Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Found this in Gaia's GD Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aion needs...
  A good hit to the back of the head
  Starbucks, maybe?
  Nothing...he's absoulty right...I AM ugly in real life.
View Results

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:56 am
`Aion
I hate 'literates'.
I really do. I simply can't stand them.

I mean, it's like this.
They went to school, like the rest of us. And, just because they're probably actually very ugly in real life, they have to write out their sentences perfectly and use proper grammar and all that jazz. I understand it, I do the same.
But, especially in RPing, they look down upon someone who doesn't type a 7-paragraph novel for every reply. Truthfully, how can that be fun? Unless you're planning on writing a book with your partner, I guess...

Another thing.
They should get better names. I mean, instead of 'literate' and 'illiterate'.
Because, that's implying that the 'illerates' CAN'T read or write. And if you can't do either of those, congrats on actually being on the internet in general.

I've noticed, all 'literates' are pretty much elitist bastards. And most of them are female. I've also noticed, that most literates use 'elitist humor' by picking on people who make a single misspelling, or use 'shock humor', like using words like 'abortion' 'orgasm' and 'hitler'.

I guess, I myself could be considered 'literate'. Though, when I RP I'm pretty lazy or try not to write too much, because then my partners would get bored and not read it. Though, sometimes on the forums I get bored, and flame/troll as only a /b/tard can. 8]

Spoons?
No.

I believe you need a good smack in the head, buddy.
What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:33 pm
According to dictionary.com, illiterate means: "1. unable to read and write:".
So when (s)he said:
Quote:
They should get better names. I mean, instead of 'literate' and 'illiterate'.
Because, that's implying that the 'illerates' CAN'T read or write.

She's wrong. Plus, she spelled the same word right in one sentence and wrong in the next.
I think it's wrong to assume that all "literates" expect a 7 page response to things. I don't understand why it's hard to use PROPER writing/grammar/spelling. After all, if you write that way for school papers, it can't be THAT HARD to do the same thing in a message board. Maybe I'm just being too hopeful.  

Aubrey Nicole

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 pm
For a start, that's trolling.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:40 pm
What a troll. I dare him to find one other word to call 'literates' on Gaia. The term has existed since' the dawn of the internet and the advent of online txt tlk. Good luck trying to convince anyone to call people otherwise.

And the only literates that harp on you for a single spelling mistake/typo are just as bad as the people who bash all those who use sentences when typing. Good job lowering yourself to their subterranean level, Aion.

And... A seven paragraph novel? Man, that's condensed. But I digress.

So, as the GDers say...

EPIC FAIL.  

SilverBellsAbove

Roguemagus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:07 pm
Quote:
I've noticed, all 'literates' are pretty much elitist bastards. And most of them are female.

HEY! I'M A GUY!

Seriously though, this guy's just being a hypocrite. Besides, the one thing I hate more than an elitist is a grammar-mangler.

At least on Gaia.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:25 pm
What is a troll, exactly? Forgive my ignorance.  

Patron with a Mission

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:46 pm
dameonmac5918

A troll is a goblin like fairy tale creature that lives under a bridge and tries to scare Billy-Goats.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:53 pm
dameonmac5918
From Wikipedia:

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

I got called a troll once for pointing out in a thread that the thread's author contradicted himself. I left after that. sweatdrop  

chrystalclear

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:49 am
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather read a seven-paragraph novel in an RPG than "txt tlk".
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:58 am
This is why I don't hang out in the main GD forum. rolleyes The Food and Drinks subforum is much more fun! mrgreen

And I sure as heck am not ugly! D<

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Alexia Angel Holtes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:00 am
Um, I actually disagree with that statement, when he says Illiterate, it means that they can't Read, or Write correctly, in other words, illiterate. I mean, if you look at the whole stand point of the statement, he or she is just trying to degrade others because the lessers can't stand up against being criticied into better grammar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 am
chrystalclear
dameonmac5918
From Wikipedia:

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

I got called a troll once for pointing out in a thread that the thread's author contradicted himself. I left after that. sweatdrop

Thanks for the help ^.^  

Patron with a Mission

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:03 am
Alexia Angel Holtes
Um, I actually disagree with that statement, when he says Illiterate, it means that they can't Read, or Write correctly, in other words, illiterate. I mean, if you look at the whole stand point of the statement, he or she is just trying to degrade others because the lessers can't stand up against being criticied into better grammar.

Very well put, Alexia. Anyone else think this person deserves a smack to the back of the head?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:05 am
dameonmac5918
Alexia Angel Holtes

Very well put, Alexia. Anyone else think this person deserves a smack to the back of the head?

*Takes out her special smacking paddle*  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Alexia Angel Holtes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:30 am
I mean, proper grammar is a must if you are going to get a job, why not practice it in every day works like we do? I mean, it's just common sense. *watches the paddle* Don't hit me, kay?

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff