Pick your poison.
  Sunblock.
  Parasol.
  BOTH!
View Results

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:33 am
Everyone used to hate it. Now everyone wants it.

Five years ago, people acted weird about my skin tone. Tanned people asked why I didn't try to tan. Pale people thought I'd like to b***h with them about how awful it was that they couldn't tan. But lately the comments have changed. A lot. Suddenly I'm hearing "You look great!" and "How do you keep your skin that way?"

I think it's the awareness of skin cancer. The more dangerous tanning gets, the more trendy pale skin seems to be. Being pale is still not mainstream fashion, but it's not totally 'abnormal' anymore.

I'm wondering if other people have noticed this. Do you have pale skin? Do you get treated differently now than just a few years ago?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:40 am
My skin is arguably pale, though "unhealthy" would be a better description. It's always a vague, desaturated (very pale) grey.  

GilAskan
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:44 am
Unfortunately that hasn't caught up to my part of the world xp I get called "pasty" by people whose skin can only really be described as "orange" eek but hey, twenty years down the line I'm not the one that's going to have skin cancer with my pasty complexion xd  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 am
GilAskan
My skin is arguably pale, though "unhealthy" would be a better description. It's always a vague, desaturated (very pale) grey.
Pictures?

XAngelFromYourNightmareX

mybabypenguin

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:07 am
Well not so much in where I live. I don't like to tan because I always get a sun burn and dealing with that is not cool. And either way my skin color will always go back to pale. Where I live tan is in since I live around hispanics(latinos) and that's their natural skin color. I guess I was screawed when I was born.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:40 am
XAngelFromYourNightmareX
GilAskan
Pictures?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Low quality picture, but I think you get the idea?  

GilAskan
Crew

deadlykill7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:47 am
my skin is tan... and won't ever go pale.. even when I never go out in the sun o_O  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 am
My skin's pretty pale too. My dad usually bitches about it in the summer, he complains about how pale I am and how I need to spend more time outside, but even when I do spend time outside, I put on so much sunblock that I stay relatively pale, or I don't put on enough and I burn.

The pale skin look might also be in because goth is becoming a trend again, which irritates the hell out of me. I think I've ranted about this many times before, but I hate it when people dress "goth" because it's in style, it makes true goths look like trend followers.  

Freedom Fire

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:37 am
Isobel Bellamy
Unfortunately that hasn't caught up to my part of the world xp I get called "pasty" by people whose skin can only really be described as "orange" eek but hey, twenty years down the line I'm not the one that's going to have skin cancer with my pasty complexion xd

Haha, gotta love those orange people! Really, the most common way of tanning in my area is either using a self-tanner or going to a tanning salon. Most people opt for the tanning salon, because apparently skin cancer is better than a fake-looking tan, and both are apparently better than being pale. Me, I don't really care about my skin color, I have my hands full getting rid of my acne.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:43 am
I've always been pale. If I wear white, my skin matches it. White as a sheet and proud of it. Born that way, and I love it. I don't tan, I burn, and people think that this is weird. I get made fun of for being pale, but I don't care, it works for me. biggrin  

nightwing773

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:24 am
I really don't keep up with trends at all.

Anyways, in my area, pale skin will pronbably never be 'in', largely due to the fact that there is a very high population of hispanics, blacks, and darker-skinned asians.

On a side note, I've never really understood tanning. Tanning at a salon will spike your risk of getting skin cancer, and spray-on tanners usually look icky. At least the usual methods of staying pale are actually good for your body, and don't contribute to your chances of getting skin cancer... plus, unlike fake tans, natural pallor dosn't look icky and orange.

However, I've said it on hese boards once, and I feel I should say it again... Love the skin you're in! Wether it's sheet-of-paper white or polished ebony, love it and take care of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 pm
I actually appear somewhat jaundiced in most lights. At least, my extremities do. I have a feeling it has to do with my low blood-pressure combined with getting almost no sunlight.  

-Isel-

Zezzel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:44 pm
I've always been pale, at first didn't like it but now i do blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:01 pm
I'm sure you've all heard about my vendetta agaisnt the sun at this point, so I won't repeat it; however, I find that if people comment on my skin tone, it is not complimentary in the least.
However, I can't really blame them, considering my normal ranting and railing about "cancer booths" and "peasant skin".
But most of that was in highschool. It only started because beach bunnies do not make sense in a state with roughly one mile of coastline.

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:14 pm
I'm african-american, so there is always some ammount of tan to me, but it's very light.
If it wasn't for my nose and hair, I'd probably be mistaken for being white.
I dislike my skin color, though. It isn't tan, but it isn't pale. It ends up like a wired mix of cornmeal yellow, pale, and tan. I usualy end up looking like I have jaundice.The only interesting thing is it kinda gets a sliver glowy look to it.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff