Awwwwww Baby Goths Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:14 pm
Does anyone else find it worrying that some parents insist on dressing their baby up in goth apparel? Surely you should bring it up nuetral so its sense of self is unique and not something that is brought on by child hood. Also wouldn't a nuetral upbringing discourage rebellion where as being brought up as a goth would probably result in becomming the opposit in an attempt to rebel?

Ermm just a thought... lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm
I agree with what your saying here.
My all my nieces were brought up wearing those frou-frou girly dresses, but once they reached the age of four or five and started dressing themselves, they were already into the goth thing. (the hair dye and make-up they had to wait for though.)
It is only human nature to rebel against what you are comfortable with, and it is a part of growing up to test boundaries.  

absinthemourning

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 pm
I agree to a point, but when you are still dressing a child... they don't really know what they are wearing. Every baby in black I have seen has looked really bad.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 pm
Rellik San
Does anyone else find it worrying that some parents insist on dressing their baby up in goth apparel? Surely you should bring it up nuetral so its sense of self is unique and not something that is brought on by child hood. Also wouldn't a nuetral upbringing discourage rebellion where as being brought up as a goth would probably result in becomming the opposit in an attempt to rebel?

my son wants to dress like me  

ketchakik

tamachan414

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 pm
Rellik San

i think that a person should allow them to dress however their kids want to. i mean you should give them choices. If they have no free will they will make no choices of their own, and that'd be sad  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:51 pm
My youngest daughter turns 4 today, & I bought her some black dress up clothes that she picked out. She LOVES Jack Skellington, & Chucky, & can't get enough of the music she's always telling me to "...turn it up Mommy I wanna dance!" It doesn't matter how they are dressed, they all find their own style & uniqueness if they feel comfortable enough to explore it. I have always encouraged all 8 of my kids to "find themselves" in this mob of robots we call humanity. I have 5 girls & 3 boys, & all but the 4 yr old are teens or pre-teens, & each one has their own individual style. (& most of them are goth.)  

bansheemourning

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:03 am
I don't know. It really depends on the kid.

Children aren't passive or lacking in personality just because they're little. Some kids have really definite ideas of what they like... and what they want to wear.

Of course most children will want to imitate their parents. They learn by following the example of the adults around them. It's important to teach them that it's okay to have your own opinions and your own ways of doing things, but I don't see any harm in giving them velvety black stuff if they ask.

The only thing I've got a problem with is people who stuff their kids into costumes without wondering what the child really wants. If you dress your kid gothy and they hate it or think it's a bore, then yeah, they're likely to rebel.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:12 am
Veruniel
I don't know. It really depends on the kid.

Children aren't passive or lacking in personality just because they're little. Some kids have really definite ideas of what they like... and what they want to wear.

Of course most children will want to imitate their parents. They learn by following the example of the adults around them. It's important to teach them that it's okay to have your own opinions and your own ways of doing things, but I don't see any harm in giving them velvety black stuff if they ask.

The only thing I've got a problem with is people who stuff their kids into costumes without wondering what the child really wants. If you dress your kid gothy and they hate it or think it's a bore, then yeah, they're likely to rebel.

Well my point isn't with kids, who like to dress up and try different things, its with babies, and the very young.  

Rellik San
Crew

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 am
I don't even remember what my parents dressed me up as when I was a baby, so I don't see how that would really affect the way I am now.

The only problem I would have with parents dressing their young babies as "goths" is that if the baby is uncomfertable and cannot move as easily, it's bones and muscles will not grow properly. But I haven't really seen full on "goth" baby gear. Just those little black jumpers with Lenore or some Donnie Darko logo on it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:03 pm
There isn't a large baby goth market. I'm guessing how messy some babies and todlers are contributes to eradicate any desire to spend much money on nice clothes.  

Draydrigo

Practical Archenemy

14,275 Points
  • Team Devin 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Squash Stomper 75

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:10 pm
Draydrigo
There isn't a large baby goth market. I'm guessing how messy some babies and todlers are contributes to eradicate any desire to spend much money on nice clothes.

Too true. For little tiny babies, all I ever see is stuff like black shirts from T Shirt Hell. It's the older kids — seven and up — who can start getting miniature versions of goth gear.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:01 am
Parents should not bring up a child nuetral. A parent is a person who raises their child the way that they believe will be best for the child. If you're going to raise a child truly "neutral", then you have to tell them that everything is equal. It's not. Being a nazi is not an equal alternative to being a republican or democrat. Being a child molester is not an equal alternative to not.

If a parent thinks that raising their child as a goth is the best thing for the child, the parent should. It's that simple.  

GilAskan
Crew

nightwing773

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:01 am
I believe that every parent should rear their child with the normality standards till at least three or four, and then see what the child likes from there. I always loved nice frilly stuff, but it was always black. I can get very feminine, but I was always given boys clothes till I was twelve, and then I rebeled, and bought a bunch of beautifuly styles clothes, perfect and they would have been preppy if I had worn them normally, but I wore them differently, into a gothic motif. I still do dress that way, but I think it should be the childs choice, because personally, I hated the hell I had to go through to get those clothes and actually keep them.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff