Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Craft-Related Injuries, Anyone? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:41 pm
Heh heh...
Anyone have a tale of craft-related injuries that they wish to tell?
I sure do, lol.
I have sewing needles laying around in my room cuz I sew in there all the time. Well, long story short, sewing needle fell onto chair flat, I couldnt find it, I got up and left for a few minutes and forgot about it, came back, sat down (I usually sit on one of my legs) and I feel sharp pain. I look and theres a sewing needle sticking out of my jeans, I think "Hmm..mustve gotten stuck in my jeans and poked my leg" so I try to pull it out, it won't come out, I realize its stuck in my leg, and I start freaking out and crying cuz I dont know what to do and I can't get it out, lol. So I go into the other room and explain the situation and my mom pulls it out, and we put disinfectant on it, lol.
I've still got my battle wound from it,, lol. X3  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:52 pm
BTW, It was the blunt end....(The end you put the thread through, lol)
>3> Never want to experience that EVER again, lol. Also, it was a self-threading needle so there were two post like thingies instead of one rounded thing, lol.
I haven't sewn anything since Sunday when it happened, lol. I'm prolly gonna tonight though, lol.  

Chibi Kiku-chan

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 pm
Hmmm.... aside from the general bashing myself on table corners, running into door frames and stuff like that while carrying projects to and from the kitchen table, i can't say i've ever had a real injury...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:19 pm
mm. I once sewed my finger, I wasn't paying attention.  

ill dirty up your laundry

Tes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:44 pm
~
I have sliced my fingers, burnt them on irons, had pins and needles impaled in my feet. Nothing too serious though. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with bandaids or a little time.
~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:11 pm
Craft related injuries? Burned with the domestic iron a week or two ago, burned on a wood burner almost a year ago (still have a scar), straight pin under the finger nail last Thursday, had a straight pin go into my leg a couple years ago and then ripped out, burned on the other iron in November (or maybe early December), burned on the curling iron in December, burned with hot wax in January. Yet if you give me an exacto knife, I'm perfectly injury free, but give me something that involves the possibility of burns and I will get hurt. Oh and three years ago I had a crochet hook go through the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger, it hurt.  

Lexi Marie

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:05 pm
Yeah, I've just had needles in my feet from dropping them on the floor and losing them in the carpet. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:18 pm
AH! I just managed to accidentally injure myself. mad D I was starting to feel like a fake-crafter!

I was pulling out a seam and missed the fabric and hit the side of my finger with the seam ripper. It went in as far as it could and then ripped my skin. gonk BANDAID!  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:35 am
You know that huge needle you use to finish knitted things? (tapestry needle?) I prefer those with blunt edges but when I lost my nice blue plastic one I could only find pointy metal ones. I bought a set since it was cheaper than buying just one... Annoying...

Anyway. I gave one to my boyfriends sister since she was finishing a scarf and didn't have one. Apparently she just stuck it in the knitting when she didn't use it as I found out when I tryed to move her knitting. It was booby trapped! It drew blood from my finger, it was painful but not really dangerous.

I've also strained my neck and got sore shoulders from knitting too much when I was sick sad That really sucked. I couldn't do anything besides lying in bed staring at the ceiling. Knitting hurt, reading hurt (I couldn't support a book) so I tried to amuse myself with relaxation tapes.

Knitting and badly treated rheumatism doesn't really mix. It's a good thing I'm well medicated most of the time because I'm not quitting. razz

And OW! A crochet hook through the hand sounds painful.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 am
I once discovered that hot glue gun glue is hot.
and that if you get hot glue gun glue on your finger your first reaction is to pull the hot thing off with the other hand
then your secound hand hurts
so you pull it off with the first hand
then both your hands hurt more
then you gotta get the hurt secound hand to pull off the hot thing from the safe non glued corner
then latter you gotta pull set hot glue off burnt fingers

the things you learn in life  

I be me
Vice Captain

spiffydesu

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:27 am
I've had my fair share of needles in the feet... along with hands, arms, legs, etc. I tend to get really sore neck and shoulders from crocheting. I've had plenty of burns from irons and hot glue guns. Nothing too painful razz .

I did use a straight pin once to carve a scar into my thigh though xd .  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:46 am
I have somehow miraculusly avoided double-pointed needle stab wounds so far, and the worst "injury" I can remember from my own crafting exploits is the handcramp I once got rushing to finish a cabled scarf for a friend's birthday the next day.

Of course, I have a scar on my wrist right across the vein from a pair of fold-out craft scissors, given to me by another girl at - get this - Brownies. (You know, junior Girl Guides? Yeah). She was showing off the beautiful scissors her dad had bought her (they really were nice ones, too), and she accidentally stabbed me. I had to go hope because I was bleeding so much. >_<;  

Beboots

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:32 am
I rarely injure myself crafting. Now, doing design work, thats another story. Anything from slight cuts to huge cuts, to sanding off skin with sanidng machine, to metal flecks embedded in skin to colds and flus from inhaling toxic dust while sanding. (the last being the most recent)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:05 pm
I was helping a friend try to make a topiary with a glue gun....yah....next thing i know, my thumb is burning, and i try to get the glue off as quickly as possible, run it under cold water, get the glue off, and a HUGE blister forms...i think it burned the ends of some nerves, cause that thumb is the first thing to go numb on my hand...  

Maki Minakoaino

Fionamule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:50 pm
i burned my finger a few weeks ago soldering the bezel for a ring. it still hurts a lot. thats the biggest craft injury ive had. everything else has just been bumps and pin pricks.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff