Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting and planes; can they and do they mix? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Knitting needles are ....
  Dangerous! Metal DPNs are as bad as sub-machine guns!
  Dangerous! You know that you can garrotte people with circular kneedles
  Perfectly safe! Old ladies don't have the upper arm strength to stab anybody with them anyway...
  Safe! Can you see me, a sock knitter, do any damage to anyone?
View Results

Beboots

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 pm
I suppose it'd be too much to hope that someone else has been in the exact same situation as me, but I thought I'd ask regardless.

I get to go to Japan with about twenty people from my school for nearly two weeks around spring break this year. I'm a Canadian highschool student, for perspective, by the way.

Now, I know that the plane ride is well over fifteen hours long, not including the time spent flying to Vancouver international airport and the two hour stay we have there at that terminal. I'm going to be bringing along several books (cheap ones I can dispose of should I need more room in my suitcase for souvenirs) to read, plus my trusty iPod, but I would really like to bring my knitting. When I went to England last year, I didn't bring it and suffered for it on the way over. You can only read so many pages before the words start to blur before your eyes, your friends/family are only interesting for so long, and you eventually go deaf from turning up your music so loud as to cover the sound of the jet engines (particularly if your window seat overlooks the wing and the giant engines, as mine did). The solution for what I do when I feel stressed and my eyes ache? Knitting.

However, I know from personal experience that airport security is getting tougher. Does anybody know of anything that may be permitted on flights? I mean, wooden DPNs aren't any more dangerous than pencils (less so, 'cause you can't get lead poisoning), and aren't those allowed on?

Now, I'm not interested in fighting for my right to bring my knitting needles (or even crochet hooks) on the plane (I can see them having a point about metal needles), but I was wondering if anybody knew airport policy on stuff like this. I mean, what about a really blunt plastic crochet hook? (I could finish a hat, or a scarf, or something!) Best case would be to sneak some wooden DPNs on in a pencil case, but I really don't want to make a scene should I take it out mid-flight and we have to land in Hawaii 'cause I've been branded a terrorist.

(I will also take into consideration that airport policies change all the time, and not all airport security personnel screen the same way - the stories I've heard!)

Anyway...
Info? Links? Amusing/horrifying anecdotes?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:13 pm
Last year, there was an article in my local paper (Iowa, USA) that cleared up airplane myths. It was in May, I believe, and it said then that you CAN bring knitting needles on airplanes. Call your airline and make sure, though.  

ladyleprechaun13

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:42 pm
My Dads had many a thing confinscated, up to and including toe nail clippers (directly after 9/11 and in Ohio- not so terribly far from DC and suchness).

The airports seem to be becoming more logical now though. I would call your airport and ask their policy to be sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:01 pm
I would definatly call, and simply tell them that you are a knitter and looking for guidlines about what you can bring. Tell them what you'd like to bring and ask them about it.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Silvander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 pm
According to the Department of Homeland Security, you can take knitting needles.

Viewable HERE These, of course, are american regulations.

I looked up the Canadian Transportation website and it says you can take knitting needles past the check point. Viewable HERE in the first paragrash under 4.1.4.

So. Happy knitting 2, 000 miles above the earth lol  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:30 pm
Check, double check, and recheck again, then bring an envelope to send your needles home in just in case. Some of the security screeners are dumber than bricks and have about as much compassion. I wrote this and then realized that you're in Canada and probably won't be in the U.S. at all. (lucky)
I didn't have any trouble taking my crochet hooks to Canada, but we went by ferry not airplane and no one bothered to check my craft bag.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:54 pm
While the FAA does say that you can take knitting needles the final decision is up to security screeners. So, whenever I fly I take along spare string (so I can slip my work off the needles) and a SASE with postage to cover shipping my needles back home to myself. If security gives you a hard time just put your live stitches on the spare yarn and package up your needles. Your airline's check-in desk will ususally see to it that it is mailed for you. Of course this means you'll have to go through security a second time.

Just make sure you leave with plenty of time to go through security twice incase they do rule needles to be dangerous.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:38 pm
I have flown nearly a dozen times with knitting needles, and I have never once had a problem. Of course, I've never flown outside of my country, so things might be different for international flights.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 am
Last winter I spent the flights to and from Japan knitting a close to 8 foot scarf. I didn't have any trouble with my wooden needles. I'd bring wooden or bamboo needles, and a thing of dental floss to cut threads. (Because security is dumb and won't let you bring nail clippers.) I think the no knitting on planes ban that happened a few years ago caused an uproar from a demographic people didn't know existed.
Oh, and if you're really worried, wear a pink t-shirt, smile a lot and be extra polite. This usually convinces security that you're a harmless bubble brain.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:45 am
I have flown with my needles several times since 2001, even knitting in pubic with them. I use bamboo or plastic needles; and no one has ever had any qualms with those.

I haven;t flown internationally, though I would think the regulations are much the same. I also know that scisscors with pointed tips are not allowed but you can take small blunted kids scissors  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Kumiko21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:32 pm
this is good to know cuz i am going on a trip next week and I needed to find that out. I did check the Homland Security website to double check cuz sometimes they change things around and it is still allowed. In case you were wondering...meat cleavers are not allowed on the plane......just an FYI.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:26 pm
Alright, you guys are so helpful! ^_^ I'll call up someone from Air Canada in the next few weeks to ask (I don't trust websites for these matters; half the time they aren't up to date, etc.,etc.). The mailing it to yourself thing is a good idea as well.

Because you guys are so awesome, I'll share a story with you. I was sitting with several people (friends/colleagues/aquaintances of my father) at a dinner in the summer, and one of the men there was the manager of the Vancouver International Airport (now HE had some other hilarious stories to tell about stuff people try to pull; like the gentleman flying back down to Georgia who tried to convince them that his (still dripping) rack of moose antlers could be considered carry-on luggage (this thing was taller than the man himself), but I digress.). He actually had to fly to some place (Sri Lanka, or something) for buisness, but had to take several connecting flights. He brought his laptop along, and had no problems on the way there (despite stopping in at least four or five different airports in various countries), and had no problems getting back... until his last stop at the small Edmonton airport on his way over to Ontario. Suddenly, it was a big problem for him to have his laptop - the wires, you see, where dangerous. Now, he'd boarded however many flights in the last week (even one at that same airport!) and it hadn't been a problem. He was forced to mail the wire to himself. >_<; Just goes to show that what some agents view as dangerous other people don't...  

Beboots

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:20 am
I don't think you'll have a problem leaving the country, but I have heard recently of a woman who flew to Europe. She was allowed to bring her knitting to England, but when she flew back to the US, the confiscated her needles, and the half finished afgan attatched to them!

I guess I'd just have to agree with everyone else and say you need to call ahead to make sure they're allowed, both coming and going.

But these are also American airlines we're talking about. Canadian might be different.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am
~
I was flying air canada last week. They allow knitting needles, they allowed my sewing needles and stuff. I mean I even had my bags checked over because I am apparently suspicious (my cell charger is apparently bomb looking o.O ) and my crafting stuff was left alone.
Don't worry about it not to mention you've already been linked to the air regulation website that does say knitting needles are allowed. heart

~

Tes

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:05 am
I agree with everyone else. I flew from the US to Germany over the summer, but rather than risk it(because my parents were stupid and wouldn't let me try and take the needles as a carry-on) I put my needles in my suitcase. I'd recommend to set up in case you have to mail your needles home, and keep an extra set(if you have one) in your suitcase so that when you get there if you have to mail your needles you'll have an extra set so you can knit while you're there at least.
I just rambled on forever, so I hope that made sense...  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff