. I don't apply them unconditionally like a truly racist person would, but the words do have their use.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:41 pm
The Man who was Thursday
I don't give a s**t about political correctness. I am free to call s**t retarded, gay, or whatever I wish.

And the racial comparison doesn't work on me. A s**c is a s**c and a ******'s a ******. I don't apply them unconditionally like a truly racist person would, but the words do have their use.

Another shining example of why this country and it's mainstream society is in such a downward spiral. Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to be mean, just because you can. And common courtesy to your fellow human should dictate these words not even exist.  

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:43 pm
Hirashio
I have read over and over again, people using the negative slang word 'Retard' and also adding not so cute add ons such as: 'Gaytard' and 'Megatard'. I don't like that word. I don't like using that word. I think it degrades the person who uses that word and who thinks it's funny to call people that word.

My mother is mentally challenged, and I have grown up hearing people refer to her as a 'retard' and many other things. Please, for the love of all that is good and kind, please stop using that word! It's not a nice word. It's like calling someone who's black, or African American, a ******. Or calling a Spanish person a s**c. Please, stop!

Quote:
re·tard /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object)
2. to be delayed.
–noun
3. a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
4. Slang: Disparaging.
a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with such incredible ignorance on a daily basis.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:55 pm
Queen of the Blue Twins
The Man who was Thursday

Another shining example of why this country and it's mainstream society is in such a downward spiral. Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to be mean, just because you can. And common courtesy to your fellow human should dictate these words not even exist.

Actually, that's exactly what freedom of speech grants me. And so much more.  

The Man who was Thursday

LucindraBee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:05 pm
We had a discussion on this in the classroom after an assembly. And one of the kids made some good sense.

"I mean... it's bad and all but people aren't just gonna stop. It's been around us all our lives. From the very beginning... you know?"

I would love if people stopped using such words but The Freedom of Speech and our culture allows us to use such things. I'm against them whole heartedly but we can't stop them from saying it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 pm
Freedom of speech granting it does not by any way make it anymore right. Just because it is allowed it does not mean that it makes sense to do it. If shooting anyone you wanted to became legal tomorrow, does shooting all your foes become correct? In any fashion?  

Gilco

sdfghjklsdfghjskldfghjkls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:59 pm
When I worked at the local "special recreation" affiliation as a camp counselor... I was told to refer to the campers as "people with disabilities."
However, that's a bit too much of a mouthful.
Instead, I use a word borrowed from www.tard-blog.com...
I call them "ree-tees"  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 pm
Calling people names is mean. I guess some folks feel the need to do it. The word ****** offends me terribly. It means a lazy person, but most people who use the term don't use it in that respect. I try not to label folks. But hey, I'm a hippie, and don't mind that label. I get called freak. I just smile. Name calling, as in doing so in a demeaning way is uncalled for and I think just shows people how ignorant they really are.  

hippiepoet1964

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 pm
Gilco
Freedom of speech granting it does not by any way make it anymore right. Just because it is allowed it does not mean that it makes sense to do it. If shooting anyone you wanted to became legal tomorrow, does shooting all your foes become correct? In any fashion?

Who judges what is correct and what is not? By my moral standards, it is impossible to do wrong with mere words.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:54 pm
Words can cut people like a knife and can be more painful than any physical injury. That is the point we are trying to make.
Just because you are free to say whatever you wish doesn't mean its right or honorable to say what you want if it hurts an individual.  

Lacus_And_Kira

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:09 pm
Lacus_And_Kira
Words can cut people like a knife and can be more painful than any physical injury. That is the point we are trying to make.
Just because you are free to say whatever you wish doesn't mean its right or honorable to say what you want if it hurts an individual.

Such people are weak and probably deserve their pain. If you let words hurt you, you are not cut out for the world.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff