Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Is there anyone here NOT christian> o_O; Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 pm
Now, this has got to be one of my most offensive posts I have ever made, and even then I'm such a wuss I am going to apologize in advance for I hate not getting along with others, and since I have always been a good little girl on gaia I've not once been flamed nor do I wish to be flamed.

sweatdrop

Now, here's my little rant. n__n;

I have noticed that a majority of people in this guild are christian. Hey, no skin off my back, I don't care what people believe in. There are all different kinds of religion out there. BUT, it's strange how many people in this guild have been very agitated with the fact that people relate goth to satanism, and every one gets on their high horse about that link because they are christians, but other christians (i.e. the whole 'God hates goth', 'parents against goths!' thing) are against them.

I have noticed since I have gotten older that I am beginning to hate christianity more and more, and I can't deny it. I try to be open minded and civil towards the whole concept of christianity, but I have always instinctively and naturally always turned my back against it, and it is the only religion (asides Islam...i think...) that makes me really want to spit. I'm quite a relaxed person, but even the thought of God makes me tense put and throw out a fist (which usually ends in my best friends face by accident o_O; ). I have no idea why I do, although I think it must come from the nurture of my father. Even though my mum and dad separated when I was young, I have always been closer to my dad (although I live with my mum), and my dad is not a satanist, but is, however, obsessed with anything to do with the devil. He will have ANYTHING with SATAN or DEVIL labelled on it. I am probably 90% like my dad (the 10% being I'm a girl xD) and I dunno...maybe that's got something to do with it, because I to am in love anything dark and involves satan.

Blah, I happen to be rambling again. Anyways, yes. I have always felt like an anti-christ. I have tried to say I'm an athiest, but I just cannot deny that feeling of pure demonic hatred I have whenever God is mentioned. If I were truly an atheist, it wouldn't bother me. So I don't know myself why it bothers me so.

Another ingredient to it could be that I come from Scotland. You see, I have heard so many stories out in america. Freedom of speech? Where the ******** did that go if you're not christian?? If you're a jew out in america, boy are you in trouble! Even bisexuals are too scared to come out because all of their family is christian. And these are all stories I've been told by friends. Over in Scotland, even in school, we have a multicultural policy. It is mainly to tackle any racism that happens within school, but it also means that people get their own veiw and beliefs without people preaching about God every sunday to them. Since I always have grown up in the open-minded multicultural environment, I certainly have developed my own beliefs, and hell, even the other day our English teacher asked randomly 'Who believes in god?' and there were only one or two who put their hands up. She then asked 'Why is that?' and many people replied that it was because they were either unsure or just did not believe in it at all. Does anybody give a monkey's backside out here? Nope. None. Christian, Jew, Atheist, whatever. In scotland, there is NO ONE better than the other.

Anyways, getting to the point (if anyone has actually bothered to read thus far), I wanted to know if there were others who possibly felt the same way, the whole feeling of being an Anti-christ outcast, or if I am truly just a very sad strange ginger lesbian with no life than to share problems with others across the pond. gonk

Oh, and FYI, before I get shouted at, I do not mean I hate CHRISTIANS becuase I am friends with a couple. I just don't like Christianity.

-gasps for breath-[/rant]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:40 pm
Well if people would come to realize that goths have a free range of religious choices, then I suppose it would no longer be a problem to consider yourself Satanist or Atheist.
But since there are people who think "OOH YOU MUST WORSHIP THE DEVIL" at any goth, I believe that quite a few of us have retreated from having anything to do with either Satanism or Atheism. So even if one does happen to be a fan of Ian Curtis, Peter Murphy, or Siouxsie Sioux, it can be ignored by other goths - as soon as you say that you're Satanist - who would possibly then call you a Mallcore.

However, this is just my theory - not fact.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

JustAnotherNancyBoy-x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 pm
I know what you mean...I was christian but became Neo-Pagan as they are slightly more open minded...I only began to hate christianity when I was told that I was going to hell for being bisexual...I mean, is it my fault I am attracted to males and females? Either way, my priest got mad and told me to 'stop my foolishness' and give up on the 'attention seeking' I was like, no that is just how I feel you wee wank...He went nuts...So I research neo paganism, and realised hopw well suited that religion was for me...But then, I cannot dissagree with others religions, everyone is free to believe what they want...Even if they are not traditionaly accepted into it...  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Don't worry. No one's going to flame you. whee

I have one question though. Is there, like, anything specific about it that makes you hate Christianity?

Other stuffs:

A.) The "God Hates Goths" things are fake. They're satire.

B.) It agitates me when people automatically relate Goth to Satanism because being Goth has nothing to do with religion in the first place. I'd like to be able to listen to my music, and openly admit that I can be considered Goth without someone telling me that I worship Satan, when I'm Catholic. (Which is odd, though. Isn't it true that Satanism has nothing to do with Satan at all?)

C.) Any Christian who tells you that you're going to hell is an idiot. Apparently they missed the basic teaching of, "Only God can judge." Honestly, they're best to be ignored, in my opinion.

D.) They're also just stories that you've heard. I'm not saying that they're lying; some people are like that, but it's not like our whole country is "LOL PEACE B WIT U!!!1" Actually, the majority of teenagers are either Atheist, Agnostic, or Satanist.  

x Socks x

-Isel-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:22 pm
Please try to think that most of these stories are matters of the individual, not the group.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm
I think a lot of people have already come up with some rather intelligent replies to why a lot of people tend to shy away from the auto-sterotyping of goth=satanist. I myself am an ecceltic pagan, so I'm not particuarly big on the practices of christianity. I think the principles are overall good, it's just something seems to get lost in the execuction.

As for freedoms and tolerances...it's really hard to say because of lot of people are tolerant, but a lot more people are closed minded overall. I personally keep myself well guarded by not speaking on the topic of religion in company that I don't trust, or my extended family. I suppose a lot of people want their children "to be good little chirstians" and don't always understand when a child doesn't become a mindless drone following their exact orders. Of course a lot of times there can end up being miscommunications on both sides of the argument leading people to believe the false accusations about goths...which turns into a rather nasty cycle overall.

And don't worry, you're thoughts and opinions were very well thought out, so I seriously doubt anyone would actually start flaming you for your personal feelings.... Riiiiiiiiiighhhhhttt? ninja  

lurichan
Vice Captain

lysseee

6,100 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm
*raises hand* non-christian here.

institutionalized religions are a no-no.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:47 pm
*raises hand*
proud pagan.  

Resurrekt

xdemonicallyxyours13x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:50 pm
proud pagan as well and I am supposed to be a Catholic...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:04 pm
pagan priest here....
and i have nothing agianst christainty...as a religion it's great...it's only when you involve human beings in it that things tend to get cluttered....
i've met too many christians who think too much about what they belive god said that they don't actually look at what he said IN CONTEXT  

ketchakik

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:31 pm
How many of these religion threads do we need?

Well, anyway, PAGAN PRIDE!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 pm
proud pagan as well.

and I personally feel exactly the same way. I don't like the christian religion, I don't mean I don't like christians, just not the religion.

I'm not close minded, I'm very openminded in fact, I just have had too much bad experience with christianity to love it at all.  

nightwing773

Plan-Galere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 pm
Proud Christian. I really don't care what you are, though. Even if you are an infidel.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:43 pm
eh...celtic pagan here. i was raised christian, but never really found it to be completely right, and saw alot of contradiction within the book, books to preaching, and historically, so i don't believe in it anymore. i started seeking more self oriented paths, and eventually found myself drawn to the religion of my ancestors after finding that it already suited my independantly developed beliefs.

oh, and my gods actually care about their people and will actually have conversations with and directly help us, so that's a plus.  

DR490N

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 pm
nightwing773
proud pagan as well.

and I personally feel exactly the same way. I don't like the christian religion, I don't mean I don't like christians, just not the religion.

I'm not close minded, I'm very openminded in fact, I just have had too much bad experience with christianity to love it at all.

Same here, I'm not a fan of the Christian religion, and I really don't like Christians who try to shove their religion down my throat, try to tell me or others that I'm evil, or try to ruin my life because of what I believe. I'm talking, of course, about the girl who stole my (now ex) boyfriend last year because she knew I was Pagan and she was convinced that I was evil and he needed to be saved.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff