Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Gay" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kirb-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:17 pm
I know I say it, but you say "Oh, that's gay." like it's wrong, but it isn't. I'm not gay myself but, do support gay rights, and I know someone who is, and he said that he didn't tell anyone in real life. Probably because they would make fun of him for it. It's not their fault that they're gay, they grow like that.

Sorry if I say "they" a lot. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Mm, I know alot of gay people who it doesn't bother, I mean, a couple of them even do it themselves. I'm not predisposed to say it, ever, but if you do, it doesn't bother me.
(I'm Bi, for the record)  

GameNeko

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:40 pm
I don't. I kick people who do, when they aren't gay. BUT, if someone who isn't gay, says gay in the context of happy, they get a hug.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:42 pm
People who say "Gay" or "f**" out of context are either, ignorant or groomed to say it by ignorant people. Most people fall under catagory #1  

God of lunchboxes

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:15 pm
This topic looks familiar. We've had a thread (actually, probably more than one) on the use of the word "gay" (and some other words too) before. Then again, that thread hasn't had any new replies for a while, so don't go reply to it.

I don't use "gay" to mean that something is bad because I'm more used to using other words.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:52 pm
You have to blame the other 30 MILLION people pressuring them into it.  

silentsouless

Fatalis Unus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:01 pm
Sometimes i wish all iliterates in the world were dead...but that'd mean that only a meagre amount of humans would reamain. Good! It's humans that are killing the world...

Now...what are we talking about? Homosexuality?

Okay, i think that the iliterates are using 'Gay' as a shortcut to refer to people as 'stupid, 'idiot' or 'a*****e' etc. 'f**' is just the same. razz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm
I really dislike using the word "gay" because I always think it'll come out offensive. sweatdrop

- Oh, and isn't it "a lot" instead of "alot"? confused  

The Shoe Pile

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm
most of the time when people use that phrase I tend to ask them or say:

"Oh! I didn't know so-and-so was homosexual!"
"How can a *thing they just referred to* be homosexual"
"I didn't know *thing they just referred to * could have a sexual preference!"

Or something clever to the effect of that, most often said in a sarcastic or insulting voice. Most people stutter over themselves for a good few moments trying to explain what they meant. this can lead to me saying something to the following effect (depending on how they word themselves):

"So you think something is wrong with a person because they have different preferences than you?"

of corse this almost always leads to a "Heated discussion" over the term "Gay". I usually win, because those who say "that's gay" usually have the brain equivalent to that of a peanut.

I do have several gay friends. Most of them are just flat out amazing, so I can't stand it when someone uses the term improperly. If you hadn't already guessed this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:37 pm
It's pointless worrying about political correctness or hurt feelings resulting from word usage. The gays don't have much more reason to get upset when one says "That's so gay!" than the mentally retarded do when one says "That's so retarded!" Or than smelly people do when one says "That stinks!"

And if we started using the name "Hitler" in place of the adjective "evil," you think anyone would give a damn that Hitler would be crying about it in hell? Nein.

Words are worthless strings of letters not worth getting upset over (unless of course it's the mutilation of a language, such as chatspeak - simply unacceptable). One may reject the old saying "Sticks and stones etc." as a child's philosophy, but those who get upset over harmless idioms might very well be the childish ones.

I, too, had a couple gay friends in front of whom I had used the allegedly 'insulting' term, and they could have cared less. In fact, they used the idiom as well. Mayhaps they were the mature ones.  

Hawk_McKrakken

little_evil_goth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 pm
I have gay friend's who use it themselves in space of "That's retarded". But even so is it not politically incorrect to use "Retarded" in any context? ((And being anti-political correct is a passion of mine)) "Gay" has simply evolved into yet another word used to describe something we already had 20 other words for. It's part of today's Pop Culture. I've used it before. The trouble is these words get contagious, but for the most part it's an in-joke with my friend's and I that I forget and use everywhere else. The truth is so long as it is not used for the purpose of hurting or insulting anyone there isn't a real reason to hate it. The "N" word on the other hand.....  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:05 am
I use the expression, 'That's so gay,' sometimes.

I used it in front of a friend, whom I thought was just effeminate and not gay, and he seemed to be uncomfortable with it. So I never said that again when he was around. Although the pink Japanese paper parasol that I was describing was most definitely gay... xp

My other gay friends, on the other hand, throw it around when playfully insulting each other. Instead of saying 'hey' they say, 'Hey f**!' Or instead of saying, 'You b!tch!,' they say, 'You f**!'

sweatdrop

I guess they're totally fine with that.  

applecyder

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:37 am
I'd say most kids in my school use it. xp I don't and I never say anything about it, because there's another word that bothers me more.

"Shotgun!"

What the fruct?! That is one of the lamest expressions I've ever heard.

Like when I sat on a chair at school and someone said, "Hey! I said 'shotgun' for that seat!"

Me: " stare And this word entitles you to that chair? My a** is on that chair right now. Why don't you repeat that word to it and let's see if it moves."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:07 am
I say it, spelling it Gai on Forums and IM.
I'll say things are bent, too.
Meaning that something isn't right.

It's just a word. I don't mean it as everything that is gay is wrong.

I believe the last terms I used them in were..

"I'm gonna' have to restart, the camera is being bent again."
And
"I can't get Sky One anymore, Sky are being gai and turned all their channels off from Virgin."

OHFUN.

I find it more annoying when people say "alot", which I've already seen two people in this thread do. I also saw one that didn't capitalise her I's. *Glares*  

Marcus McFlufferson

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
'Gay' is ambiguous.

It means a male homosexual personage.

It also means happy.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers