Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Musings on Crafts (now with Pics!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:59 pm
Have you ever had random thoughts pop into your head while you're working on a craft?

I do; knitting gives me time to think, and I like to keep track of my thoughts. So why not make a thread to share just those random ideas. Yesterdays was "gee, I wonder why there aren't more patterns for women's v-neck sweaters?" ((as there seem to be lots of men's V neck sweaters but few womens... even on Gaia, a male avatar can get V neck sweaters but a female one can't >.<)) And I love v-necks. So I had to borrow a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting without tears and I'm on a quest to make an all purpose pattern for a V neck.

Todays random musing?

"Mmm, Alpaca. I love this yarn. The boyfriend just doesn't understand. This is why the hat is for me!"  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:48 am
My mom took an alpaca hat I knit her off her head and threw it across the room. While I was knitting I thought,

"As we get older, the need for luxury yarns might decrease slightly. Better switch to acrylic or cotton for the next hat."  

Umberella

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:14 am
I own Knitting Without Tears, but EZ was far too conservative to discuss V-neck construction. All of her sweaters discussed in K w/o T have variations on high rounded collars.

If you want a nice V-neck try studying this Crystal Palace Cabled Pullover There are lots of other free patterns available. Here is a simpler one that has a more femminine shape: Katia Pullover

As for my knitting musings I tend to think about other things I would like to knit. In the past, this has resulted in many unfinished items because I'll get really excited about a new project before I finish the first one. I'm trying to break myself of that habit, but I already have three projects on the needles and there is a huge yarn sale Saturday that will be my downfall. crying  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:33 am
well goodness, she doesn't have V necks.

Man... the poor forgotten V neck. Though I still need the book for raglan sleeve.

Now I'm on a quest... -.-

smile  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:34 am
Umberella
My mom took an alpaca hat I knit her off her head and threw it across the room. While I was knitting I thought,

"As we get older, the need for luxury yarns might decrease slightly. Better switch to acrylic or cotton for the next hat."

3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 am
YourAzureGoddess
well goodness, she doesn't have V necks.

Man... the poor forgotten V neck. Though I still need the book for raglan sleeve.

Now I'm on a quest... -.-

smile

Mayhaps this will come in handy: Custom Raglan Pattern  

Tinuvial

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:10 pm
Berrocco has a lovely striped v-neck sweater pattern entitled "mary jane" 3nodding not too many out there. I like v-necks better myself, i dont tlike anything up close around my neck, i think i might have a slight thyroid problem sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:25 pm
I generally think about non-craft-related things while knitting. That is, if I'm not watching TV instead.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 pm
Thank you ever so much for the link, Tinuval!

And since I'm here, I'll muse (This one I cheated and was pondering while driving)

I was thinking if there were sweater patterns knit both top up and bottom down... I'll explain.

I have made a neck down sweater once and I really loved it. I liked that I could keep knitting until I hit the exact length I wanted; but I don't like the way paired increases look. That partially because I don;t like the look of most increases and partially because no matter how much I knit my increases still look sloppy.

So I was wondering if a sweater knit in both directions was feasible: start at the point where the sleeves join the body and knit up to the neck decreasing for the armholes, and then using a cast on where you can pick up at the bottom, pick up and knit down as far as you want so you can get a perfect length.

Then again I could be on crack. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 pm
Alpaca is yummy. really yummy.

Why didn't I knit with it before?  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:16 pm
Tinuvial
I own Knitting Without Tears, but EZ was far too conservative to discuss V-neck construction. All of her sweaters discussed in K w/o T have variations on high rounded collars.

If you want a nice V-neck try studying this Crystal Palace Cabled Pullover There are lots of other free patterns available. Here is a simpler one that has a more femminine shape: Katia Pullover

As for my knitting musings I tend to think about other things I would like to knit. In the past, this has resulted in many unfinished items because I'll get really excited about a new project before I finish the first one. I'm trying to break myself of that habit, but I already have three projects on the needles and there is a huge yarn sale Saturday that will be my downfall. crying

I'm like that with sewing. ninja Whenever there's a sale and I have some extra cash ... I always think that I'm gonna buy just what's on sale or just buy fabric for patterns I already have or patterns for fabric I already have, but ... So, yeah, I have a lot of unfinished sewing projects. xp ... and when I start knitting and crochetting, I wonder what my habits will be like ...? *chuckles* Maybe getting back to some of my old sewing projects before I start to learn to knit & crochet would be a good idea! ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 pm
"I wonder if there are any other good audio book's that I'd like, so I can knit and 'read' at the same time?"

"pleas don't come in to my shop... I'm knitting right now and if you come in, I'll have to stop and make your coffee."  

Lee Kushrenada

Pwzn

Magnetic Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:38 pm
I'm usually angry or stressed when I'm making stuff cause they help to calm me down.

So it'd be like "i hate it when computers hang!!!" or "stop shouting at me"
But after that I'd be ok.
Lol I'm weird. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:13 am
flightoftheunicorn

I'm like that with sewing. ninja Whenever there's a sale and I have some extra cash ... I always think that I'm gonna buy just what's on sale or just buy fabric for patterns I already have or patterns for fabric I already have, but ... So, yeah, I have a lot of unfinished sewing projects. xp ... and when I start knitting and crochetting, I wonder what my habits will be like ...? *chuckles* Maybe getting back to some of my old sewing projects before I start to learn to knit & crochet would be a good idea! ninja

I know, I totally do the same thing. In my mind if I have extra money that I can spend I should spend a little on craft supplies because knowing that hard times will come sooner or later then I can still craft without having the money to buy new supplies  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:16 am
Lee Kushrenada

"pleas don't come in to my shop... I'm knitting right now and if you come in, I'll have to stop and make your coffee."

*chuckle*

That's when you should work in a yarn shop

Speaking of; I went into the newest yarn shop in my town today. The lady therein was really nice, but looked at me funny when I told her that I wanted to felt alpaca; as if it was too nice a fiber to felt.

I wanted to say 'oh contraire, I have an alpaca hat of godliness' but I ended up explaining that I was felting hats and the soft alpaca was nice for people who thought wool was itchy against thier head. She seemed to dig this explanation and told me to bring the finished project back in for her to see. An interesting trip.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff