Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your size?
  XL
  L
  M
  S
  XS
  I have to shop in the childrens' section.
View Results

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:21 pm
So, today I went to my local goth shop and tried on a Lolita skirt. Hey, I thought, this is a style that started in Japan. The whole point is to look like a Victorian preteen. So if the skirt is labelled "XS," it's got to fit me. Right? Right??

Wrong.

Every time I try on anything from a gothic clothing label, it's too long or too roomy or too big all 'round. Seriously, these designers don't seem to think there are goths out there who weigh less than 130 lbs and are less than six feet tall. I've seen a lot of options for plus sizes, but finding petites is nearly impossible!

Do you have these problems too? Do gorgeous goth gowns look like tents on you? Have you learned to tailor or make your own clothes because you've got no other options?

And does anyone know of a gothic clothing line that makes petites?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:17 pm
I'm the opposite, i can't find clothes that hang comfortably, they are all to tight, because of my height and being broad shouldered I have to have extra large. But I can't find that size anywhere.  

Rellik San
Crew

CircleOfTheDarkOnes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:30 pm
I have a wicked metabolism, so i can eat and eat and eat (and eat) and not gain anything, but i dont seem to have much of a problem finding stuff that fits.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:44 pm
See, I have to opposite problem, I'm not enormous, but I have curves, and its damned near impossible to find something for someone with a huge hip-waist ratio. Everything I find is for people who're straight up and down with no inny bit inbetween!  

Isobel Bellamy

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:10 pm
My problem is the exact opposite.
Unknowing of the conciquences I ate a lot as a child and that has come back to haunt me.
I can't seem to find people who make clothig who don't believe there are goths over a hundred pounds. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:31 pm
I'm crazy tall and chestless. People seem to think that the taller you are, the larger you are all-around, thus nothing fits me. At all. I have never once found a dress that even came CLOSE. Garble.  

Vexworth

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:55 pm
Rellik San
I'm the opposite, i can't find clothes that hang comfortably, they are all to tight, because of my height and being broad shouldered I have to have extra large. But I can't find that size anywhere.

I have to look around for extra-extra large shirts. That's just how broad shouldered I am. Extra large will be very constricting for me and look as if I was about to hulk out.

Honestly, I would seriously suggest learning how to tailor your clothes. It would help tremendously. I just stitched up my old pair of Tripp pants that were ripping in the crotch. If you learn to mend, tailor, create your clothes, you'll enjoy wearing them even more.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:03 pm
I have a lot of problems fitting into many peices of clothing.

I'm not thin, but I'm not super-heavy either. I'm curvy, and I do have a little belly. Alongside that I have quite long legs, and am above-average height for a girl (I'm about 5'8").

My main problem deals with skirts, dresses, and pants. Due to my height, pants in my size are never long enough! I've tried on extra tall pants, and they're still way too short! I have the same problem with most skirts and dresses too, but because I always wear boots which come to right below my knee I'm able to pull off not quite long enough skirts and dresses.

I also have a problem with tops sometimes. I have a rather sizeable chest, but many tops fail to accomadate for that. On top of that I can never buy off-the-rack steel-boned corsets, because they're usually made for smaller-chested girls...

Height and boobs are both a blessing and a curse... sweatdrop  

DreamerSpirit

nodens the river god

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:17 pm
i buy stuff, then cut them up to make them look good un like the jock it was befor i got it. pirate (pirates rule)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:33 pm
If I didn't have boobs, I would have the exact same problem. Everything is always squeezing really tight right around my boobs, but everywhere else it's humongous. Seriously, most of the time I have to buy a large or extra large because of these ******** things. It sucks. Oh well. At least I have boobs. lol.

Corpse_Bride_131

Substance-E

Newbie Noob

3,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Lol Im kinda way on the skinny side but im like 5' 11" and finding pants that fit me and still are long enough is a cold, hurty pain in the a**...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm
I can identify. I can wear children's clothes, my only deterent is that I have boobs. So if I actually get something that fits, it looks like they are making a break for it, lol. I have big hips too, but its still almost impossible to find them just right... they're normally way too big in the waste or way too short because i'm tall. XD  

lyssiah

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:03 pm
That is the exact opposite of the problem most of the goths I know have. I'm the only person I know who can fit in half the fashions, and I don't care for most of them, which frustrates the hell out of people who do. I usually shop with my sister, who is six feet tall and a D cup, and curved appropriately to support that. And she loves lolita. I'm five foot two and built like Lina Inverse, so every other minute she sees something she lusts over, I'd fit, but have no interest in. Obviously, we need to switch stores.

Anyway, the minigoths are outnumbered. Do not whine about not finding clothes small enough, or you will probably be at least threatened with great physical pain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:39 pm
Really, it depends on the store you go to.

A lot of online stores seem to only stock smaller sizes. I've encountered many shops online which only offer sizes XS - L. And their "large" waist-line will only be 2 inches larger than medium. Ultra-thin has long been popular in the goth scene, so many stores which cater to the hardcore members will stock only small sizes (yes, I've seen some online stores whose largest size was "Medium-Small").

Now, the case is different in street-shops and non-online stores. These stores rely on foot traffic; rely on everyone who's interested stopping in. Because of this, these stores have to stock what will sell most. And, statistically speaking, there are more "L" than "S" out there, and far more "X" in front of L's available than there are "X" in front of smalls. I've seen 7XL sizes, but never more than a XXS.  

GilAskan
Crew

Kazikano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:37 pm
I live in Australia, so even if I knew of any I don't think it'd help you. The gothic lolita style (which is what I generally wear) isn't very well known here. Okay, so nobody's ever seen or heard of it so hundreds of people stare at me but that's not the point. I make my own clothes most of the time because I can't find any I like in stores.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff