Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
You're and Your. >.< Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm
Something that really brings out the Grammar Nazi in me is the misuse of '-you're' and '-your'.

"How was you're day?"
Makes no sense. In full, this would be "How was you are day?" which is absurd.

"Your pretty good." Also absurd.
In full: "Your (mine to recipient) is pretty good."

Does this annoy you?
Sure, I don't mind if English isn't their native language since English is so hard to grasp, but if not, it's just plain stupid.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:32 pm
I haven't really seen it around anywhere. But, I know the difference between 'you're' and 'your.'  

Radio Chaos

j_hawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:24 pm
Yeah, thats just one of those little things that drive me nuts.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:37 pm
Yes, that seems to be a very common mistake. Damn it, it's an apostrophe, you should know when and where to put it! domokun  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:20 am
Mixing up "you're" and "your" is a very common mistake. Threads about this issue are also common. I'm sure there have been multiple threads on this topic in this guild already. (That said, I don't encourage replying to threads that haven't been replied to for a long time.)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:44 am
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not exactly a vetran here so I don't know its recycle history, I just hadn't seen thread on it in the time I'd been here.  

MadnessFreak

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:18 pm
It is very annoying. I read that error countless in fanfics and twitch every time I come upon it. I'm such a grammarian that I find myself unable to enjoy the fic as much. It just glares out from the webpage and mocks me by saying, "You can't do a damn thing about it." I seriously need to chill out.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:01 am
I feel like I see the "your"-"you're" mistake all the time. It makes me almost cringe when someone types out "your coming to the mall, right?" They're so close, it pretty much hurts that they just can't grasp the "you're" concept. stressed Ah well, such is the English language today.  

blueturnsgrey

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:59 pm
"Your welcome" is a particularly annoying version of this mistake. I keep thinking "My welcome WHAT?" It doesn't make any sense. I mean, I can tell when someone is using the wrong word because it LOOKS wrong. How do people not see that something is wrong?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:00 pm
Wow, I got my thread visited by a mod AND an admin. eek  

MadnessFreak

Shonen_Batman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:20 pm
I think it's reasonable to let someone off the hook when they confuse "Your" and "You're". I always got those two confused when I was young.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm
I try so hard to use the two in their proper places. However, all my teachers have always told me that "you're" is a contraction, and can also be used to show possesion. "your" is another way to show possesion. My teachers have twisted my sense of grammar when it comes to that area. I'll write something like this; I saw my friend today, but he didn't have his glasses with him. I asked him, "Where are you're glasses?" My teacher, who told me that "you're" can be used to show posession, would count that wrong! I cannot figure out which one to use so that he won't count it wrong! I 'm going crazy over it!  

omiyashi0

The Shoe Pile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:32 pm
For some weird reason, I actually do get "your" and "you're" mixed up sometimes. I know exactly when to use them but I just can't seem to right them down properly and I don't notice my mistake until someone points it out to me. confused
It's pretty easy to figure which version to use... but I guess I just overlook it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:02 am
You're can never, NEVER be used to show possesion. It's basically saying this:
"You forgot you are glasses."

It's only a matter of remebering what the apostrophe is there for.  

MadnessFreak

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:21 am
I woud say that mixing up your and you're is similar to mixing up their, they're and there.

Both common mistakes, both rather annoying.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff