Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Favorite Crafted Gifts That You've Received? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold
  ^_^
View Results

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:27 am
What are your favorite crafted gifts that you've received? Mine are gifts that I received from my mother as a little girl - she was really into sewing then: a Raggedy Ann doll with the words "I love you" embroidered on her chest, a cloth picture book, and the many clothes and curtains, etc. that she sewed for me when I was a child. ^_^ I'll upload some pictures of a few of them next week when I get a chance to look for them at my Dad's house. To this day, the memory of those homemade gifts warm my heart more than any other gift I have ever received. I know that she put lots of love, thought, time, and effort into making them for me. That still means a lot to me even today, many years later. ^_^ In fact, the gifts mean even more to me now that I understand (from my own experience sewing things) how much time and effort it takes to make things!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:18 am
Mine would have to be the blankets and clothes my grandma made me. She would make us(either crochet or sew) each a blanket every year for christmas. I've saved all of them, and because my mom knew how much work they took she made sure that they were appreciated so they're almost all in great condition, and they're all still used on a regular basis, and I love them so much. Now that she's passed away they mean even more. It's like having her with me in a blanket, if that makes any sense...  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 am
Yes, it does. emo Yes, it must be comforting to have stuff like that around and a pleasant reminder of her love for you and of who she was and the time you spent with her. ^_^ She sounds like she was a really nice grandma. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:58 am
I was just a few weeks old when my great grandmother passed away, but when I was about 8 and it became apparent that I was as addicted to reading as my great grandmother had been, my grandpa gave me the fabric book covers she had made that they had kept when she passed away. So while I never met her, I have a piece of her and a story that I am practically her reincarnation. It's a neat famaily connection and it comforts my grandpa that he can still see his mother in me and see her things still lovingly used.

Also, I'm not a jewelry person, but of the jewelry I DO wear, almost all of it was crafted by friends and I cherish those gifts.  

Silvander

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:12 am
I can't really remember getting any...
no one in my family crafts really.
though I do remember when I was very little my grand mother, (on my mothers side, so we've never talked much, she lives really fare away) she told me that she wanted to knit me a pair of mittens, and asked her what color I wanted them.
I had just heard a story about a pair of white mittens, so I said wite.
that must have been 14 years ago... and I'm still waiting for those mittens. sad  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 am
My girlfriend hand sewed me a teddy bear for v-day. Now, she's not a crafter, she doesn't sew, she's scared of her sewing machine, says it spits fire. Mr. Woozly is probably one of the most poorly constructed stuffed animals i've ever seen. His arms aren't the same size, and the longer one is higher then the shorter one. his neck is abnormally long, and covered by a ribbon. But i love him, there's love in every single stitch.

When i was a baby, my auntie made me a blanket that was super soft on one side and the other side had a cross stitch on it. It was the blanket i slept under when i was a baby. i still have it. I also have a blanket that my mom's friend made for me at the same time, it's got preciouse moments on it. It was my summer blanket, according to my mom, and i have it too. The one from my auntie means more to me, cause i actually know her.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

ecart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:41 pm
My Favorite would have to be the silver stamped "dog tag" pendant that my boy friend made me one valentines day. It is very simple, but he took the time to make something for me, even though he is not overwhelmingly a crafter. Its right up there with the paper flowers my son gave me for one mothers day. No one can resist those. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:52 am
I love this blanket that my great grandmother made me when I was around 7 or so. Now that I know how to do it, I can understand how much work she put into it while making it and it makes me appreciate it even more!
I also love this pillow my aunt sewed me for my birthday this year. She doesn't have a sewing machine, and I feel really special because she took the time to handsew the whole thing for me =)  

noocleer_biskit

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:30 am
Mine's a little like Story From The Stars's -

When I was about 10, my grandmother ("Grandmama") showed me a crochet rippled afghan she made and offered to make me one. She did warn me it would take almost a year, but I still took her up on it. It's a beautiful crochet rippled afghan in several colors - two stripes are complimentary colors (like bue and green), then there's a white stripe, then two colored stripes, then another white stripe.

Now I'm 24, and I still sleep with the afghan between my sheet and quilt every night - even in the summer! Grandmama passed away about a year and a half ago after fighting Alzhiemer's for three years, but all throughout her fight and after her passing, that afghan still is comforting. I think its partially what made me want to learn to crochet so badly.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:51 pm
These are such wonderful, touching stories. These are the kind of stories that make me so grateful for the the people in my life who I cherish, for all the ways that they've blessed my life, and for all the ways that they've shown me love. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:39 pm
I'm sitting here praying that things I've made for people will make them always feel this way, too. -n.n-  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:13 am
I'm sure they do. heart  

Brunette_Star

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:06 pm
My mother used to crochet stuffed toys for people. She made my baby cousin a set of soft crocheted blocks when I was six or so and I ufssed so much she made some for me too.

I don;t know why but simple soft things you can throw around are always the best when you're six.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:18 pm
My favorite crafted gift isn't so much a gift. My grandmother knitted her entire life and she had made some sweaters for herself when she was in her twenties that were still in amazing shape. Well, after she passed away three years ago, we went through all of her stuff and I was the only one able to fit into any of it. My favorite of the seven sweater I got is a pale green/white thin sweater knitted on large needles so it can even be worn in the summer.  

Lexi Marie

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:11 pm
That sounds like a really pretty sweater!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff