complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 pm
No, not Bella's first impression of Edward, or vice versa. Your first impressions of the book(s) - Twilight and New Moon! biggrin

I know we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, but I want to know exactly that. What did you think Twilight was about? Did you think it would be good? Same for New Moon (if you didn't read Twilight first). And did you know New Moon was the sequel to Twilight ? Hey, some people didn't >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm
When I first saw Twilight, I actually thought it was a retelling of Snow White. I mean...an apple, right? You can't really blame me sweatdrop

I knew New Moon was the sequel to Twilight, but only because they were side-by-side in Chapters, and they had such similar cover art.

New Moon's tulip cover attracted me first. Then I noticed Twilight, and realized it was book one. I didn't know the book was about vampires, or that I'd become crazily obsessed with it. That's why I borrowed Twilight from the library first, before buying New Moon and then the Twilight paperback.

Even when I read the inside flap of the book (for some reason I didn't check the back of the book. If I saw that famous quote (which, incidentally, Stephenie says she hates now) I would have for sure known Twilight was about vampires) I had the impression it was about something else. The preface strengthened my initial conclusion. But by about the end of chapter one, I knew Twilight was something special ^^

Yeah, and then the vampire conclusion didn't come until about the same time Bella learned about it.  

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

hey774

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:49 am
My friend read both before me, so I knew they were going to be good. ^^
I knew New Moon was going to be a sequel to Twilight, so no real surprise there. With Twilight, my friend wouldn't stop talking about it with another friend that was reading it, so, because I love to read, and because I had to know what they were talking about, I read the book, and became as obsessed as they were. xD  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:11 am
Well when Twilight first came out I heard it was a really good book so I thought I would finish the book I was reading and then read Twilight. so I went out and bouht Twilight. I didn't get to read it intill a few weeks later when we were testing in school. Not a smart idea I may add to read a really good book during test because well I did bad on the test because I wanted to read my book so bad. Then I don't remember how I found out about New Moon (I think I went on her website) but I went the day it came out to Borders to buy it but the didn't even order any yet . crying Then I pre-ordered it so it came in about a week later (that was one very long week).
So thats my story.

x_Silver Sharpie Addict_x

chelsea smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:06 pm
Around... November or December, I saw one of my friends with Twilight.. and I looked at the cover and it seemed really familiar. I asked her what it was about, but she just told me to read it since it was 'too hard to explain'. So I borrowed the book from the library.. and once I started reading it I got hooked. I mean, this has to be one of my favorite books ever.. it's so obsessing, even the first chapters pull you right in. I read it in about 3 days. Then I read New Moon, and just like Twilight, I couldn't stop reading. :] I love the series, and I really want Eclispe to come out soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:19 pm
Like I said before, I'd seen Twilight around the whole first year it was released, but never took much interest. There were a lot of decent or pretty covers floating around bookstores, but I learned not to go crazy over a book just because its cover was gorgeous. I did look at the back, though, and it was probably the reason I didn't pay much attention. Sounded like a cliche love story. How naive of me...

I picked it up later, of course, loved it, and since it was paperback, I knew New Moon was the sequel. What I didn't know was how beautiful the cover was! I agree with Stephenie that it really is just an "all looks" cover with no symbolism, and prefer Twilight's, but you can't help liking the ruffled tulip
♥  

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 pm
3nodding Even before you know it's a ruffled tulip, it's looks like a white flower dripping with blood...

Very visually appealing!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:33 pm
At first when I saw the apple in the hands I was only faintly intrigued but as soon as I read the back I was hooked forever more!!! xd xd *Sqweeeeeeeeee*  

perpetual_insanity_1213

lost_smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:30 pm
Well I didn't see the book first my friend was reading it and I asked her what books she had been reading latly and she told me about it and I thought that it sounded good so after she checked it back into the library I checked it out. And I thought the cover was really pretty.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:01 pm
Yay for the powers of visual merchandising! I wonder how many people would never have picked up the books if not for the covers...  

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

Ligerlilly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 am
I like apples!!!!!!!!!! Also.. before I read the book... my friend preached to all of us about this book... so I read it and fell in love as soon as I read "vampire" on the back!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:30 pm
I fell in love on first sight. I love the cover art, the fruit looked forbidden, like it was being offered but you weren't supposed to take it. IT intrigued me!  

rhapsodyscacophony

Octopi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 pm
my sis's friend read them and was begging her to read them so I thought, Hell, why don't I read them too! and by the first chapter I was hooked.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:37 pm
I thought that it was going to be stupid at first. I had seen and heard of it plenty of times but it wasn't until one day in book club I was talking about it to this one girl that I started reading Twilight. And after that I was just hooked and I just read New Moon not caring about the cover.

-sorry if I rambled  

Arriana_lynn

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:51 pm
Yeah, there's always a conflict in interests:

1. On one hand, you want everyone to know how good a book Twilight is, but
2. When you're one of a lot of people who like a book, it kinda loses its credibility (because "commercial" books are no good).  
Twilight-Related Fanart

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff