Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Howl's Moving Castle Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SixteenthNote

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 am
It's now in anime, I think. This book is written by Diana Wynne Jones and it's really good if you enjoy action and suspense. She's written quite a number or books. I recommend Black Maria (for those who think their aunts are weird) and also Witch Week.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
It has indeed been made into anime by that magnificent producer, Hayao Miyazaki. The anime is quite different from the book, but is still good.
The book itself is also really good, as well as being quite funny. I love her work. The sequel wasn't as good, though.  

Amphion

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 am
I loved the book, and I thought the anime was really sweet. Miyazaki brought the characters to life (kind of... :/).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:34 am
Amphion- Yes, the second book was quite dissapointing but it was still alright. I haven't seen the anime yet. eek Is it alright?  

SixteenthNote

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:27 pm
Miyazaki did a wonderful job. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:36 pm
I thought the anime was wonderful. I've never read the books. But I have some free time, so I think I'll pick those up. :writes down name of author:  

ChinoikeJigoku

poggles

Sparkly Fairy

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:05 pm
I -love- Diana Wynne Jones.

I read the sequel to this book first...the first one is so much better razz I loved both though.

Interestingly, the two other books you suggested are among the only ones by this author that I haven't read.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:25 am
I saw the animated movie before I read the book, and I don't know if that skewed me, but I definitely enjoyed the film more than the book. Not that Jones isn't a good writer, but I got lost easily during the book. Plus, Miyazaki has such talent for bringing characters to life. Sophie seemed so much more alive in the animated version... but that's just my opinion. wink  

Mira_Russ

GameNeko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:54 pm
If you're interested in Diana Wynne Jones, the first books I ever picked up by her were the Chronicles of Chrestomanci (I think that I spelled that correctly..), and they were an instant hit with me years ago, and I still love them today.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 pm
SixteenthNote
Amphion- Yes, the second book was quite dissapointing but it was still alright. I haven't seen the anime yet. eek Is it alright?

It's...different. I quite enjoyed it, but the plots are very different. Each is good in its own way. There are some very powerful and disturbing scenes in the anime, but they're balanced by some very humorous moments. (The moving castle is on chicken feet...) They're both good.  

Amphion

SixteenthNote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 am
Poggles- A fellow fan! You should really read those books (espeacially Black Maria) if you're interested in magic and weird aunts who are witches.

Neko- Yes, another fan! I still love the 'Lives of Christopher Chant'. I'm having touble collecting the other books though. They don't sell them in stores anymore...

Amphion- Hm... I really have to get it then! Thank you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 am
SixteenthNote
Poggles- A fellow fan! You should really read those books (espeacially Black Maria) if you're interested in magic and weird aunts who are witches.

Neko- Yes, another fan! I still love the 'Lives of Christopher Chant'. I'm having touble collecting the other books though. They don't sell them in stores anymore...

Amphion- Hm... I really have to get it then! Thank you. 3nodding

I loved 'Lives of Christopher Chant'.

I've been looking for any and all books by Diana Wynne Jones that I haven't read yet, but I'm having trouble finding Black Maria anywhere... If I see it I will get it though. whee  

poggles

Sparkly Fairy

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Friendly 100

CristoVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:09 pm
It's my favorite anime movie. Miyazaki is not only one of the best storytellers, he gets the perfect voiceactors so the English doesn't sound like cows with asthma. He portrayed the story in an unbelievable manner.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:17 pm
I liked both versions of Howl's Moving castle (anime and book), but I was very disappointed with Diana Wynne Jones' sequel to it. I wish it had been half as good as the first book. Oh well, Howl's Moving Castle is wonderful all by itself.  

hmlanden

bakuretsuai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:14 pm
I only saw the anime and didn't find out that there was a book until a while ago. But I'm going to e-bay it soon. And for those that haven't seen the anime, go. Go find it now. It's beautifully done. The American voice actors did a bang up job and if people say the book is better, I know I'm in for a real treat. It's not your average tale, but still keeps that feel-good ending. Enjoy!  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff