Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
How Do You Organize? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm
How do you organize your pattern stash, if at all? How about your supplies stash? Do you group like mediums together (yarns by weight, books or magazines together), instructions for a project sitting with the supplies, or some other method? Me, I have an area of my bookshelf for knitting books, magazines, and a binder of loose patterns, my online patterns in a special folder sorted by type, and a master index (Microsoft Access file, I love that program) so I can look up a pattern by name, type, designer, yarn or yardage and have it tell me where it is in my house or on my computer. It's a little OCD, but so am I X3 My yarn is just sorted by weight, in my yarn cabinet, stacked center-pull balls with the ball bands in the middle.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:07 pm
I keep my patterns in ziplock baggies with just the pieces in the baggie. I put the envelopes and instructions in page protectors in a binder. They aren't in any sort of order, other then maybe chronological....

For supplies... i sort them by projects. Other fabrics and yarns and notions and things go in bins in my closet, its not greatly organized, but then i'm not either.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:35 pm
I keep all my patterns on the computer. Makes for easy diggin' when I need to find them. Also, if I lose my pattern, I just print up another one.

As for yarn, I have 2 seperate drawers for yarn. The easily accessible one is for yarn I am likely to use fairly soon. The other is stuff that will be harder to figure out what to make of it. I like keeping my yarn in hanks as I can cram more into a drawer. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:45 pm
Sewing stuff is kept downstairs, in the untouched cave that is my sewing closet. Yarn is in my bedroom closet, where the cats can't reach it, but I can. Paper and other art supplies (including embroidery floss) are all kept on shelves, in boxes. It looks WAY cluttered, but they're easily accessed there. Ah, how I long for a studio. ;.;  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am
I've got a basket next to the sofa and I try to keep my knittings and yarn contained there... Gustav is getting tired of finding pointy things in the sofa lol

My stash is not that big so this solution works for now. I've also got a few different bags for works in progress. It makes it easier to just grab one and take it with me.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 am
All of my fabrick is in storage in the "hold" (you know that sorta half basement a lot of houses have?) because someday i will haul it out again and want to sew. Curtains if nothing else. The family warhammer 40 k mini collection that are in various stages of painting are on top of the freezer in several different plastic boxes and containers. and I have one set of shelving in the kitchen that is dedicated to my craft stuff. ( I so want a house with a garage)
most everything is sorted in to plastic boxes. of various sizes for protection from cat hair and damp or accidental spillage.  

ecart

ecart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 am
Peppermint Elf
I keep all my patterns on the computer. Makes for easy diggin' when I need to find them. Also, if I lose my pattern, I just print up another one.

how do you get your patterns on the computer? All the sewing patterns I own unfold to be pretty large.. Do you have a plotter to print them back out? does having the pattern on the computer make it easy to make alterations to the pattern?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:20 am
~
I keep things, essentially where I used it last. I'm not terribly organized but it still functions for me and helps me remember where things are. However it is a huge pain in the a** while I am trying to pack to move; to force organization on something inherantly (for me) disorganized, and well, just getting it all in the same place.
~

Tes

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 am
hmsgodess
Peppermint Elf

how do you get your patterns on the computer? All the sewing patterns I own unfold to be pretty large.. Do you have a plotter to print them back out? does having the pattern on the computer make it easy to make alterations to the pattern?

I'm thinking she probaby is refering to knit/crochet patterns, due to the fact that she talks about yarn, not fabric. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 am
My aunt puts her patterns up on a shelf with her sewing books and such. And then she separated the fabrics by color, and type. Like the fuzzy fabrics are in one draw, and the cottons are spread about in certain colors. And then she has a box for all my stuff... Which is kinda set by what I'm working on. Fabric from my brother's and sister's blankets are at the bottom because I already did them, then a baby blanket fabric that keeps getting put on hold because there's no babys to make it for, then my friends blanket that got put on hold because we got into a fight, and then my promdress one which makes me sad, and then at the top I have my best friends crazy quilt patches. ^^;  

CrystalRose

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:43 pm
hmsgodess
Peppermint Elf

Sorry. I should've been more specific. Knitting patterns. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:50 pm
When I'm really good I organize yarn by fiber: Acrylic, wool and snimal fibers, cotton and plant fibers ect. Then by weight if needed.

Usually I throw it in bags and toss them in the closet >.<

I organize patterns by type: Knit vs. crochet; sweaters vs. hats vs. scarves and so on  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

ecart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 pm
Peppermint Elf
hmsgodess
Peppermint Elf

Sorry. I should've been more specific. Knitting patterns. sweatdrop

rofl OH! I get it now! (how funny. ) Mmmmm.. maybe i will try putting my sewing patterens on the computer though... it might work.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:48 pm
uhhh....i don't really organize  

fashionista468

noocleer_biskit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 pm
All my patterns are in a binder, all of my needles are in containers, and all of my yarn is in a trunk in my closet. My projects are always all over the place though lol.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff