Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Who Loves Lace? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:39 pm
I was looking over my to-knit list today and I realized something - it's almost all lace! Shawls, scarves, the occassional sweater, it's lace all the time at Casa del Ovaci. Are there any other knitters (or other crafters) out here who have a passion for lace? Tell us your favorite pattern! Do you like solid colors, semi-solids or variegated? What are some of your favorite designers, or design elements? Let's talk lace!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 pm
I tried lace once, and im really bad at it sweatdrop I suppose it takes a lot of practice. I'm more of a cable and color girl myself. I love the look of lace, but i hate the way it turns out for me sweatdrop  

gemini6184

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 pm
I hear yah...even when I try a simple lace pattern....I always end up with 1. the wrong number of stitches and 2. yo's in the wrong spots  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:52 pm
The only lacework I've done are the Perdita bracelets on Knitty. sweatdrop  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:54 pm
Peppermint Elf
The only lacework I've done are the Perdita bracelets on Knitty. sweatdrop

Those are beautiful! I need to find something similiar for crachet work. I need to get better at crochet period...

But it looks like I"ll be moving to Cleaveland soon for about 3 months- don't know anyone there, so it'll be craft banaza to fill non work time. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:15 pm
I haven't really done too much lace, but I am really starting to get into it. Hopefully I'll get better and be able to do more complicated patterns.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 am
Hi, my name is ForestGreen and I'm addicted to crocheted lace. I used to make doilies just because I like making them. I made lace gloves just to see if I could do it. I thought I was controling my lace addiction until I realized that I'm trying to make a lacy pattern masculine so it can be a dice bag for a dungeons and dragons fan. rofl

I usually work in bedspread cotton and almost always solid colors when I make lace. Between other projects, I'm working on perfecting my filet crochet. I find that I usually make my double crochet stitches too short for proper filet lace.
I don't have a favorite lace pattern, but I dislike the pineapple patterns for some reason.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 am
ForestGreen
Hi, my name is ForestGreen and I'm addicted to crocheted lace. I used to make doilies just because I like making them. I made lace gloves just to see if I could do it. I thought I was controling my lace addiction until I realized that I'm trying to make a lacy pattern masculine so it can be a dice bag for a dungeons and dragons fan. rofl

I usually work in bedspread cotton and almost always solid colors when I make lace. Between other projects, I'm working on perfecting my filet crochet. I find that I usually make my double crochet stitches too short for proper filet lace.
I don't have a favorite lace pattern, but I dislike the pineapple patterns for some reason.

Patterns? links to patterns? Tips? Anything?!?!  

Silver Mist

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm
I haven't really given lace much of a try, yet. It's just not high on my to-do list.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:13 pm
pineapple lace motifs

pineapple lace doily: http://barbscraftbooks.tripod.com/barbscrochet/id37.html

How to construct the motif: http://crochet.about.com/od/learncrochet/ht/htpineapple.htm

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/may9.html

I don't really know why I don't like this motif. Traditionally pineapples are a symbol used to welcome someone into their home. It's also one of the best known crocheted lace motifs, I don't seem to be able to pick up a crochet magazine that doesn't have a pineapple motif somewhere in it. I've seen it used for tablecloths, doilies, placemats, coasters, afghans, rugs, you name it. if you Google "crochet pineapple" without the quotes you will get plenty of hits.
If you didn't want links to the pineapple motifs you should clarify which of the things in my post you wanted information about.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:43 pm
I have some lace-weight and a knit lace pattern...

I would like to get started on making a couple lace scarves, but i don't have the patience... esspecially since i can't get the slip-slip-knit stitch to work right on the little yarn.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:44 am
ForestGreen
pineapple lace motifs

pineapple lace doily: http://barbscraftbooks.tripod.com/barbscrochet/id37.html

How to construct the motif: http://crochet.about.com/od/learncrochet/ht/htpineapple.htm

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/may9.html

I don't really know why I don't like this motif. Traditionally pineapples are a symbol used to welcome someone into their home. It's also one of the best known crocheted lace motifs, I don't seem to be able to pick up a crochet magazine that doesn't have a pineapple motif somewhere in it. I've seen it used for tablecloths, doilies, placemats, coasters, afghans, rugs, you name it. if you Google "crochet pineapple" without the quotes you will get plenty of hits.
If you didn't want links to the pineapple motifs you should clarify which of the things in my post you wanted information about.

lol. Sorry. I got so excited by the mention of crochet lace (as everyone was spewing about knitted lace), I missed the whole last sentence about pineapple motifs. I was just curious about links to making crocheted lace, period. Thank you!  

Silver Mist

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:30 am
kochi~mochi
I have some lace-weight and a knit lace pattern...

I would like to get started on making a couple lace scarves, but i don't have the patience... esspecially since i can't get the slip-slip-knit stitch to work right on the little yarn.

If you're having trouble with ssk, try knitting two together through the back loop. Insert the R needle through both stitches (purlwise, but with the tip coming out the wrong side of the work), wrap and pull through. Tada! Left-leaning decrease!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:12 pm
Silver Mist

lol. Sorry. I got so excited by the mention of crochet lace (as everyone was spewing about knitted lace), I missed the whole last sentence about pineapple motifs. I was just curious about links to making crocheted lace, period. Thank you!

Don't worry about it, I've done it too. I love edgings, insertions, doilies, filet lace, etc. I haven't been brave enough to try Irish crochet, but I've played with broomstick lace and I can't wait to get a loom and try hairpin lace.
Libraries are a good place to look for books, the bigger the library, the more likely it will be to have pattern books. I suggest checking out doilies and edgings first, just to get a feel for which lace patterns you like best. Lace patterns are used in tablecloths, luncheon sets, bookmarks, some coasters, doilies of course, table runners, dresser scarves, shawls, bedspreads, afghans, and kerchiefs, just to name a few items.
http://www.calmingseas.com/ has links to lots of patterns all over the web. You can google any of the terms in italics + crochet (ie. crochet luncheon sets) and find plenty of links. I got kind of lucky and had a stash of old needlework magazines given to me. Some of them are from the 1950's and have plenty of lace household items like tablecloths and doilies. Quite frequently lacey squares, rounds, or hexigons were used to make the larger items like bedspreads or tablecloths. I have often seen the same motif or square used to make different items.
I hope this is better information for you Silver Mist.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas