Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Harry Potter: The Order of the Pheonix Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Point?
  Yes! You have to read it, it is amazing.
  Yes, you should.
  No way, no point if you know what happens.
  You've read the sixth before the fifth?
  Nah. Too late, you already read the sixth.
  Doesn't matter. Follow your heart, grasshopper.
  Just wait for the movie, no big.
View Results

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:34 pm
I have read only the first and sixth books of the HP series, but I have seen all the movies...I want to know if I should read the 5th one. I mean, I already know if Sirius dies but is that the only important part of the book? Or should I read it? Is there any point?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:21 am
Ok, let me get this straight...the first...then the sixth?! Whaaa...? eek The movies are rubbish, you've gotta read the books! All of them! In order!! Or at least just all of them! Get reading  

Zieza

LunaWillowind

Devoted Lunatic

16,000 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:52 am
Zieza
Ok, let me get this straight...the first...then the sixth?! Whaaa...? eek The movies are rubbish, you've gotta read the books! All of them! In order!! Or at least just all of them! Get reading

I agree, you should really read the whole series. You don't know the amount of stuff you are missing by not reading it. As for the movies, they are completely different from the books as they leave out a lot.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:07 pm
I read the fourth. It was crap. It made all sorts of awful literary mistakes that just... irked me to no end. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the movies or reading anymore of the books.

So my advice for you is to skip Harry Potter and just move on to something halfway decent.  

Kukushka

Zieza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:24 pm
The way I see it is if you've started it already, just stick with it and try to read the books. Or just skip the books completely and just watch the movies. One or the other is usually best.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:29 am
I'm surprised to find a thread in this guild that recommends watching the movie and forgetting the books! As someone who has read all of the books, in order, I think if you forget about each individual story and picture the whole HP saga then all of them are unforgetable. If nothing else, each book shows the gang growing up a little and meeting some new people. Every book teaches you something about the past, and each character reveals an important thought or feeling or secret. I have a hard time remembering which book each part comes from because I see it as one big continuing story, instead of 6 or 7 separate books. So I think you should read all of them, in order. Ok, that it.  

ShyBFly

Amphion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:24 pm
Definitely read them! If nothing else, there are some very funny moments. And try and get the British editions; they're much better.

Quite frankly, the movies suck. The third one's the only one that's been passable so far. I dread seeing what the fifth one turns into.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:42 pm
You should read it, maybe some other things will happen in it that you don't know.  

Zombielight

Ban_prevention

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 am
Please read it. It will totally make the whole movie experience worth while. The book does not compliment the movie, the movie compliments the book.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm
If you have already read the first book, read the second-fifth books. It doesn't matter if you watch the movies, they leave out and change too much of it. I hate the fifth book more than I hate a lot of things, but I would suggest reading it, if only to know what happens. (Umbridge needs to be hurt...badly.) But, whatever. I just hated the fifth book, partly for what happens to Sirius, partly because of Harry's stupidity, and partly for stuff I shouldn't mention if you haven't read it already.  

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

bakuretsuai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:23 pm
Zieza

Okay, please read all of the books in order. The movies are a joke and personally, I believe the author made it that way. The movies are really less than half the story. There are a ton of events throughout that are not those critical plot points but literary gold anyway. You're missing a wonderful reading experience if you deprive yourself of every single book cover to cover.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:03 am
My dear, all of the Harry Potter books should be read! stare The answer to your question is that although Sirius's death IS a huge event, it occurs in the very end of the book. Each and every book has so much packed into it that if you skip one, you're missing way too much action to really understand everything in the sequels.
I definitely think you should read not only the fifth book, but the three before it, as well.  

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:41 am
You may already know what happens by the end of the fifth book, but getting there is half the fun. You really lose a lot of you don't read them in order, I think, because it's the little details that really help make the setting feel real. The little things about the characters and how they all fit together, the descriptions of the school--all of it forms a much more cohesive whole once you've read all the books. Check them out! =D  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:13 pm
Hahah, I jsut now found this place again and I've decided to read the whole series all over again! If I can do that, you can read them all once can't you?  

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

[_TorturingLiars_]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:52 pm
I started reading the first book, and instantly became bored. The movies are very entertaining though, and I've seen them all except the third basically. There's something that draws my interest to the movies, and it just feels unnatural reading the book. Hey, I know many people who think the exact opposite =D.

~ Torturing Liars~

Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces