Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Fun Fur: Fun? or eeeeevil? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fun Fur?
  EVIL! It must be destroyed!!
  GOOD! It is the highest form of all yarns!
  evil ! It's evil lite, sending crafters to heck!
  good ! It's a little bit good, providing interesting texture for special projects
View Results

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:10 am
I have to admit I have a love-hate relationship with fun fur (and other fur yarns of different names) I mean for every really cool project like this:User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There are a million monstrosities like this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So what's the verdict? What have you made with fun fur? Did it turn out?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 am
I've used it to make scarves, and those turned out well. I wouldn't make half of the projects Lion Brand recommends for it, though - there's a fine line between fun and tacky!  

Brunette_Star

Maer^ier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:45 pm
I'm going to have to go with the fact that It's only good for hats, scarves, and the like, and for little kids' stuff.

And absolutely no funfur trim. Ew.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:13 pm
i think it is somehting that should only be used for a few small projects. and i agree no trim!  

Fionamule

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:09 pm
I'd allow trim, but only in certain tasteful and appropriate places. Like cat beds. That's okay. Clothing? Oh, hell noes.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:10 pm
DecemberFlower
I'd allow trim, but only in certain tasteful and appropriate places. Like cat beds. That's okay. Clothing? Oh, hell noes.

Agreed. Unless you're under 3 you have no business wearing a fun fur sweater. 6 if you're pushing it. (But daym is that fun fur chicken suit cute... on a toddler tho)

I also think it works well for stuffed toys. But then again stuffed toys are supposed to be fuzzy.

My least favorite of all? Fun Fur ponchos. Particularly in rainbow colors *shudder*  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

pheonixearth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:34 pm
I have crocheted a hat, but that's about it. It was annoying to work with, although it made it easier when I held it with a strand of worsted weight yarn. The hat turned out as something I would NEVER wear in public though..... and the colors mixed well together. I like fun fur, but not for alot of things...-  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:48 pm
it definatly has its place, and its not in my knitting selection. That baby chicken costume though... thats cute.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:55 pm
I think Fun Fur defitely has it's place.
A cute scarf? Yes.
A MINIMAL Accent(as in one row) trim on a VERY girly sweater? MAYBE
A full jacket, sweater, poncho, or three-inch trim on any peice of clothing? Only if were payed a million bucks.

Not only is it horrendous in most uses, it's also really hard to work with!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:09 am
A very individualistic friend of mine knit herself a fun fur scarf in bright turquois. It looks great on her, because it matches the highlights in her pitch black hair. On anyone else, it looks like you went muppet hunting.

Fun fur used appropriately and sparingly is okay.

If you can pull it off.

And very few people can.

But it makes good cat toys.  

Blue-eyes-green

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:14 am
If used sparingly and tastefully, or for costumes, it can look ok but it does tend to look like you went "Muppet hunting" in larger doses. I got a free ball of Disco along with about half the knitters and crocheters on Craftster. I made a scarf out of it and it looked like I'd skinned Grover. Eek!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:35 pm
I used to have a dark purple muppet skin jacket with a funky looking hood but it's almost worn out now. I guess the "I just killed a muppet"-look isn't for everyone. xd  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:25 pm
ForestGreen
If used sparingly and tastefully, or for costumes, it can look ok but it does tend to look like you went "Muppet hunting" in larger doses. I got a free ball of Disco along with about half the knitters and crocheters on Craftster. I made a scarf out of it and it looked like I'd skinned Grover. Eek!
I sent away for it, but never got it. I was so sad. sad I wanted free ugly yarn. emo  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:23 pm
i've tried on hats, scarves and socks made out of fun fur. its extreamly uncomfortable to wear for me and doesnt keep me warm at all.( very dry and sensative skin and no tolerence for cold) especially with the tinsel in it. i've never worked with it cause i dont know how to knit or crochet yet. but yes it is tacky.  

peachkitten

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48 am
i'd use it with a worsted-weight yarn...but only as part of a trim for like...a hat ....or the ends of a scarf...i saw a really cute scarf made with a fun fur trim... but yeah, it's a b***h to work with.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff