Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  whore
View Results

portofships

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:09 pm
My friends and I all go to book club at our school. I really like it, because I enjoy discussing books with other people who are as widely read as I am. There is only one problem. The teacher who runs book club flat out REFUSES to read a fantasy book. She is so...not flexible, even contemporary fiction, but not necessarily fantasy, gets shot down. Today were were deciding on our next book, and we fought hard to get a book we wanted, with little success. She and the grade 11 members of book club kept shooting down our ideas. When they suggested books such as "True Believer" "Shopaholic and Baby" and "Marie Antoinette" my friend said that she didn't like the type of books they were suggesting and found it hard to read them. The teacher replied with "Oh, that's right, you like to read books about DRAGONS! and SORCERERS!" and then she slapped the table and laughed at her, as if it was the funniest thing in the world, the grade 11s and librarian also laughing. My friend got uncomfortable and slightly embarassed. That...JERK made her feel nerdy and stupid, just because she would rather read a fantasy epic than a gushy, soap-operaish romance or a girly fluff book. My friend and I are thinking of starting a Fantasy/Sci-Fi club, because we are sick of getting excluded and ridiculed in the current one.

So, I ask you this, is fantasy less respected than other genres? Is fantasy looked upon as nerdy and lame, and are people who liked it looked upon as nerdy and lame?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm
I think that it kind of depends on the people's personalities as to wheter or not fantasy is looked upon as "nerdy." At my school, people don't seem to care, but they continue to read those stupid Clique books, if they're reading at all. The people who have the imaginative capacity to read fantasy certainly don't think it's nerdy. I guess it just- depends.  

ckmidnight

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 pm
Well, my mom has declared, on several occasions, that the books I read are not "real books." She wants me to read classics, which I would read... except she told me they're real books and that's the only reason I should read them. You know what books I think aren't "real books?" Romance novels. Most of the ones I've read (and yes, I have read a good few of them) have a token plot and mainly revolve around sex between the main character and the main love interest. Sometimes multiple love interests. Not to say I haven't found some really good romance books--I have. But still, the majority of the romance books I read are dumb. Do people make fun of romance readers publicly? Not really.

And that's why I don't join book clubs. Almost never do the people in book clubs read books that I would like.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 pm
ckmidnight
I think that it kind of depends on the people's personalities as to wheter or not fantasy is looked upon as "nerdy." At my school, people don't seem to care, but they continue to read those stupid Clique books, if they're reading at all. The people who have the imaginative capacity to read fantasy certainly don't think it's nerdy. I guess it just- depends.
You're right-personality is a big factor. ARG THOSE CLIQUE BOOKS! gonk The only thing worse than them is Twilight. stare  

portofships

portofships

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:00 pm
NightIntent
Well, my mom has declared, on several occasions, that the books I read are not "real books." She wants me to read classics, which I would read... except she told me they're real books and that's the only reason I should read them. You know what books I think aren't "real books?" Romance novels. Most of the ones I've read (and yes, I have read a good few of them) have a token plot and mainly revolve around sex between the main character and the main love interest. Sometimes multiple love interests. Not to say I haven't found some really good romance books--I have. But still, the majority of the romance books I read are dumb. Do people make fun of romance readers publicly? Not really.

And that's why I don't join book clubs. Almost never do the people in book clubs read books that I would like.
eek She says fantasy books aren't "real books?" That's terrible! gonk
Ick. Some romances are written well, but most drive me nuts. Romance is another genre that isn't taken as seriously, even if it is more "socially acceptable" than fantasy.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:39 pm
Excuse me- but Twilight was a good book... at least it made sense...
Personally, anything that has a pink floral print on the cover is OUT!
But for any people who think fantasy is not "real"- deal with it- I'll be here a while!  

ckmidnight

portofships

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 am
I suppose I should have explained myself better. I don't hate Twilight, I actually like it. I just hate the ridiculous fandom. That's all. mrgreen
No joke. Can we say Lord of the Rings? stare  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Much like ckmidnight's response, I guess it really depends on one's own upbringing and personal experience with Fantasy books. Oh and uh, portofships? I personally think I would have gotten up and smacked their faces followed by a speech of how much injustice was there. stressed
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lukino Astrophel

Survivor

Wings Akimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:04 pm
...But I like reading about dragons and sorcerers.

And I guess it depends who you're talking to. Some people have no problem with fantasy, and others see it as the scum of the bookshelf. Just ignore them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:31 pm
NightIntent
Well, my mom has declared, on several occasions, that the books I read are not "real books." She wants me to read classics, which I would read... except she told me they're real books and that's the only reason I should read them.

I wouldn't not read them on that account--you'll miss out on a lot of good stuff that way.

You can even get some fantasy in that way wink Charles Dickens & Oscar Wilde are among the "real" authors who wrote original literary fairy tales & fairy tale retellings.

Quote:
You know what books I think aren't "real books?" Romance novels. Most of the ones I've read (and yes, I have read a good few of them) have a token plot and mainly revolve around sex between the main character and the main love interest. Sometimes multiple love interests. Not to say I haven't found some really good romance books--I have. But still, the majority of the romance books I read are dumb. Do people make fun of romance readers publicly? Not really.

Oh, I think romance is at least as denigrated as fantasy, possibly more so. I've less experience with that particular form of discrimination because I generally don't read romance, but... it's there.

To answer the main question: fantasy is often seen as "escapist" stuff that does not prepare people to face the "real world." So, to some, people who read fantasy are mental wimps, not ready to deal with the rigors of "reality." C. S. Lewis wrote a great essay on the topic.

That said, I think fantasy is becoming more acceptable now, thanks in part to the Lord of the Rings movies & Harry Potter. I have mixed feelings about the respective fandoms of both, though I also enjoy both the books in question & the movies based on them, but they have helped put fantasy more on the map. I've noticed that a lot of long out-of-print books are now coming back into print, which has made me very happy.  

Bookwyrme

ckmidnight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:53 pm
Maybe people only respect authors they've heard of... romance books lurk in every corner, but fantasy books are tucked into sections at the back. Everyone has a friend who reads romance- or a mom- so they are pressured into it, too. and Harry Potter books and The Lord of the Rings got lots of fame after so many peope read them and they were turned into movies. Oh, well, maybe it is just personality... and puh- lease just call me midnight- the ck is just there because simple midnight was already taken.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:58 pm
Unfortunatly I think most people don't understand Fantasy as easily as they can understand other genres.

Romance novels can be as cheesy as they come but everyone understands boy+girl+romantic setting = love. It's harder for someone who has no interest in the genre to understand why someone is riding a dragon or summoning wolves ro what have you.

IN every genre there are good books and 'junky' books; no more or less in Fantasy but it gets typecast because some people son;t want to take the time and effort to understand what is going on  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

ckmidnight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 pm
Like i said before- imagiative capacity. So... maybe you have to read fantasy from the beginning of your reading experience? Ok, that's 3 of my theories to choose from. Pick one.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:12 pm
Wow, thanks for posting. You've given me a few things to think about.
It's official. My friend and I are going to start our own fantasy/Sci-Fi club at our school, we've already got 6 people on board as members. We just need to get permission. biggrin  

portofships

koorimefiregirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Lets see. My english teacher in highschool, my mother, and my grandmother all diss fantasy books. My teacher said it was because fantasy is an "escape from reality" my mom thinks they're stupid(she's never read one) and my grandmother tried to get me into reading romance novels(I resisted). You're not alone in thinking fantasy as a genre does not get much respect. Poeple just don't understand it or are not comfortable exploring worlds that are so different than their soap operas.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff